Author Topic: Joseph Crowfoot - Cheshire, England to Springfield, MA in c.1650  (Read 8943 times)

Offline ATGoldsmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Researching since 2012
    • View Profile
Joseph Crowfoot - Cheshire, England to Springfield, MA in c.1650
« on: Monday 21 July 14 18:23 BST (UK) »
In my tree I have Joseph Crefoote/Crowfoot who was baptised in Tarvin, Cheshire, England on 26th February 1632.  In c.1650 he emigrated to Springfield, Massachusetts and married Mary Hiller/Hillier on 15th April 1658 and had 9 children.  He died on 8 April 1678 in Springfield.

What I would like to know is why he might have gone in the first place and also whether any records can show when he went over.  I say he emigrated in c.1650 but this is a complete guess as I am yet to find anymore records of him still in Cheshire.

Also, is anyone else researching this family?  I descend from Joseph's brother, Samuel.

Thanks,

ATG
British student studying in Poland who loves travelling!

Asbury, Berwick, Birkenhead, Boswell, Campbell, Catlin, C(h)rimes, Clarke, Coles, Crawford, Crowfoot, Denton, Downie, Durrant, Dutton, Eaton, Fairbrother, Goldsmith, Gower, Hawkes, Hepburn, Hulatt, Humstone, Ivory, Kent, Lynn, Lyon, Mahon, Mander, McCann, McGowan, McGregor, McKean, McLeod, McMahon, Meechan, Moses, Nelson, Pelling, Pemberton, Pickstone, Sconce, Stokes, Summerfield, Swannell, Terry, Thorowgood, Tierney, Varney, Webdale.

Offline JudythZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Crowfoot - Cheshire, England to Springfield, MA in c.1650
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 October 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm so excited to read your post. I'm a direct descendant of Joseph Crowfoot who married Mary Hillier in 1658. I know nothing about his roots in England. However, I have much info about him once he came to the U.S. He settled in Springfield, Massachusetts and had several children. I don't know why he left but I do know that he became a freeman in the Puritan church in Springfield. He also fought at Turner Falls in the King Phillip Indian Wars. I would love to know what you do about his brother Samuel and anything else about his life in England.
Judy Z
P.S. I signed on to Rootschat after I found your message on-line. I don't know much about it.

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 October 14 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Judy Z and welcome to Rootschat.

My son, AT Goldsmith is the one who posted the topic, but unfortunately he's not got access to Wi-Fi today.  I'll let him know you've replied, and no doubt you'll hear from him by Monday morning.

Thanks so much for the information you've given.
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline JudythZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 October 14 18:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick reply. I was so excited that after I wrote to your son, I quickly sent an email to a cousin who also researches the Crowfoot family. Several decades ago, her mother paid a genealogist to research the Crowfoot/Crofoot family in the U.S. It is quite lengthy but I am willing to share any info that he might want. However, where he was born and who his parents were was still a mystery. Does your son know his parents' names. By the way, old Joe as I call him had a son named Samuel who spent much time fighting Indians. In fact, his young son Daniel was taken captive in 1704 when he was just four years old and never heard from again.
Judy Z

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 October 14 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi again!

If you do one more post, you can send me a personal message with your e-mail address.  Once I've got your address, I can invite you to our tree on Ancestry.

Offline JudythZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 October 14 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My email is (*). Is your family tree private? To be honest, I have generally ignored family trees on ancestry because I have found so much of the info to be inaccurate. For example, I posted several photos on ancestry of ancestors from Cleveland, Ohio and found them all over ancestry with the wrong families. On ancestry, my family tree is listed under zaczkowski family tree. It is public. I have heard from my cousin and she is as excited as I am.
Thank you for your responses,
Judy Zaczkowski

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 October 14 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy

I've made a note of your e-mail address, but the Moderator will remove it to avoid spammers using it.

If you want to share personal info with Rootschatters, you can use the personal message system.  Now you've posted 3 times, you can click on the person you want to contact, write your message, and they will be the only recipient of that message.

In the meantime I'll invite you to our tree (it's public), and hopefully that will give you some of the info you're looking for.

Offline JudythZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 October 14 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I will wait for the invite. I looked at some of the public trees provided in my hint section, but I don't think any were yours because they had no descendants listed for Joseph brother's Samuel. Thanks again,
Judy

Offline ATGoldsmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Researching since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 October 14 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy,

Mum has sent you an invite to our tree via the email you gave her - most of the tree will be irrelevant to you so I would search for "Joseph Crefoote" so you can find the related people!

Joseph's story begins in a town called Tarvin in Cheshire.  All I have found on Joseph so far (this side of the Atlantic) is his baptism record in Tarvin.  He was baptised on 26th February 1632.  From this we can see his father was called William.  Other baptism records show that William had seven other known children.

William's children (Joseph's siblings) were:
1. Richard
2. Elizabeth
3. William
4. John
5. Samuell
6. (Joseph was the sixth child)
7. Thomas
8. Mathew

Because the baptisms are 17th Century the mother isn't listed so to find her we need to find a marriage for William.  On 3rd March 1616 in Bebington, William married Margaret Johnson.  I assume that the reason they didn't marry in Tarvin is because Margaret was from Bebington.  Their first son, Richard, was baptised in Bebington as well but they moved back to Tarvin to baptise the rest of their children.

To go back further we need to find William's baptism record.  The records show that he was actually baptised as Wylliam Croofout on 24th February 1590 in Tarvin (old records mean a lot of variation in names!).  This shows us his father's name, John.  I have not yet found a marriage or a baptism for John so this is the end of the line for the moment.

We can, however, find siblings of Wylliam and, therefore, uncles of Joseph.

John's children (Joseph's uncles/aunties):
1. Records show a burial in 1581 for a "Mood Croofont" with a father called John.  I'm not sure what gender this child was though!
2. Thomas
3. (Wylliam was the third child)
4. Marie
5. Thomas (the previous Thomas died in infancy)

In other information we can see that John (Joseph's grandfather) was buried on 7th July 1605 in Tarvin and it showed that he was a resident of Duddon (a neighbouring town to Tarvin).

All of this information and more is on the tree.

If you have any queries please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks,

ATG
British student studying in Poland who loves travelling!

Asbury, Berwick, Birkenhead, Boswell, Campbell, Catlin, C(h)rimes, Clarke, Coles, Crawford, Crowfoot, Denton, Downie, Durrant, Dutton, Eaton, Fairbrother, Goldsmith, Gower, Hawkes, Hepburn, Hulatt, Humstone, Ivory, Kent, Lynn, Lyon, Mahon, Mander, McCann, McGowan, McGregor, McKean, McLeod, McMahon, Meechan, Moses, Nelson, Pelling, Pemberton, Pickstone, Sconce, Stokes, Summerfield, Swannell, Terry, Thorowgood, Tierney, Varney, Webdale.