Author Topic: Thomas Barnett b 809 Lincolnshire, UK & Elizabeth b 1814 UK in Baltimore 1850  (Read 1136 times)

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
I have Thomas Barnett b abt 1809 in Lincolnshire, England and his wife Elizabeth (nee Crosby) b abt 1814 Lincolnshire, England. These people emigrated to the USA in 1843, arriving in New York on the ‘Hudson’ 6 Oct 1843. They were accompanied by three sons; Thomas aged 10, Robert aged 7 and James aged 5. There was another son Ephraim aged 2, who died during the voyage on 11 Sept 1843. They had two daughters after their arrival - Elizabeth b 1844 and Mary b 1849.
I have the family on the 1850 Census:
Name:Thomas BarnetEvent Type:CensusEvent Date:1850Event Place:Baltimore county, part of, Baltimore, Maryland, United StatesGender:MaleAge:41Marital Status:Race (Original):Race:Birthplace:EnglandBirth Year (Estimated):1809House Number:545Family Number:558Line Number:22Affiliate Publication Number:M432Affiliate Film Number:279GS Film number:13197Digital Folder Number:004194630Image Number:00122 HouseholdGenderAgeBirthplaceThomas BarnetM41EnglandElizabeth BarnetF37DCJames BarnetM15DCElizabeth BarnetF6MarylandMary BarnetF1Maryland

I have son Thomas’s marriage to ​Ann Eliza BELLIS 8 Jan 1855, Baltimore County, Maryland; and then the only other time I find them is on the 1880 Census for Baltimore City. They have 3 children, Florence aged 24, James aged 22 (a Painter) and Annie 17. Then Thomas dies 30 Jun 1888, aged 54, and Annie dies 02 Nov 1888, aged 48. I have not been able to find death certificates but found their graves on Find a Grave. The second son of Thomas and Elizabeth dies aged 13, 6 Dec 1847 (​IndextoMarriagesandDeaths intheBaltimoreSun1837-1850). Third son James marries Mary Jane Sanders in Baltimore 02 Oct 1859 (Notice in Baltimore Sun) I can’t find Elizabeth and Mary except for the 1850 Census.

I don’t know where to look further. Perhaps the parents went back to UK, or wife died and husband went back?  Maybe son James went to live somewhere else with his wife? Maybe the girls died? But why can’t I find any records anywhere.

I have had this family on here before but didn't have all this information.
Can anyone suggest where to go from here?
Thank you
Jan Moon
Queensland, Australia
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Barnett b 809 Lincolnshire, UK & Elizabeth b 1814 UK in Baltimore 1850
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 14 06:24 BST (UK) »
Ancestry.com has a couple of Public Member Trees that contain members of this family, with some additional info.  For example, they show the father, Thomas Barnett, dying in Baltimore in 1868.

You should also look up the family members in the Baltimore city directories - also available on Ancestry.  This may help you narrow down dates of death, or identify where they should appear in the censuses based on their address.

I couldn't find the family in the 1860 census, but I found possible matches for some of the children living with other families or institutions, so perhaps the mother died and/or the family broke up before that.

Finally, you should take a look at the Maryland State Archives website.  They have most of the old vital records, and most death records are indexed.

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Barnett b 809 Lincolnshire, UK & Elizabeth b 1814 UK in Baltimore 1850
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 July 14 01:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately the records for the relevant dates at the Maryland and Baltimore Archives are on Ancestry, and I can't afford a world subscription at this time.

Guess I'll just have to wait till I can, but thank you for the information, and your time.
Regards
Jan
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline john barnett

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Barnett in 1860 census may be Barrett in 1870 Barnitt