Author Topic: cassidy  (Read 8164 times)

Offline sharon123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
cassidy
« on: Thursday 23 March 06 20:31 GMT (UK) »
could anyone help me ive hit a brick wall. why is is so difficult to research irish ancestors.
i am looking for ambrose cassidy who i think came form the leitrim area i did find a reference on 1857 griffiths valuation and also an ambrose cassidy born 1837 in leitrim. don't know whether this is correct or not as i have his daughter as mary cassidy born 1846 in ireland think leitrim but that would make him 9 which i dont think is correct. if anyone out there could help it would be great.
balmforth, leadbeater, wilby, smith - yorkshire
cassidy - co. leitrim. cregg - co. roscommon
o'neill, mccluskey - middlesbrough
platt - derbyshire

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: cassidy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 March 06 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I know you are after Ambrose but not sure if you think Ambrose (1837) or Mary (1846) is the person you are basing your research on. These two may well be siblings.
IGI has a Mary born 1868 to Ambrose and Ann McPaddan. This would then be the daughter.
Griffiths at http://www.failteromhat.com has both Ambrose Cassidy and McPaddens in the townland of Ummera. Some families still there in 1901.
This site: http://www.irishgenealogy.ie which gives both baptism and Griffiths references has a link to Leitrim Genealogy Centre and if you are certain it might be necessary to have that search (perhaps expensive). If you could find the church records  - a local LDS centre could order them on microfilm for you.
good luck
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mmcpadden1947

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 December 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Sharon,
I have seen your message on another site,re :Cassidy & Ambrose.I knew this family,all of whom have long gone from the farm in Ummera.
In 1901 census: Cassidy : Ummera
Mary   :  widow,age 40,head of family.
Mary    : niece,  age  16  ( McPartlin)This is also family name of Mary,above.
Michael:  son,    age 6
Catherine: daughter, age 5
Bridget     : daughter, age 3
Anne         : daughter, age 1.
I know from local knowledge that Marys husband was an Ambrose & must have been recently dead in 1901.
Catherine (Kate) was the only member to get married,to Patsy Miley Darcy.
Some of her family & grandchildren are still alive.
In 1911 census all of those there in 1901 are still there

I am sorry but my email address is not working

Offline sharon123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 23:47 GMT (UK) »
hi there,
thank you so much for replying to my subject of ambrose cassidy, i was so excited to find someone who had known the family. my connection is an ambrose cassidy born i think around 1795 and he had a daughter mary born c1846 who i would think was the ambrose you knew s sister. she married a darby cregg from roscommon in england and they were my gt gt grandparents.
i have struggled to find anything out about them or the family as it is really hard to find irish records as you probably know. if you have any information about the living family for me i would be most grateful. is ummera still there? i have promised myself one day i will go over and take a look around.
once again thank you so much for the information you have already given me sorry i couldnt put your name but you didnt tell me what it was.
sharon
balmforth, leadbeater, wilby, smith - yorkshire
cassidy - co. leitrim. cregg - co. roscommon
o'neill, mccluskey - middlesbrough
platt - derbyshire

Offline johnroscommon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 03:13 GMT (UK) »
For the location of Ummera townland visit  http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/inishmagrath.html

LDS film 846361 shows the change of occupiers of land from c1855 to 1920.

There is another  Ummera townland in Annaduff Civil parish.

For the 1901 Census of Leitrim visit www.leitrim-roscommon.com

For more details chech the Resource County Leitrim 2006 CD at your local library.

John

Offline mmcpadden1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 19:17 GMT (UK) »
hi there,
thank you so much for replying to my subject of ambrose cassidy, i was so excited to find someone who had known the family. my connection is an ambrose cassidy born i think around 1795 and he had a daughter mary born c1846 who i would think was the ambrose you knew s sister. she married a darby cregg from roscommon in england and they were my gt gt grandparents.
i have struggled to find anything out about them or the family as it is really hard to find irish records as you probably know. if you have any information about the living family for me i would be most grateful. is ummera still there? i have promised myself one day i will go over and take a look around.
once again thank you so much for the information you have already given me sorry i couldnt put your name but you didnt tell me what it was.
sharon

Offline mmcpadden1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,
The townland of Ummera is still there,however nodody lives there anymore.Cassidys would have been the last inhabited house.Michael was the last to die in 1981,Anne in 1960,Bridget in 1975 & Kate DArcy in 1983.
Most of the land is now under forrestry.The house has  fallen down.
If you are coming I can arrange to go to the area & take you there.I know you would never find it otherwise.The nearest road is about three quarters of a mile away & one walks up hill through the fields.

Jim DArcy is 80+ & lives in Lisnanerris,near Drumkeerin.A sister lives in St.Bridgets,a home for older people in Drumkeerin.Jim told me he doesnt write.I contacted him  last year on a cousins behalf to get an address for his nephew,John Kelleher who lives in Dublin.John has 2 other brothers that I know of.
              Maura

Offline mmcpadden1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 12 19:18 BST (UK) »

Just coming across a previous message re the Cassidys of Ummera I should have said that the Jim DArcy I mentioned is a grandson of Ambrose Cassidy,who died about 1900.
 Ambrose being a rather unusual name was perhaps a family name.
                                                              Maura