Author Topic: McPadden from Leitrim  (Read 15229 times)

Offline hmcpadden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McPadden from Leitrim
« on: Monday 14 September 09 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have hit a brick wall and hope someone may be able to help.  My grandfather, Patrick Francis McPadden was born in Drumkeerin (7/28/1904).  His parents were Patrick McPadden (b. 1869) and Mary Higgins (b. 1873).  As stated on their marriage certificate, from 1899, their fathers were listed as Patrick McPadden and Francis Higgins.  I believe Francis Higgins was married to Bridget Gaffney but can not find any other information on Patrick McPadden (my gggfather) or who his wife was.  I checked the LDS website and the only other McPadden that I could find in the area who had a son named Patrick born around around 1869 was a Francis McPadden and Mary McNella. Could the marriage certificate found on the Leitrim Geneology website have the wrong name for Patrick's father?

Sorry, so many Patricks I am sure it gets confusing.

McPadden and Higgins from County Lietrim and Bridget Gaffney from County Sligo.

Offline mmcpadden1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McPadden from Leitrim
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 09 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
As we share the same surname I had a particular interest in your message but unfortunately cannot help with your query.
I would suggest you join Drumkeeranfolk@yahoogroups.com.This site covers all of North Leitrim & in the relatively recent past there have been posts concerning the families you mention
 Good Luck :  Maura
I am sorry but my email address is not working

Offline johnroscommon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 December 09 05:19 GMT (UK) »
You state that Patrick Francis McPadden was born in Drumkeerin (7/28/1904).  How did you find the birth details?
Maybe the place of birth was Derrinvoney Upper townland in
 Inishmagrath Civil parish.
Births registered in Drumkerran Registrar’s District includes Derrinvoney Upper townland.
See the 1901 Census entry for Derrinvoney Upper townland – www.leitrim-roscommon.com. It lists both Patrick and Mary.
Patrick and Mary and two children (including Patrick Francis) are listed on the 1911 Census of Derrinvoney Upper townland. See http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Leitrim/Mahanagh/Derrinvooney_Upper/655366/
For the 1834 Tithe Applotment of Derrinvoney Upper townland see LDS Film 256619.
For the 1857 Griffith’s Valuation of Derrinvoney Upper townland see LDS film 844986 Item 2 (1857)
For change of occupiers of land in Derrinvoney Upper townland 1856-1920 see LDS film 846361
For the location of  Derrinvoney Upper townland visit http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/inishmagrath.html
I suggest you don’t pay for Irish research until you understand how the system operates.
For more detail on Derrinvoney Upper townland see the Resource County Leitrim CD in your library.

John

Offline hmcpadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, John. 

I have the actual birth cert. for Patrick Francis (I tried to attach it but it seems to be too large).  I have seen the 1901 and 1911 census records and yes, that is the correct family on both.  My problem is finding information on Patrick's family farther back.  I will have to check the LDS films you suggested. 

Thanks again,
Heather

Offline mmcpadden1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Heather,
Is it correct to say your family came from Derrinvoney.
                                                              Maura

Offline hmcpadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Maura, that is correct.

Offline mmcpadden1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 January 10 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Heather,
I located the Inishmagrath townland map & see where your Derrinvoney townland is situated between an area called Corry & Kilbride,the old cemetery site.It would be 2- 3 miles from the village of Drumkeeran.
I was able to pinpoint it by identifying some I knew around it.
If you are ever coming over I could meet you & know of 2 people in the area who could show us the exact place of your ancestors.
Those people are getting scarce.

While I was reared in Co.Cavan,just over the county divide & have been away for a long time I have a general idea of the geography of the area.
My McPadden ancestors came from Derrintawy,near Dowra.In recent years I have located cousins in the U.S.whose mothers were McPadden & it is a wonderful experience.Some of us have already met & others have plans made.

You can email me for further info.
                                                  MAURA

Offline johnroscommon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 January 10 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I suggest you look at LDS film 846361. It lists the Change of Occupiers of land in Derrinvoney Upper townland from 1857 to 1920. If you work back from 1901 you may be able to locate the piece of land and trace the changes of occupiers back to Griffith’s valuation in 1857.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&Submit=Submit&familyname=kilkenny&firstname=james&baronyname=&countyname=LEITRIM&unionname=&parishname=

The 1834 Tithe Applotment records for Derrinvoney North are on LDS film 256619.
Derrinvoney North townland Inishmagrath Civil parish.
For a map of Inishmagrath Civil parish visit
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/inishmagrath.html
Be aware that McPadden is often listed in the LDS records as Mc Padden and not found under “Mc”. (Need to search for Padden).
Possible sister to Patrick (senior):
Anne McPadden b 30 Mar 1874   Birth registered in Drumkeeran RD, Leitrim
Parents Michael McPadden & Catherine Galllagher
For explanation of terms used visit http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/Notes.pdf

Offline mmcpadden1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 January 10 00:29 GMT (UK) »
This is very interesting.On my family tree we have Michael McPadden 1840-1882,married to Catherine Gallagher with a daughter Anne born 1874,died 1951.There were also Bridget,b.1866,Mary b.1869, Rose Ann 1872- 1920, Catherine 1876 - 1914,John,b.1879.

I had contact with the ggrand daughter of Rose Ann.Michael & Catherine were married on Nov.23rd 1865 in Killargue.Michael died as a  young man at the ancestral home of his wife in Gortnacorkoge, Killargue.Michael was from Derrintovey.No trace can be found of Catherine afterwards.She may have remarried or emigrated to U.S.A. with her children.
                                                                   Maura