Author Topic: Gilrain family  (Read 9657 times)

Offline bananahoagie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gilrain family
« on: Saturday 08 December 12 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the Gilrain family in Leitrim. Fanny Gilrain is found living with her husband of one year Peter O'Brien in Longford (1911 census) but says she was born leitrim.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Gilrain family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 December 12 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Is this your O'Brien family in 1911 ?

O'Brien household, Drumlish townland

Peter is a postman, born Co. Longford and the couple is married about 1 year. I think the place to start would be with their marriage cert as this would give you their places of residence at the time, plus their father's names and occupations.

I'll have a search of the BMD Index for a possible match - presumably in Leitrim, Longford or maybe an adjacent county...

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 December 12 16:28 GMT (UK) »
this looks like a good possible marriage :

Name: Frances Gilrane
  Registration district:   Mohill
  Event type: Marriage
  Quarter and year: Oct-Dec 1909
  Volume: 3 / Page: 191

There's a Peter O'Brien listed with the same references, so very likely a cross-match.

Mohill registration covers parts of Co. Leitrim, so could fit with the area that Frances was born. Marriages usually took place in the parish where the bride was living at the time, which may not necessarily be where she originated.

For details of research certs, ordering etc - see :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
   Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 December 12 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to rootschat  :)

Family Search has the probable marriage index here

and Peter O'Brien has the same reference.  The certificate would give you more details.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 December 12 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bananahoagie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 December 12 16:54 GMT (UK) »
i forgot to include i had the 1901 census as well yes that is the right family and the right one in drumlish. This is  all i have been able to find.  i dont know peter o'briens fathers name nor do i know his mothers maiden name although i know by the 1901 census he was born in longford and his mothers name is Cathrine. i have exhausted the past 2 months attempting to find more information about peter obrien that i have flat out given up so today i started looking more into fanny gilrain's family hoping to find more information there. i have no clue where fanny died but know peter died in westmeath at his daughters i know fanny and peter had 5 or 6 children.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 December 12 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I think that possible marriage is the next step - should give you a few useful clues to help in your next searches. With a common surname like O'Brien you need all the clues you can get..

At least the surname Gilrain is less common, although there are a few spelling variations to watch out for.

If they stayed in the same area then the Registration District to check for is Longford (based in the county town), or maybe one of those adjacent - i.e. Mohill, Carrick-on-Shannon, Strokestown, Roscommon (town), Ballymahon & Granard. Cavan and Mullingar districts are also very close.

These are the Gilrain deaths listed on the BMD Index after 1911 - include several in Longford and Mohill districts : Gilraine - 1911 to 1958

see : Details included on a Death Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline WillyJim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 August 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
Looking for the Gilrain family in Leitrim. Fanny Gilrain is found living with her husband of one year Peter O'Brien in Longford (1911 census) but says she was born leitrim.

I think I can help you with some information (if it's not too late as I've only just found this site). I'm a bit foggy on some names and dates. Peter O'Brien of Drumlish was my grandfather. I never knew Fannie as she died long before I was born.

Frances (Fannie) Gilrain ( I think from Mohill) was married to Peter O'Brien, postman from Drumlish, and they lived in Currabawn, Drumlish. They had 5 children: Mary (born 1912)  followed by Patrick, Kathleen, Bernard, and Elizabeth (Lily).

Frances died apparently from pneumonia at around the age of 50, so therefore about 1928.

Mary  who was the eldest child of Fannie and Peter, married William McClelland of Kilbeggan, Westmeath, in Dublin in 1939 but lived afterwards in Kilbeggan.  They had 3 children, a girl and then two boys. Mary's husband died in 1955. Her father, Peter O'Brien, moved to Kilbeggan around the mid-1950s. He died in about 1961.  Mary lived on in Kilbeggan until her death in 1980.

Patrick and Kathleen both moved to London where they settled. Pat married Bridie McHale from County Mayo. They had 2 children, a girl and a boy, and lived for many years in Woodgreen, North London.

Kathleen married an Englishman. They had one child, a son, and lived in Peckham, South London.

Bernard was said to have run away to the USA when he was around 18 years old, and nothing further was heard from him until around 2003 a man claiming to be the son of Bernard made contact with one of the London family members. This man said his father - Bernard O'Brien - had survived the 2nd world war and lived in Michigan, USA. Bernard died aged around 80.

Lily, the youngest of the family, left Drumlish around 1954 I believe, and also settled in London. She married an Englishman - Harry Coutts - and had 2 daughters.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Offline bananahoagie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 19:13 BST (UK) »
I hope you get this reply quickly  im very interested in speaking with you. Lil coutts came over here and met us back in 2006 i believe James O'Brien is Bernard O'Brien's son  Im not sure the best way to contact here