Author Topic: Darvill - 1861 Croydon census.  (Read 5391 times)

Offline Maxima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Darvill - 1861 Croydon census.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi JDF,

I am related to Henry Darvill and Eliza Beadle via their son George Darvill (1863-1900). We haven't been able to get further back from Henry Darvill (1821-1877), as he was apparently born in France. We only have his father's name - William Darvill - from the marriage certificate. But we have quite a bit of information about Eliza (1828-1911) and their 11 children. We believe they had a total of 15 children, but 4 died young. Eliza's parents were Martin Beadle (1793-1869) and Amy Weller (1796-1877) both from Surrey.

I think you have to do 3 posts on here before I can send you a direct message. But you're welcome to any information we have.

Offline JDF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Maxima

Thank you for your reply. 

My husband is related to Henry Darvill and Eliza Beadle via Elizabeth Darvill who's surname, following three marriages, became Machin, then Kelsey (my husband's Great Grandfather) and finally Marshall.  She seems a little unlucky with her husbands!

We live in Surrey so hopefully I'll be able to do some more research on Martin Beadle and Amy Weller.

I didn't realise you have to post three times to get a direct message.  Only need another one then!

I would be most grateful for any information you have regarding the family.

Thanks again.

Bedfordshire - Crowsley
Essex - Ward
Huntingdonshire - Peacock
Middlesex - Horsnell, Taylor

Offline Maxima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, it's great to have found someone related to Elizabeth Darvill as my great grandfather George Darvill is listed on a couple of the census records living with her and her husband Edward Kelsey, and their two children. (1881 and 1891 census, George is living with them at 46 Waddon New Road.)

I have Elizabeth as outliving all three of her husbands! I haven't been able to find out anything about her 1st husband though. On her marriage certificate to Edward Kelsey in 1880 she is listed as Elizabeth Machin, widowed - but I haven't found a marriage prior to that to a Machin.

I have a transcript of Amy Weller/Beadle's will from 1877 which I can pass on. Amy's parents were James Weller (born 1769 Horley - died 1854 Croydon) and Amy Byshe (born 1770 Horley - died 1810 Horley.) I have been in touch with someone related via Emma Louisa Darvill (Elizabeth's sister) so we've been pooling our information. Hopefully I'll be able to send you a direct msg next go.

Offline JDF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 April 14 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hello, I've also tried to find out about Elizabeth's marriage to Machin but, the same as you, I've not found anything.  I've tried searching for slight changes in the spellings but still not joy.  Sadly, she must have been quite young when she was widowed first time round.

The transcript would be great, if it's possible?

Thanks again.
Bedfordshire - Crowsley
Essex - Ward
Huntingdonshire - Peacock
Middlesex - Horsnell, Taylor