Author Topic: Robert Elliot of Castleton  (Read 4690 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Elliot of Castleton
« on: Sunday 27 October 13 06:09 GMT (UK) »
  I wonder if some kind person could check the 1851 census for me to see who Robert Elliot was living with at that time.

I know from Family Search Census that he was then 83 years old and was born in Roxburghshire.  That matches the christening of a Robert Elliot at Castleton on 3rd May 1767 son of William Elliot and Maly Haliburton.    The Family Search census for 1841 has a Robert Elliot born in 1762, so I wonder if this was a mistake?

The reason for my interest is a request I came across several days ago in Genes Reunited dated Feb 2011.    It was asking for information about James Turnbull born 1770 Bellingham and died 1867 at Stanhope, Co.Durham.    They went on to say that their gt.gt.grandfather was Walter Borthwick and he had left a cutting in a notebook with a report on the death of James Turnbull and the children he had fathered.

James Turnbull was in fact my gt.gt.gt.grandfather who was born Falstone 1770 and married Betty Elliot in Dumfries but lived in Castleton before going south, so now I am trying to discover what the connection was with Walter Borthwick.

At first I thought that it had to be through Janet Elliot who was the wife of Walter Borthwick.  her death certificate names her father as Robert Elliot a Shepherd and her mother as Betty Elliot.   Janet married Walter at Newcastleton.    However I now suspect that Walter and James were related through the Halliburton's - Maly Halliburton being Robert's mother, whilst the 1851 census for Stanhope shows a Robert Halliburton living with James and described as his nephew who was born in Scotland.   This fits the christening of Robert Halyburton on 5 March 1810 at Castleton parents being John Halyburton and Anne Elliot.

At this point I would like to establish that Robert Elliot the Shepherd of Castleton was the father of Janet Elliot.     Hopefully either the 1841 or 1851 census may have a Betty or Elizabeth Elliot as his wife.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Elliot of Castleton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 October 13 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is the one your looking at ?
http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/51transcript.aspx?houseid=79201099

You can also check here http://www.freecen.org.uk/
Have a look at the database coverage before searching , not all areas have been done yet.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Elliot of Castleton
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 October 13 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is the one your looking at ?
http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/51transcript.aspx?houseid=79201099

You can also check here http://www.freecen.org.uk/
Have a look at the database coverage before searching , not all areas have been done yet.

ev
   Many thanks Ev.   This effectively removes that Robert Elliot from my search.    To be honest I hadn't come across 'Freecen' before and that is an enormous plus.  Thank you so much for that.  The Death certificate for Janet Elliot confirms her marriage to Walter Borthwick and I do know that her sister Agnes was living in Annfield Plain, Co. Durham in 1851 so I think I'll turn my search in that direction next.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields