Author Topic: Poor relief in Greenock ?  (Read 4367 times)

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poor relief in Greenock ?
« on: Tuesday 21 October 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
Just back from the Mitchell Library and sought out 2 poor relief applications for Great grandfathers , interesting info on them . I also emailed the Mitchell regarding the Greenock Poorhouse and they say there is no records of that . Im sure ive seen on some forums and possiby here that records were handed in from an ex employee . I could be wrong , im looking for info on a great Grandfather who died there in 1902 . an help greatly appreciated ,Ramie.
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Poor relief in Greenock ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Ramie

Saw your other post on William today...

Pg.35/36 on this doc is the best I can see really www.myainfolk.com/Resources_files/Records_of_the_Scottish_Poor.pdf

You were at the Mitchell you mentioned on the other post. This, together with the Watt Library, are the best sources for you in terms of what references are available.

Monica  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Rayjamgor, Greenock is not in Lanarkshire. It's in Renfrewshire. If I were you I'd start by trying the Inverclyde Council's Watt Library.

Topic moved.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Stairheedrammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 17:42 BST (UK) »
As the Greenock poor house became Smithston Asylum and then Ravenscraig Hospital some of the records might be in the Greater Glasgow and Clyde archive, some of which is online.
Gillespie- Glasgow
Hutton- Glasgow
Lynch- St Johnstown and Derry
Bradley- Derry

Offline Stairheedrammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
That should read Greater Glasgow and Clyde NHS archives
Gillespie- Glasgow
Hutton- Glasgow
Lynch- St Johnstown and Derry
Bradley- Derry

Offline abunile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 September 15 18:09 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this could be the thread you mean.

http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=3236&p=localities.britisles.scotland.rfw.general

I'm afraid it does not help much, but seems to proce that the records did exist, and the Mitchell received them.

Good luck searching.

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 September 15 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks ,abunile.Still none the wiser if the records exist or not or if there available to view or not . Recently been to Paisley Museum/Family Heritage to view more ancestors who died in there 2 Poorhouses .
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 15:07 BST (UK) »
hi, I tried all of the sources mentioned and there is no trace of the Greenock Poorhouse records. Apparently they were destroyed. It's really sad they don't exist any more.  The only records retained by the Glasgow Health Board source mentioned here is records which relate to the asylum side of the poorhouse.
I was fortunate enough to trace something in Mitchell Library relating to a relative of mine because she went to a poorhouse in Glasgow because she had clearly had a stroke. So they had some records relating to her at the Mitchell. Might be worth a check again there. Good luck.
McKenzie Grant Killin Gallagher/Gallacher