Author Topic: Request: Richard McCarthy - Makaraka Cemetery Gisborne  (Read 5686 times)

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Richard McCarthy - Makaraka Cemetery Gisborne
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 March 14 21:15 BST (UK) »
You say you have requested to view both probates,this can only be done in person at the Archives office they are held,William's is in Wellington and Leonora's is at Auckland,I hope to get to the Auckland Archives in the next week and could view Leonora's for you if you would like.

Cheers Janette

Offline lamahorse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 March 14 21:22 BST (UK) »
I called the Auckland Office over skype just this minute and they have a system in place where you can view records online. You just need to provide the reference, pay a fee and they will send you a link to view it. The Wellington Office has a similar system and I fired them off a similarly worded email.

Janette, you have to excuse my ignorance of New Zealand history; but if he became a farmer near Gisborne; surely there is a record of the land he was granted? I'm not privy to how New Zealand was colonised/settled.

It's quite something to find out that family 'lore' was actually true. There is even another story that Richard followed other McCarthy's who emigrated around the time of the famine but I have no conclusive proof of that.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 March 14 21:38 BST (UK) »
This describes the land he won in the ballot

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ypj/

" Richard McCarthy was the successful applicant in the ballot for section 26, block 1, Pouparae settlement."

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 March 14 21:44 BST (UK) »
There is a description of the Pouparae settlement here

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ypk/

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 March 14 22:19 BST (UK) »
There is some land in Gisborne called Pouparae Park whick is now a vineyard

385 Bushmere Road, Patutahi, Gisborne

Cheers Janette

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hello.

I've flicked off a personal email to a Gisborne born and bred Genealogist, with a link to this forum thread. They are quite knowledgeable re local history, and Grand Kids permitting [school holidays are upon us] I expect that they may choose to get back with suggestions.

Regards,

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline lamahorse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 11:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alan and Janette once again.

My father found that Richard was uncle/ Godfather to a Michael Lynch here in Ireland. Seems that he left Southampton for New Zealand on the day after Richard died. Eventually he returned back to Mohanagh to inherit the family farm a few years later.

I have yet to receive an acknowledgement of receipt from both Auckland and Wellington Offices. The lady I talked to over skype said that there was an automated system of reply so aside from my email not working as intended;  ill call the Auckland Office again night when the time difference allows.

Alan, that would be quite something. Someone from the area would be amazing.

Finally, my great aunt remembers hearing that Richard got the idea of Australia/NZ from presumably his uncles who emigrated during/after the famine. I'm guessing he left sometime between 1885 and 1893 for Australia. His father Michael died before 1890 and his eldest brother John who was a sickly man died around the same time. I haven't got their death certs as the Registry Office here in Dublin is a total scam. For Skibbereen in one year, you might have 20 Michael McCarthys registered as dying. At 4 euro a search, it's expensive searching them all just to learn none are related.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
The wait for a reply from Archives can sometimes be lengthy,the offer to view the file in Auckland is still open if you would like,I will be going in the next week,

Cheers Janette

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 20:28 BST (UK) »
This describes the land he won in the ballot

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ypj/

" Richard McCarthy was the successful applicant in the ballot for section 26, block 1, Pouparae settlement."

Cheers Janette

Hello Janette

Re your PP clip; I find the SELFISH ADVOCACY editorial comment, on the politics of the day re increased access to land locked Gisbourne quite revealing. Thirty years ago my research in that area stalled until I realized that many of the settlers were ex Auckland and the Waikato, and it was sea trips back to Auckland for trading and business. Mean time I was looking for records in Wellington. No PapersPast on line then.

In the end a Gisbourne lady was able to give me the link I was looking for, and access to some 247 names to add to our genealogy research. In the clip I see several surnames, I now know to link to Gisbourne's early settlement.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.