Author Topic: Truth / Fiction Glasgo family tale  (Read 3772 times)

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Truth / Fiction Glasgo family tale
« on: Thursday 28 May 09 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this board from Australia.

I am hoping someone may be able to confirm or disprove a tale / fact that my husband and I have come across in relation to one of his family lines.

Charles McRae head of clan McRae in Scotland at the time of Bonnie Prince Charlie was meant to have fled Scotland for Ireland (changing his name to Glasgo) following the famous battle of Culloden Moore. He was then to have married an Irish girl who bore him a son. Charles Glasgo then by name died. The Scots wanting an heir to the clan offered that they should take the boy and raise him as the head of the clan with all the wealth and title. She refused and elected to raise him herself in the Catholic faith and forgo all wealth.

His grandson was Thomas Glasgo whose grandson Charles Glasgow (aged 40 a gardener) immigrated to Australia in 1840  on the Elphinstone with his wife Julia and children John, Thomas, Anne, Daniel and James.

We have so far only information on the family in Australia. Any leads for Ireland would be greatly appreciated.

LINCOLNSHIRE= Crow / Crowe, Thompson, Everatt, Greenwood, Westfield, Lamminam / Lamiman (various spellings), Pattinson; CAMBRIDGESHIRE & NORFOLK= Bishop, Dewey, Gotobed, Powell, Carter, Spencer; CORNWALL = Chesterfield, Clemes, Williams, Trythall, Grillett; IRELAND, KILKENNY= Byrne, KILDARE = Glasgow, WICKLOW = Kinsella

Offline karynyts

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Truth / Fiction Glasgo family tale
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 December 12 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I realise this is a very old thread, however, I too have heard this family story and would love to know if you have anymore information about it.

I am also from Australia.  Daniel Glasgow, Charles Glasgow's son, was my great great grandfather and I read this story in a family history which my father was given by a family member.  My father passed away 11 years ago and this document was not in his belongings and I have been trying to find a copy ever since. 

I cannot confirm the truth of the story, but it was definitely researched by a family member - which family member, I could not tell you. 

I would love to hear more about this and anything you know about the family's life in Ireland.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Karyn