Author Topic: Downings Graveyard & Other Nearby Ones  (Read 14649 times)

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
Re: Downings Graveyard & Other Nearby Ones
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 June 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
Me again. Yes, there is a small (but more modern) burial ground on the back road from Hatters Cross to Killybegs. It might be called Killybegs, just to be confusing...

Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Closed Account

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information, Caroline.  I have added it to my files to help with the research.  I still haven't come across anything definitive by way of cemeteries since the prior posts, although I am pretty much ruling out Downings and Caragh since someone local was nice enough to check there for me and didn't notice any relevant headstones.  That seems to leave me with Old Killybegs and other places in surrounding areas which I haven't looked into as much. 

The family lived in Curryhills and Prosperous, and all of the baptism and marriage documents I've come across took place in Caragh parish other than one which notes Clane.  I know that later on most of the surviving Larmons moved to Dublin or the USA circa 1895-1925, and so I will keep up the search.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
some details on the records available for the parish of Caragh from the Irish Times website - no burials though : link

You can check other parish details for the county here : RC Parishes Co. Kildare

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Raywest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 February 12 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you seen the burial of Elvyn Larmon from Prosperous at St Michael and All Angels in 1857. Aged 73. (B 1784)

http://thestewartsinireland.com/st%20michaels%20&%20all%20angles%20church.html

This is not surprising as it is probably the nearest graveyard to Downings other than Clane.

The 1901 has Larmons in Clane: Mrs Catherine Larmon born 1844 related to the Reillys. The 1911 has Christopher born 1855, a publican, with his wife Agnes. Larmon was related to the Seerys.

See also 

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.britisles.ireland.general/9976.1.1.1.1/mb.ashx

I'll leave it to the locals to help with geography as it's a long time since I used to cycle from Sallins to Prosperous and on to visit the Hills of Garravogue. Cyril in Kilmeague is well placed – I went to school there.

Ray

Researching Tyrrell Lazenby and Price, ancestors from Aylmer Folly on the Hill of Allen. Hill, Gibby and Byrne from around Prosperous

Offline Closed Account

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 February 12 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information.  I had been aware of the Elvyn Larmon death, but not the location of his burial.  I haven't been able to connect him to my family though, and am not sure about whether or not there is a link as all of the folks on my side seem to have been Catholic.  With regard to the census information, the Larmons from 1911 are definite relatives, but the Catherine Larmon from 1900 is still a mystery to me. 

I have not been back looking at this branch of the family for awhile, but process of elimination has made it seem more likely that the family is buried in Dublin rather than Kildare.  Some of the surviving children moved there after marrying, and it's possible that family was originally from Dublin and had plots in a cemetery there.  Our surname does not appear to be that common, but unfortunatey for me most of the family died in the years just prior to when death registers were kept by the Roman Catholic parish (Caragh) where most of the baptisms occurred.

Offline The Signalman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 January 13 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this message is to JML77 and is in relation to prosperous and Larmons and Cribbens. Firstly I came across a message on ancestry.com from a member called JML77 and im wondering if your the same person. The message was in relation to a Lena and Dennis Cribben? If this is the same person I would be very interested in talking to you as Lena Cribben was my Grandmothers aunt. I know that Lena married a larmon from the states and moved there circa 1920/1925.

Regards
Niall Moore

Offline Closed Account

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Niall, both of the posts you referred to are mine.  I sent you a private message.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 22:05 GMT (UK) »
New members of RootsChat usually require three posts before the PM system is fully available to them - so 'The Signalman' may require a few more posts first.

see : http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Leinster Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests