Author Topic: John Boland Marriage Look up Please.  (Read 4613 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John Boland Marriage Look up Please.
« on: Monday 27 January 14 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi...I am helping a friend with her Family tree and am stuck on finding a birth or marriage.

John Boland b. c.1822 Naas, Kildare...Married Margaret b. c.1828 Mathe, Ireland

There is a match for John in 1841 for John as a Private in Canterbury.

He appears in Hull in 1851 as a visitor with wife Margaret and 10 month old son John and also on following census returns..1861,1871 & 1881

Please could anyone take the time to a birth and marriage record for John.

Thanks for looking.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Boland Marriage Look up Please.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 January 14 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Civil Registration didn't start in Ireland until 1864 so you will need church records.
I'm not getting a result for him on RootsIreland doesn't mean he's not there, the spelling could be different or mis-transcribed.

I'd expect Mathe is Meath.

Do you know if they were RC or COI.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 January 14 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your response...I appreciate your time...I think RC but not sure....The surname is pronounced Bowland if that is of any help.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 January 14 18:21 GMT (UK) »
was John single in 1841 ?

if so the marriage may have taken place in England. Margaret's maiden name would help the search, if they married in England a record of the mariage would show names of the fathers. I had a look for possible births, and found one possible match for one of the children, Joseph Patrick Boland june quarter 1858 Hull, volume 9D, Page 186 Didnt see a match for a birth of John junior. A cert for Joseph should show Margarets surname

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 January 14 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Even if you find the right record it's next to impossible to know that it is correct without more information.
Are you sure the child and marriage didn't happen in England. without the mother's maiden name it is next to impossible.

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 January 14 18:50 GMT (UK) »
the child shown on the 1851 census is 10 months old and born Kingston upon Hull. I ddin't see a listing for him on freebmd, but he could have strange spelling, or missed registration. The other son I mentioned is on the 1861 census, also born Hull

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 January 14 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Aw you are both so good for helping out..I can confirm that his religion was RC....No marital status was given in 1841...I have tried to find a marriage in Hull but there wasn't a suitable match...I think one of the Children's Birth Certs is the way to go.
Thanks so much...I appreciate your time and effort.
Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 January 14 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I found a John Bowland born in Hull in 1850 so maybe it would be a wise move to send for the birth cert.
Carol