Author Topic: Help with Cardigan address please.  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Cardigan address please.
« on: Thursday 28 March 13 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootchatters,
Could someone who lives in or around Cardigan, please help with an address in the St Mary's Parish of Cardigan from the 1871 Census. I am not sure whether this place might have been demolished and new buildings erected etc. As I believe my Gt Gt Gt Grandparents moved back to in the 1860's after the death of their daughter my Gt Gt Grandmother.
Many thanks in advance,
Retpara.

Offline kmart66

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Cardigan address please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 March 13 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Brightlingsea families
Martin, Day, Frostick, Salmon

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 March 13 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Retpara, if you have a look at the neighbours in the census you may get some idea where this address is, or was, by comparing with a modern map, as well as the same area in old-maps.co.uk.

Have a good look up and down the street taking note of all street names. Sooner or later you may come across a street or landmark that still exists today.

It can also be useful if a street name is legible for you to check other census pages in case it is written more clearly elsewhere - obviously only useful for longer, more populated streets that go over a number of pages.  :)

Also, the beginning of the census book has a description of the enumerations district which can sometimes help. I think this is usually Page 1.

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 March 13 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kmart66 and Ruskie,
Many thanks to you both for your invaluable help, it seems that Kevin has hit the nail on the head with his link as it comes under the Saint Mary's Parish. On the census, it is the same address for the full page starting at No146 and ending with No153. On checking with Google Earth and going into street view, I think my hunch was correct all the houses have been knocked down and made into a car park named Greenfield Square.
Once again many many thanks to you both,
Retpara.

Offline Cwch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 May 13 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there
The Mwldan was/is an area in Cardigan off the High Street/Pendre. It has a stream of the same name running through it which had its outlet into the river Teifi, the main river on which the town was built.
At this time the area was very crowded and a lot of people living in it were employed in the trades associated with Cardigan's shipbuilding industry - sailmakers, carpenters, millwrights etc. It was also fairly close to the Workhouse and gaol.
At some stage the area was cleared of its slums, and these days a large car park behind the town hall covers the site, together with the Theatre Mwldan - there was also a clothing factory in the 1980's making clothes under the Slimma brand, which has long since closed.
Check out the local town's museum website and for local history publication published by the Teifiside Advertiser.
St Mary's Cardigan is the registration district for the whole town. The parish church of Cardigan is St. Mary's and has a huge churchyard. The local Cardiganshire FHS publishes MI's for it. Cardigan also has a large number of non-conformist chapels. The municipal graveyard is called Netpool.
Hope this offers some clues? 
Thomas
Davies
Jones
Price
Morris

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 May 13 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Cwch,
Many thanks for your response, just got back after a few day's away. The information you have supplied is very valuable to me, as it gives me an idea of the type of lifestyles my Gt Gt Gt Grandparents went through after moving from, I believe Tremain's near Cardigan to Merthyr Tydfil and then back again to Mwldan in Cardigan after their daughter my Gt GT Grandmother died in Merthyr Tydfil. As they moved back in their later years I can only assume that this is where they probably ended their lives. So on the information you have supplied I can now search for them possibly in the Netpool cemetery and also the Cardigan F.H.S. site.
Many thanks once again,
Retpara.