Author Topic: Help please: William Tomsey CREECH  (Read 16637 times)

Offline sharon rothery

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please: William Tomsey CREECH
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 08 November 14 09:03 GMT (UK) »
I have seen that death for a Francis Creech but on the navy records a Francis Creech signed Williams enlistment papers in 1863.  The website find my past is having a free weekend this weekend so I am downloading as many listings and documents I think may be related to them.  I will be dizzy by monday :)

Sharon

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 09 November 14 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Sharon I suggest you download the 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 census for Francis/Frank CREECH born c1828, bootmaker with wife Eliza and more chn. I can't find a second marriage.  I'm pretty sure he died as Francis T CREECH in 1917 although he age is wrong.  Possibly his wife Eliza died in 1917 also.  There was c10 gap in their ages on the various census.

Frank stated they were married 49 years in 1911 so they either moved in together immediately following Anne's death or married around that time.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sharon rothery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have downloaded and copied as much as possible.  I have a copy of a marriage certificate for Mary Louisa Creech and Thomas Hambley but it is very hard to read in places.  Do you know if it is possible that victoria bmd would be able to have a look at the original and clear up some difficult to read parts?
I am having problems reading the maiden name of Thomas' mum Eliza.

Thanks
Sharon.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 13 November 14 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Sharon I doubt Vic BDM would assist you.  Some of the writing is at times almost illegible on the pages of the registers.

Would you like to snip the columns of the certificate that are difficult to read and post them here as an attachment. You are not permitted to post the complete certificate.

I can pm my email address if you would like me to have a look for you.

If you can post some details of Thos ie his age, his place of birth, father's name we may be able to find more info for you from freebdm and 1861 census.

Cando

Offline sharon rothery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 13 November 14 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cando,hope this works

Offline sharon rothery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 13 November 14 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Hambley has himself as comming from Wales England,but I do wonder if the "Wales" was misheard due to not being able to find a birth for him in Wales,There are lots of Hambley' in Somerset so i did wonder if infact it was "wells".  He has himself aged 33 at the time of marriage of 8th June 1889 in Fitzroy,His father is Thomas and mother Eliza (maiden name not clear) looks like it begins with an H or K looking at the writing on the rest of the cert.  The only info we have is what is on the certificate,that and he fathered my great grandfather Claude.  He abandoned mary and claude according to the trove article the intent to remarry from "Louie Hambley"

If the image above is no good,let me know and I can send the full document via email.
Many Thanks Sharon.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 13 November 14 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Looks a little like KENWOOD but I think I would prefer to see the cert.

I've pm'd my email address.

Cheers
Cando

Offline ForBill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 02:31 BST (UK) »
Good Morning all.... newbie here! I am hoping Cando, Dundee and Sharon see this post. This post mainly relates to replies #20, #22 & #32 of this thread.

My dad (Bill) started research on our family tree in early 1960. I got involved, briefly, back in 1995 but family, work etc intervened. Dad passed away a few years ago and I have picked up the baton!

I am not having much luck with the Victorian BDM... either offline for maintenance or crashes when I have tried to research lists... will try again later.

The Harry Power mentioned above is my GGGF. He was born in Melbourne, Victoria 6th February 1865 and died 21st June 1919 Darlinghurst, NSW. Note I am awaiting death certificate. There was an article in a Sydney newspaper on 2nd July 1919 that could be about our Harry. Family knowledge has Harry and his eldest son (William Henry Power, known as William Harry) as champion West Australian billiards champs. Note there are 2 death notices in the West Australian on 23/06/19 for 2 Harry Power's. This has been a stumbling block, I believe, for various people researching this branch of our tree.  The copies my dad and others had were poor copies and the 2nd notice was illegible.

That brings us to Thomas Russell Power... the real stumbling block. Nobody has been able to pinpoint his date of birth. Various records state Cork and probably (sorry to use that word) 1835. Dundee's work for Sharon has thrown a new avenue of pursuit!

Harry's birth certificate has Thomas Russell Power, Clerk, 30 Co Cork Ireland married in 1860 at Collingwood to Elizabeth Hannah, late Lewis formerly Bernard, 32 London. Siblings: Mary Louisa 3 1/2 and Laura Russell 2 1/2. This information was provided on 11th may 1865 by Elizabeth Hannah Power.

I will chase down marriage certificate for TR & EH, but I think they may have lied about 1860 as year of marriage because the 2 Lewis girls (Mary Louisa and Laura) were born after this date.

Now the plot thickens... Thomas Russell, our Clerk turned miner, appears to have married a Kate Annie O'Brien in Ballarat East, Victoria on 9th November 1868 at St Alipius Church. The copy of the marriage certificate is very ordinary but has TR Bachelor  at Clerk 33 and KA Spinster School Mistress at 26 Birthplace Cork for both. TR parents, William Francis Power (accountant)  and Mary Russell. This TR dies 27th September 1916 in Melbourne aged 82, accountant, 40years in Victoria. Parents unknown. Wife Kate O'Brien. Issue: "one male dead William 8/12" Kate died 31st October 1918 Born Cork, 60 years in Victoria, married to Thomas Power in Ballarat (age is illegible) NO ISSUE???? Kate's Will was written before Thomas died, yet no mention of him...all went to her sister(?)

I have in my possession a letter from St Patrick's Cathedral sent to my dad in 1992 confirming the above  marriage as per the Church marriage Register. The only difference is that TR is listed as 35yo

A few people doing research on Thomas Russell Power have his date of death as "before 1891"

So how can all you wonderful "genies" help????

When and what ship did Thomas Russell Power and Elizabeth Bernard arrive in Australia?

When and where did Elizabeth Bernard die? Suggestions that it was 1875, a year after last child was born.

When and where were Thomas & Elizabeth married? Collingwood, Victoria 1860?

Where was Thomas Russell Power born? Cork? Limmerick is a possibility... I will explain why later.

If Thomas was in New Zealand in 1867 then which ship did he leave on? If so who is the Thomas Russell Power marrying Kate Obrien?

I have plenty of questions about Harry Power...but they can wait LOL

I feel that they lied about their marriage date and that Thomas Russell got involved with Elizabeth and "adopted" the Lewis girls and then left Elizabeth and moved to Ballarat and remarried.

I hope the above makes sense and I appreciate people taking the time to read it and hopefully respond. Cheers David Power

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 07:14 BST (UK) »

The Harry Power mentioned above is my GGGF. He was born in Melbourne, Victoria 6th February 1865 and died 21st June 1919 Darlinghurst, NSW. Note I am awaiting death certificate. There was an article in a Sydney newspaper on 2nd July 1919 that could be about our Harry. Family knowledge has Harry and his eldest son (William Henry Power, known as William Harry) as champion West Australian billiards champs. Note there are 2 death notices in the West Australian on 23/06/19 for 2 Harry Power's. This has been a stumbling block, I believe, for various people researching this branch of our tree.  The copies my dad and others had were poor copies and the 2nd notice was illegible.

Hi David,
I really cannot see why these two deaths would be a source of confusion for researchers.

They are clearly for two different men.

The West Australian Saturday 21 June 1919

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/27608583

POWER.—On June 20, at Base Hospital, Fre-mantle, Harry George, late beloved husband of Francis, and father of Harry (America), Ernest (on active service), Arthur (died of wounds), Bert and Stan (returned), Grace and Daisy, Leon and Roll, of Railway-crescent, Bayswater, and late of Brentford, England, also of the Loco. Shops, Midland Junction, aged 56. A patient sufferer at rest.

The West Australian  Monday 23 June 1919

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/27608731

"POWER.-On June 21, at Darlinghurst Sydney, Harry. the beloved husband of Esther and father of William, Dudley, Myrtle,and Polly."
Inserted by his son and daughter in law W. and M. Power

His birth in Vic

POWER Harry
Father Thomas Russell
Mother Elizabeth BERNARD
Birth Place MELB
Year 1865
Reg  10285

This lengthy news item gives a picture of his life.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/58004454

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk