Author Topic: Arthur Morgan and Mary Kelly of Victoria, Australia  (Read 4903 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Morgan and Mary Kelly of Victoria, Australia
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 October 14 06:31 GMT (UK) »
At this Vic site for children in care -
http://access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/component/daPublicBaseContainer?component=daSearchWithinSeries&componentLabel=Search

VPRS.....should be.........4527.......
Name.........Morgan

then Mary MORGAN #9037
notes sisters #1414 and #1415....they are Caroline b. 1855 NSW, and Sarah Ann b. 10 May 1857 Vic.   Father Arthur, mother d. 30 Dec 1868 Castlemaine Hospital

see also at same site  ie   4527 children in care
Arthur MORGAN #1416 and William MORGAN #1417  both taken into care 27 Nov 1865

Offline HeniPeni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Well I have leaned a few more things from birth certificates of the children Arthur, William and Mary. It seems there is another son, the oldest born named Charles Henry Morgan, the ages that are given it looks like he was born in 1851. Also a deceased child in recorded named "Mary". I haven't found a grave for her or any kind of certificates for Mary or Charles.

Another confusing thing is the date of the parents Arthur and Mary's marriage in Bathurst the month of February is given which is great but I'm seeing different years that it happened 1846 x2, 1849 and 1851. I have seen also 1850 on a microfiche record.

Another thing that throws me a bit is the age of the parents Arthur and Mary when each child is born, it seems too young.

In 1857 (when Sarah Ann was born) Arthur 30 and Mary 25
In 1859 (when Arthur is Born)          Arthur 27 and Mary 24
In 1861 (when William was born)      Arthur 33 and Mary 27
In 1863 (the 2nd Mary who lived)     Arthur 35 and Mary 29

I also have Mary Ryan (nee Morgan) the youngest ones death certificate 1941 and it is recorded that her parents Arthur Morgan and Mary formally Kelly were Hotel Keepers, but no clue as to when and where they died.

Offline HeniPeni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,

I have just spotted you post, I cant believe I missed it earlier. I am so supper happy thank you so much, I have been having a little look at the records, a bit hard to make out but I will take more time to look though. I didn't know this site with these type of records were available. Thanks a bunch :)

HeniPeni

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 00:57 GMT (UK) »
I also have Mary Ryan (nee Morgan) the youngest ones death certificate 1941 and it is recorded that her parents Arthur Morgan and Mary formally Kelly were Hotel Keepers, but no clue as to when and where they died.
HeniPeni

author=wivenhoe link=topic=703539.msg5468708#msg5468708 date=1414737071]
At this Vic site for children in care -
http://access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/component/daPublicBaseContainer?component=daSearchWithinSeries&componentLabel=Search

VPRS.....should be.........4527.......
Name.........Morgan

then Mary MORGAN #9037
notes sisters #1414 and #1415....they are Caroline b. 1855 NSW, and Sarah Ann b. 10 May 1857 Vic.   Father Arthur, mother d. 30 Dec 1868 Castlemaine Hospital

see also at same site  ie   4527 children in care
Arthur MORGAN #1416 and William MORGAN #1417  both taken into care 27 Nov 1865
Wivenhoe

There is no death registration for Mary MORGAN in 1868/1869 on the death index.  The death on 30 Dec 1868 would more than likely be registered in 1869.

There is however this inquest and there is no death registration for this Mary MORGAN on the index.  Looks like another death that wasn't registered or didn't reach the Melbourne Registry.

Inquest Index
MORGAN Mary  28 years
Place Castlemaine  1869  Ref#1
Cause Epilepsy

Inquest files are held at PROV.
http://prov.vic.gov.au/research/inquests

I suggest you contact the Castlemaine Cemetery Trust for a search of their burial registers
http://www.australiancemeteries.com/vic/mt_alexander/castlemaine.htm

No way of knowing if this is your Arthur.

MORGAN Arthur
Electoral Roll 1861-1862
Place Castlemaine District, Forest Street.
Qualification Manhood

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ahole

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 November 16 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I am also a descendant of Arthur and Mary Morgan, I am asking if anyone knows the name of the Hotel that Arthur and Mary ran?  My Great Great Grandmother is their daughter Mary, she had lost her right arm, does anyone know how she lost her arm.

Cheers
Min