Author Topic: Scotland to Australia - How long a journey?  (Read 3131 times)

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scotland to Australia - How long a journey?
« on: Friday 14 November 14 15:10 GMT (UK) »
On of my wife's ancestors travelled from Edinburgh to Melbourne in 1854. Can somebody please confirm how long a journey would have been likely to take? He left Edinburgh in the latter part of November 1854 and we now have some evidence (a dated photograph) that he was in Melbourne in 1854, suggesting a maximum journey time of 4 or 5 weeks. Is this possible? Alex.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland to Australia - How long a journey?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 November 14 15:50 GMT (UK) »
The journeys I found on http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/aust1850s.shtml suggest a voyage of 2 or 3 months was standard.

If you know the name of the ship it should be possible to find details.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 November 14 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Phillip. As he left after 18th November 1854 it looks as if the dating of the photograph must be wrong. Alex.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 November 14 16:28 GMT (UK) »
It says on http://museumvictoria.com.au/discoverycentre/websites-mini/journeys-australia/1850s70s/

that a fast clipper, with favourable winds could do the trip in about 2 months?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 November 14 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Here is the list of ships to OZ in the early 1850's. My lot came 1854 on the Kate and it was pretty much 3 months.

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/aust1850s.shtml

As K Garrad says a clipper was faster but also much more expensive. The others lumbered along some taking the more dangerous great circle route and then after a shorter trip banged onto the rocks of Victoria's coast. It is littered with shipwrecks and a very somber place.

A lot of the time factor revolved around at what time of year they left. If they picked up the end of the roaring forties Sept-Dec then it was possible to shorten the trip be far safer and arrive here in summer.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 November 14 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Neil. As no other members of my family (or my wife's - it's her ancestor) left Scotland I have never looked at ships' records before so this is all a new area to me. I notice that these lists refer to these emigrants being dispatched by public funds. My wife's ancestor, Alexander McGlashon, is a bit of an unusual case as he chose to go to Australia for a limited visit of three years, returning about 1857/58 to his wife and family who had remained in Edinburgh. He would have been reasonably well off financially with business interests in Edinburgh and London so I am not sure where his name would be listed as a passenger as I assume that he would have paid his own fare with no public funds involved. Alex

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 November 14 18:33 GMT (UK) »
He should be on a list as mine were. They paid their way, guessing he may have tried the Goldfields or industry in support of to see if money was to be made.
Unassisted Immigrants to NSW.
 http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=43

I will see if he can be found.

Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 November 14 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Interesting! He is not on the lists for either NSW or Victoria. Do you know his business interests?

Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 November 14 19:38 GMT (UK) »
If I had known he used two spelling variations, I may have saved some time.
ALEXR MCGLASHAN AGED 38 ARRIVED VICTORIA IN APR 1855 ON THE SHIP EAGLE as an unassisted passenger.

I am unsure if the ship was called the Eagle or the White Eagle or the Black Eagle but the following gives a great insight into the voyages of that time frame.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/phillipeagles/white_eagle.html

Neil