Author Topic: NSW Lookup Death Record CORLETT in 1975  (Read 4211 times)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Lookup Death Record CORLETT in 1975
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Is this his cremation record?
NSW BDM has only 1 William Corlett death in 1975
http://www.esmp.net.au/search-map-facility/crematorium-search.aspx
William Corlett; age 75; Cremation date 07/11/1975; Burial in Accord
Is there a reason for the delay between death 10th October and cremation 7th November?

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 03:17 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X5G4-YV5
Name: William Essley Corlett
Birth Date: 14 Oct 1900
Birthplace: Douglas, Isle of Man, England
Father's Name: William Alfred Corlett
Mother's Name: Margaret Hannah Caugherty Corlett

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Is this his cremation record?
NSW BDM has only 1 William Corlett death in 1975
http://www.esmp.net.au/search-map-facility/crematorium-search.aspx
William Corlett; age 75; Cremation date 07/11/1975; Burial in Accord
Is there a reason for the delay between death 10th October and cremation 7th November?

Burial in Accord = Burial in accordance with Commonwealth and local government laws.
Most likely state-funded cremation as no one came forward to claim the body or pay for his funeral.
I've seen wait times from a month or longer in the past 40 or so years.
I know of one who died 4 April 2014 in Wodonga & the body was taken to Springvale Botanical Cemetery a month later for burial on the 5 May 2014 at the state's expense 350km's away. The deceased's family live in Albury/Wodonga & wouldn't pay for a funeral so the state decides when, where & how once a body is relinquished to them.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Here are various mentions of a CORLETT from Isle of Man in Australian newspapers - perhaps they fit into your family somewhere  ???
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e81/

regards
  Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline petercorlett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help so far.
I have William Essley Corlett being born in the Isle of Man and on the 1901 and 1911 Census.
I also have him arriving in Australia on 24th March 1925 on SS Borda
I have him leaving Australia ,SS Oransay from Melbourne to London  23 May 1929.
I think his return is on 2 October 1930 in Melbourne on 'Mortton Bay', i have not seen the actual document just the record at recordsearch.naagov.au
I have him on the Riverina Voters list in 1930 via Moama.
Then I have lost him.
I have found a death record in Kings Cross in 1975 for William Corlett and now the Sydney Morning Herald entry for 11 Dec 1975 where he died intestate and an election to Administrator was filed.
Now you guys have found me the cremation details and explained what By Accord means.
I just need to tie the death with the earlier date to see if it was the same William Corlett.
Can anyone give me an idea of the easiest way to do this, I don't need a full death certificate, just the details, should I use a transcriber.
Again many thanks to all of you who have helped.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Information on the death is only as good as the informants knowledge. Hopefully there will be enough to confirm or eliminate this William from your search.
The cremation details show his age as 75 which also looks very promising.
The NSW BDM certificate is a legal document and it is much more expensive. A transcription is far cheaper, much faster and provides all the information from the death certificate. Since it is a transcription it can't be used for legal purposes but is ideal for family history.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh.html
All the transcription agents listed are very good.
I have had very smooth, speedy transactions with Marilyn Rowan http://nswtranscriptions.com.au

Offline petercorlett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Well I have now received the transcription of the death record and everything but Name , age , address , date of death and informant are marked as Unknown. So i seem to have hit the 'brick wall' with this.
Can anyone tell me what Tusculum Street in Kings Cross Sydney was like in the 1970's? it would give me an idea of his circumstances when he died, I suspect judging by all the other info i have that it wouldn't be great. The number in the street was 26/12 , would that be house and flat?

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter, Pity little detail was available on the DC, it is however quite common on deaths such as his.

Sometimes all that authorities have to go on is what is found as personal effects in the deceased abode. Advertising is done, but if no one is looking then that's it.

Tusculum Street is actually in Potts Point an adjoining suburb to Kings Cross, I drove up it only a few weeks back while in Sydney. I worked all over that area in the 1970's and it was a much busier place then. The street has undergone some redevelopment in the past 40 years from what was nearly all blocks of flats, common brownstone type. Not completely seedy, but was the haunt of some of the more colorful types of "The Cross". It was handy, as it was a short walk up the hill to the well lit cross. I just had a look on Google maps for 26 and it doesn't seem to be there so could have been redeveloped. The street is a dead end "Cul de Sac"  and used to be on two levels which has nearly disappeared into just a dividing streets-cape ???

I knew a few people who lived in that type of flat in those streets in the 1970's which are pre WW2 and lack modern convenience. They were mostly 4-5 floors and built on the street edge comfortable but not flash. Unfortunately because of the types that lived there during the late 60's - 1970's there were a few murders took place. Much quieter now.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 December 14 02:34 GMT (UK) »
What was the cause of death?
Who was the informant?
Was there any type of religious service?
Hopefully they may provide some clues.
Would the administration file or the crematorium records provide anything further?

Neil, with 26/12 Tusculum Street, wouldn't that be Flat 26/12 Tusculum Street?
This is a photo of 12 Tusculum Street Potts Point
http://photos.homehound.com.au/LAS/468/646729/2834391_04_x.jpg
http://i1.au.reastatic.net/456x342/e24d24ead9164c3c8e2734966af4096f0fcdfaa6f1183b7dae4f71529726e95b/main.jpg