Author Topic: David Walker Moody, New York  (Read 9784 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Walker Moody, New York
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 13 November 14 11:24 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to find the occupants of 2 Bedford Street in the 1870 census (which doesn't list addresses).

I checked for entries in the 1869 NYC directory and found a Henry Reuss, bootmaker, with that as his home address.

There's a likely candidate in Second District, Ninth Ward and a bit further down the page is the household of John Moody aged 50, from Ireland - a relative perhaps?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11832-102721-74
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 13 November 14 12:57 GMT (UK) »
David W Moody, Lithographer, 12 Ridge, in an 1846 Directory http://tinyurl.com/kk25bgg
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 14 November 14 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun,
You have been working overtime. Thank you. The ad in the paper is, as you say, rather interesting!

Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 23 March 15 11:22 GMT (UK) »
I have just received the death certificate or rather the results of an inquest into David Walker's death. No mention of the name MOODY. I am still not convinced I have the right man! I thought it was perhaps a transcribing error in the indexes but the death has been registered under the name David Walker.

The details on the certification tally with the death notices in the newspapers - aged 49, address 2, Bedford Street, Date of death 26th July 1870. David Walker or David Walker Moody died of sunstroke! His occupation was a lithographer. His parents were both English (I wanted to see Irish) and he had been resident in U.S. for 21 years. Burial was to G'wood. There was no mention of next of kin but at the bottom of the form the coroner had written " No of Family 3".

I don't quite know where to go from here. If it hadn't been for the name Walker i would just have said he was the wrong man but I am just not convinced. Would it be worth contacting Green Wood Cemetery to see if their burial records might have someone listed as next of kin?

Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 March 15 19:12 GMT (UK) »
It looks like they'll provide a list of internments in a lot - http://www.green-wood.com/burial_search/  It might be worth checking who was with Gertrude and the younger David.