Author Topic: TOOLEY family  (Read 18721 times)

Offline Jeal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TOOLEY family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Eric,
Sorry for delay in getting back to you. I had not previously researched the Hawley's as they are not directly related to "my" Tooleys but did have the details from 1901 census as James and Elizabeth are living at 141 Osler Street , Edgbaston Birmingham with their daughter and Alfred Tooley.

Alfred Tooley 35 Billiard marker born Whitacre, Warwickshire
Elizabeth 35 wife Fazeley, Staffordshire
Elizabeth M. 10 daughter Birmingham
James Hawley F in law 59 dairyman Wilnecote, Warwickshire
Elizabeth Hawley M in law 60 Wilnecote, Warwickshire

In 1911 James is in Tamworth Union Workhouse and I assume it is his death record at Tamworth in 1914. Elizabeth is still with the Tooleys.

I have now followed James back through the census . In 1891 and 1881 he is a coal miner and in 1861 a day labourer. His birthplace is consistently Wilnecote and Ancestry have a transcribed baptism record:
          Birthdate 26 Apr 1842
          Bap date  17 Jul 1842
           Parents    Adam and Mary Hawley
           At Wilnecote and Castle Liberty, Warwickshire

They can all be found on 1851 census

Adam Hawley 40 Besom maker Derbyshire, Matlock
Mary wife 43 
William son 18
George son 11.                      All apart from Adam born Wilnecote.
James son 9
Adam son 6
John son 2         

Hope that helps. You now have a new county to search in. So probably many months if not years of research ahead of you.
Best wishes, Moira               

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Moira

Thanks for the reply. I decided I should not be such a cheap skate and sign up for Ancestry.com.

I have looked at the census records for 1911 and think it's not my 'James Tooley'. The James Tooley I see on the census is a widow, (and, as we know Elizabeth Hawley is still alive), and he is 3 years older than he should be. What do you think?

Regards

Eric

Offline Jeal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 March 14 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I agree you should keep looking to see if you can find a better match for your James Hawley, especially as it is a name which could be easily mistranscribed . However I would not discount the Tamworth one completely as someone else would have given the information about him and they could have got it wrong. The age on the Tamworth death entry is correct I think.
Good luck searching on Ancestry.  Moira

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 March 14 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Moira

Hope you are OK.

Just found out the James Hawley Husband of Elizabeth (DOB 1840ish) appears not to be the father of her daughter Elizabeth DOB 1865. As a novice at this i should forgive myself, but DAMM!! The daughter was born in Fazeley, Staffordshire, 3 years before the marriage to James Hawley (which was 1868 in Wilmcote, Warwickshire). The mothers surname was Penneyston, I think that wasn't her maiden name, but her married name, as it appears she had a husband, George Penneyston who had a daugheter Elizabeth. This is a classic example of different spellings. On the marriage certificate (1862), he is Penneystone, on the birth certificate (1865), he is Penistone and on his death certficate, (1866), he is Peneston . Of course they might be 3 different men but I have my doubts. Anyway guess I have to fork out £9.25 for the marriage certficate. Happy days!

Take care

Eric

Offline Jeal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 March 14 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric
So it's not your James Hawley after all. I think the complications you have found is what makes this hobby so fascinating and why it can take years to follow a line back. Also why everything has  to be checked and rechecked.
Really it's fortunate you had just started to look at this family and not spent months researching the wrong father and you do still have a father' s name to research, even if it's one that can be spelt in a dozen different ways.
We seem to have moved away from Oxfordshire, although hopefully you will hear from the original poster with information about where the Tooleys came from.
Good luck with your continuing research
Moira

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 April 14 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Well back again asking for help.

I am now trying to find more information about the Tooleys and in particular the marriage of Henry Tooley (DOB around 1786), to Elizabeth. I am unsure where it would have been but I guess the Witney area. I cannot trace this on Ancestry.com/findmypast.com. I guess i can always pop down to Oxford to check their Parish records or purchase a cd-rom from OFHS for further help.

Regards

Eric

Offline howesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 April 14 12:23 BST (UK) »
http://www.tooleysboatyard.co.uk/history/

You might find this of interest !
Mold - Middleton Cheney, Northants.
Sewell - Woodford Halse/Middleton Cheney, Northants.
Anthony - Worcs/Shropshire
Howes - Thetford, Norfolk/Sheffield
Rix - Barking, Essex/Oxford
Callow - Deddington, Oxon
Baseley - Upper Boddington, Northants.
Tucker - Blackawton, Devon
Summerell - Bristol, Somerset/Gloucs.

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 April 14 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the post.

My Tooley's appear to be Farmers and labourers. That's not to say that 'my' Tooley famiy had nothing to do with the canals but it is a slight change to what would be expected, I will need to dig further..the truth is out there....it's a pity a very rich unknown relative isn't!   :D

Best wishes

Eric

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 April 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
I am now trying to find more information about the Tooleys and in particular the marriage of Henry Tooley (DOB around 1786), to Elizabeth. I am unsure where it would have been but I guess the Witney area.

Hi Eric,

Oxfordshire Family History Society's Marriage Index has two possibilities for Henry TOOLEY + Elizabeth, both in Eynsham which is near Witney.

6 Dec 1807 Elizabeth OVENALL      (note in Phillimore - 'Elizabeth OVENALL died the same night, buried Dec 9')
20 Jan 1812  Elizabeth HOPCROFT

Hope this helps,
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch