Author Topic: Children's Homes in Oxford in 1950s  (Read 12135 times)

Offline misscurious

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children's Homes in Oxford in 1950s
« on: Sunday 14 October 12 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am new to this and really would like some help please.  I am currently studying for a degree in Early Childhood Studies and one of my modules requires me to interview somebody who had a totally different childhood from myself.

To cut a long story short, I interviewed my dad about his childhood.  I always knew that he had a tough childhood as he was brought up in the 1950s and spent most of his childhood in children's homes, in particular Cotuit House in Headington, Oxford and Hernes House in Summertown Oxford.

Now the odd thing is that I can find nothing at all about Hernes House as a children's home.  I have spent most of this weekend googling different combinations and going through various archives.  Yesterday, I spent a few hours at the Oxfordshire Local History Department at St Lukes Church, Cowley and was still unable to find anything, neither was the very kind lady who helped me.  Initially, I only wanted general information like when did it open and close as a children's home, how many children etc etc, but this has really intrigued me now especially as there seems to be absolutely no information out there.

Also, I was trying to find information about Donnington Baths as my dad recalls Social Services taking him there twice a year to give him a good scrub, but I can't find any information for this either??

How do you think the best way for me to proceed would be now?

Many thanks in advance if anybody can help me.

Best wishes xx

Offline jamajo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My lovely gran
    • View Profile
Re: Children's Homes in Oxford in 1950s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 October 12 21:20 BST (UK) »

Hi and welcome to Rootschat :)

The only childrens home i knew about was Windmill House in Headington, this link below says a little bit about it but not sure its the same one as you mention..

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/headlines/4302168.__2_7m_care_project_replaces_Oxford_children___s_home/

Sue :)
Norris  ( Somerset, Oxfordshire )
Evans  ( Berkshire )
Goodenough ( Berkshire )
Lloyd  ( Berkshire, Canada)
Dance ( Berkshire, Portsea, USA, )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline misscurious

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to reply Sue.

Unfortunately this is not the one I am looking for.  I have found out that Lucy Faithfull was the Children's Officer for Oxford at the time so am currently trawling through the many entries that are coming up on google. 

I just think it is very strange that there is no mention of Hernes House - really can't understand it.

My dad can remember the surnames of some of the staff at the time, but not their christian names - don't think I'm even going to bother googling Mr White!!!

thanks again  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 October 12 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hernes House Children's Home mentioned in this article earlier this year- perhaps worth contacting Oxford Mail?
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/yourtown/oxford/9729651.Residents_welcome_decision_on_housing/

and there's this person looking for 1970s details-
http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/announcements/other/personal_messages/9951418.Hernes_House/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline misscurious

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 October 12 20:07 BST (UK) »
thanks for your reply - I think I may have to contact the local newspapers to see if they have any information.

Kind Regards x

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 07:00 BST (UK) »
You should try a call to the Oxfordshire County Council - Social Services, they are very helpful and whilst they may refer you to St Lukes they may also be able to help refer you somewhere else.

The other place is the library in the Westgate, they have loads of local info about Oxford, in partnership with St Lukes?

and try this web site or a request tot he lady who operates it - she is brilliant: http://www.headington.org.uk

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline misscurious

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel

Thanks for replying. I will try Oxford Social Services to see if they can tell me anything - good idea, thank you.

I initially started looking in Oxford library, but they informed me that most of their local history section has now been moved to St Lukes.  I spent several hours at St Lukes on Saturday to no avail  :'(

I am becoming fascinated with local history though - it is very addictive  :)

best wishes

Offline kazzyz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 July 13 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am new to this and really would like some help please.  I am currently studying for a degree in Early Childhood Studies and one of my modules requires me to interview somebody who had a totally different childhood from myself.

To cut a long story short, I interviewed my dad about his childhood.  I always knew that he had a tough childhood as he was brought up in the 1950s and spent most of his childhood in children's homes, in particular Cotuit House in Headington, Oxford and Hernes House in Summertown Oxford.

Now the odd thing is that I can find nothing at all about Hernes House as a children's home.  I have spent most of this weekend googling different combinations and going through various archives.  Yesterday, I spent a few hours at the Oxfordshire Local History Department at St Lukes Church, Cowley and was still unable to find anything, neither was the very kind lady who helped me.  Initially, I only wanted general information like when did it open and close as a children's home, how many children etc etc, but this has really intrigued me now especially as there seems to be absolutely no information out there.

Also, I was trying to find information about Donnington Baths as my dad recalls Social Services taking him there twice a year to give him a good scrub, but I can't find any information for this either??

How do you think the best way for me to proceed would be now?

Many thanks in advance if anybody can help me.

Best wishes xx
hi i was in hernes house in the 70s

Offline kazzyz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 July 13 20:41 BST (UK) »
hi, i was in hernes house in the 70s