Author Topic: 1831 census??? Is there one?  (Read 2806 times)

Offline VictoriaE1987

• RootsChat Extra
  • Edwards, Blondrage/Drage, Baker, Wellington
    • View Profile
1831 census??? Is there one?
« on: Saturday 12 April 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Can anyone answer this?

If so where can I view it?

I currently only use Genes Reunited for my searches (1841 - 1911)

Many Thanks
Vicky
Interested in

Edwards & Blondrage/Drage in the Kent area.

Baker in Newport, South Wales.

Wellington in Truro and Somerset

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1831 census??? Is there one?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 April 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 June 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
There were earlier census, from about 1800 I believe, but few survive as they were just head counts and not seen as anything else.  I was lucky enough to have part of a 1821 census sent to me of part of Shropshire where my family were, and having an unusual name "Elks" it provided me with more info.  Have you tried the Mormon Familysearch site?  I always go there for pre-cenus info, it can be hit and miss but well worth the effort.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 12:43 BST (UK) »
Though it was the intention for the census to comprise headcounts only, in some cases the census takers exceed their remit and recorded everything. No doubt you have found a link by now. One such, which raised my hopes greatly was Oborne Dorset where some of my name bearers and I think direct ancestors had lived in the 18th century. Unfortunately by 1801 they had all left.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)