Author Topic: Ann Stephens (Actress)  (Read 28713 times)

Offline Romantic Spirit

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Stephens (Actress)
« on: Sunday 30 October 11 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone inform me of the burial place or cause of death of the English child actress, Ann Stephens? She was born in London on May 21, 1931 and died on July 15, 1966 and was active, though never very famous, during the 1940s and 1950s. Her film debut was "In Which We Serve", made in 1942. I have tried to find out this information for my memorial of her at Find A Grave without success.

Offline juliew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Stephens (Actress)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 11 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

According to this site Ann is alive and well.

http://digiguide.tv/celebrity/Ann+Stephens/76619/

Offline Romantic Spirit

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 11 14:01 GMT (UK) »
My gratitude to JulieW for showing such immediate interest and help. Unfortunately, this site merely assumes she is still alive. In fact, she sadly died in 1966.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 11 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There doesn't appear to be any evidence given either way that she has died?

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/actors-actresses/104326-ann-stephens.html

There is no death registration for her for the date given in England (or any death registration for a birth circa 1931), but then of course she could have married and if died did so in another surname, if the death occurred in England that is.

If you are certain of her death then presumably you have also have some evidence?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline juliew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 11 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I couldn't find a death registration for her either.  She may have died abroad?  Another suggestion is  a funeral announcement in the newspaper.

Offline juliew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 October 11 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

When googling obituary Ann Stephens actress this site ORBITURI ES -free on line library comes up.
I tried having a look but didnt get very far perhaps you might have better luck.   :)

Offline Romantic Spirit

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 October 11 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much indeed for your kind interest to my questions. On-line death registrations are full of missing entries and are no guide. There are several sites which state she died on July 15, 1966 and this is one.
http://www.trueknowledge.com/q/when_was_ann_stephens_born

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 October 11 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There may be several sites on the web but there is a tendency to copy once one has put the information up, others just add it to their websites. Unfortunately there is absolutely no evidence given that the information is correct. Websites like BFI, IMDB and Wikipedia which require information verified have not followed suit and include no death date for her.

True that the GRO index has missing entries but this is largely in the earlier volumes - this is a death being quoted for 1966 when a missing entry would be more unlikely.

Perhaps you could ask the information from the True Knowledge website? How do they know?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romantic Spirit

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 October 11 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Your logic and assistance Valda is very sound. I shall contact the True Knowledge website as you suggested. It would be a joy for me to discover she was still alive! Thank you!

The problem is why state an EXACT date of death in the first place and the websites you mentioned such as Wikipedia are only fed information by the interested public. This child actress was not very well known and then only to earlier generations so it is most likely no-one has ever recorded her (possible) death at those websites.

It is also strange her career and any mention of her all predate 1966. Most actresses, even after marriage when they may choose to retire, make odd appearances.