Author Topic: Ross family  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ross family
« on: Tuesday 08 July 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find my great grandmother's parent names and dates. And siblings where they came from and where they went to, so on.

This is what I know, My great grandmother was 

Agnes Ross b. 1865 at Abredeen, Eastern Cape.   Parents lived in the Bathurst dics.
She married Ignatius William Charles van Wyk you lived in the Oudtshoorn dics. I do not know if they married in the Cape or in the Transvaal?

Agnes and Ignatius moved to Elsburg in the Transvaal and they had 5 children

Agnes's father's name might of been John Ross  and sons possible Alexander and George the oldest and John the younger son.
John Ross left his daughter and young son in the care of a Mev. du Toit (not family) while he and the older boys went to the Transvaal possible because of the gold rush.

Does anyone know anything about these people? or can help find more info? 
I was also wondering if they had a connection to the 1820 British settlers?
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ross family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
I found the following at the National Archives

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 57181                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          VAN WYK, IGNATIUS WILLIAM CHARLES.                                   
STARTING  19250000                                                             
ENDING    19250000                                                             

REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE AGNES VAN WYK (BORN ROSS).                           

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 10318/71                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          VAN WYK, ALEXANDER ROSS DANIEL.                                       
STARTING  19710000                                                             
ENDING    19710000                                                             
REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE EMMA CHRISTINA VAN WYK.

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 1907/56                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          VAN WYK, AGNES. BORN ROSS.                                           
STARTING  19560000                                                             
ENDING    19560000                                                             
REMARKS   PREDECEASED SPOUSE IGNATIUS WILLIAM CHARLES VAN WYK

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 20:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nookie, I did find that info on the Archive. Ordered the death notices which were not much help where Agnes'e parents were concerned all it had was deceased were the parents name are suppose to be. That's where I found that she was born in Aberdeen in the eastern Cape. I was told by relieves that she was born near or at Bathurst.
Her Husbands Will and death notice is not much help either where she is concerned. Very little info about her. And the same goes for her son Alexander Ross Daniel. 

What else can you get from the Archives besides death notices?
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 19:30 BST (UK) »
You can get the whole estate file from the archives.  This would include the will as well as the liquidation and distribution account. 

The will would give you an idea of who they were leaving their assets to, and the liquidation and distribution would give you the amounts paid out and to whom.  This could also include the signatures of receipt of the assets by the various heirs and possibly where they were living.

If there were female children it could also tell you who they married. 

Hope this helps.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 19:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nookie.
Another question, I was told to get her birth certificate from Home Affairs Office but I tried; they said they did not have any documents older than 1895 /6

So that means I have to look at church registries. I looked at family search .org but they had nothing.
Any suggestions were I can look now?

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 July 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
Bathurst is close to Port Alfred/Grahamstown whereas Aberdeen is miles away close to Graaff-Reinet.  Possibly you should look for the baptism of Agnes in Graaff-Reinet.

Have you found the marriage of Ignatius and Agnes?  Often the witnesses can give an indication of family members.  Do you know when and where Alexander was born/baptised?  Possibly any other children of the marriage were baptised in the same church.  This could also give you an idea of where they were living at the time.

Hope this helps
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 20:05 BST (UK) »
Alexander Ross Daniel van Wyk was born in Elsburg 24 March 1834 

Agnes Ross and ICW van Wyk were married in Cape Town no date as yet.

I have looked at the way children were named at that time. The names Alexander and Daniel do not appear in the van Wyk side so could they come from the Ross's side?  And who would he be named after? I am hopping if I can work this out it might give a clue to Agnes Ross's father.

Agnes Ross's oldest son was name after his grandfather van Wyk and Alexander is the second son.

So how does the naming work?

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 07:04 BST (UK) »
Generally the traditional naming pattern is as follows:

1st Son - Father’s father
2nd Son - Mother’s father
3rd Son - Father
4th Son - Father’s eldest brother
5th Son - Mother’s eldest brother

1st Daughter - Mother’s mother
2nd Daughter - Father’s mother
3rd Daughter - Mother
4th Daughter - Mother’s eldest sister
5th Daughter - Father’s eldest sister

Hope this helps

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 08:09 BST (UK) »
Yes it does, thanks Nookie