Author Topic: My McIntosh Family and my yDNA.  (Read 3146 times)

Offline McInOvingham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My McIntosh Family and my yDNA.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for the input.  I'll consider upgrading to a 67 marker test.  Perhaps I should ask to join the Hayes Project Group as they seem to have many more participants than the McIntosh Group.  One of the Hayes I was matched with had taken the 67 marker test.  How significant is it that I match so closely with a Hayes? Only a slight difference on one marker seems a good match to me!
Regards  Gordon
Curry,Clement,McIntosh,Edwards,Blair,Hunter, Roycroft(NZ)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 18:55 GMT (UK) »

A 36/37match for two people who share a common surname would be very significant as the FAQs
section of FTDNA states i.e.

1 genetic distance,    Tightly Related,   A 36/37 match between two men who share a common surname (or variant) indicates a close genealogical match. Very few people achieve this close level of a match, and it is within the range of most well-established surname lineages in Western Europe.
It's most likely that they matched 24/25 or 25/25 on a previous Y-DNA test, and the mismatch will be found within DYS576, DYS570, or CDY.

Now I know you have a difference of surnames with Hayes and McIntosh. I agree that it would be a good idea to join the Hayes group seeing the close matches you are getting out there. It is not without the bounds of possibility that there is an illegitimate Hayes line into your McIntosh line some way back and this is why you are getting the close matches. To this end the 67 upgrade may be well worth it to see if the close match continues. What you could also do is contact the Hayes matches and ask if they have done a family finder test, if they have then you could do one too and see if there is a cross over in your results.

Another thing I thought is if you can identify a proven McIntosh male line descendant of William McIntosh, one of his brothers , uncles etc is try and persuade them to test to see if their results match yours – as they should if you are a true line descendant of William McIntosh
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 March 14 07:54 GMT (UK) »
How significant is it that I match so closely with a Hayes? Only a slight difference on one marker seems a good match to me!

You need to take a 67 or 111 or 300 marker FGS test to compare across surnames. Period.

Offline McInOvingham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 March 14 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
As you can gather I am a novice regarding DNA, so thanks for your assistance.  Note I live in Ovingham Nothumberland.
Thanks again.
Regards  Gordon

Offline McInOvingham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 March 14 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Re William's siblings and parents.  For many years I had thought that William's parents were James McIntosh and Isabella Nisbet.  They married in Dunbar in 1794, whilst James was in the East Lothian Cavalry.  They had children James (b. 1807), David (b. 1809), William (b. 1812) and Jean Brown McIntosh (b. 1816), all born in Edinburgh.  Whilst I was unable to trace the parents, and  brothers James and David, I was able to trace Jean Brown, as she married Robert Roycroft, a Waterloo Veteran, and the Family sailed to New Zealand in 1847 to start the Roycroft Dynasty there.  I am in touch with many of them and James McIntosh is No.1 in their Family Tree!
The proof that William was James' son is rather nebulous, so I was advised by a paid researcher to discount it.  Hence I know of none of William's earlier relatives.  I suppose this 'brick wall' led me to have my DNA tested.  When the Hayes match turned up and this lead me to be 'suspicious' of the Jessie's children born prior to her marriage to William.
Regards & Thanks,  Gordon McIntosh