Author Topic: MacDonald Fall River Massachusetts  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacDonald Fall River Massachusetts
« on: Friday 11 April 14 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am seeking any info on John Patrick MacDonald (also recorded as McDonald), b. Fall River Mass. 4 May 1877; d. 7 Feb 1926. Weymouth Mass. Married Alice Thayer in Weymouth, 1897. I can't seem to definitively ascertain who his parents were, place of origin, etc.  I thought I had Anna (O'Brien) as his mother, who died in 1912, Fall River, per record of death discovered on ancestry (Patrick MacDonald and Anna O'Brien are listed as parents on record of marriage). However, I found corresponding obituary at Fall River Public Library which named a son, John still living in Fall River in 1912, when my John had moved to Weymouth by 1897. Basically, I have the feeling their were at least 2 Patrick & Anna MacDonalds in Fall River at that time.
 Grateful for any help.
Thanks!
Steve
Baker: Dorset, England > Newfoundland > Massachusetts
Peddle: England > Newfoundland
White: Dorset, England > Newfoundland
Magner: Co. Cork, Ireland > Boston
Otto: Eisfeld, Thuringia, Germany > Boston
McDonald: Co. Carlow, Ireland > Fall River, Massachusetts
Thayer: Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England > Braintree, Massachusetts
Marks: Portugal > Massachusetts
Gilmore: Co. Westmeath, Ireland > Massachusetts
Farnum, Phillips: England > Barbados

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MacDonald Fall River Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 April 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
There were definitely multiple Patrick McDonalds in Fall River around that time (city directories show 3 or 4 of them), but the only one I'm seeing on the 1880 census with wife Anna & son John is this one - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MH6S-83C?cc=1417683  There is a Catherine O'Brien with them who is listed as a servant, but she was living with them in 1870 and working in a cotton mill.  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MDS2-HW1?cc=1438024  Maybe she's a relative of Anna's?

If you know that the marriage certificate to Alice is definitely your guy, then I'd be more inclined to believe that than an obituary.  The person giving the information may have been confused or didn't know where John lived, or the newspaper may have made a mistake.  Were any other siblings of John mentioned in the obituary?

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 April 14 13:35 BST (UK) »
This is for eliminating the Death (and obituary?) you found.  The following appears to show that  the Ann McDONALD ms O BRIEN who died 1912 (per the death cert), is not the mother of your John b 1877.  That Ann's son John was born abt 1856  and she was already in her mid 40's in 1870. The address 642 Maple Street ties the following:

Found: Bernard J McDONALD b abt 1855/56 MA,
1900: 786, Locust Street, Fall River a widower, with his elderly, widowed mother Ann age 70 (imm  1850, 12 children born, 7 still living) &  siblings, one of which is Patrick E, McDONALD age 41, single and born Jan 1858, 
1910: Bernard is still with his widowed mother, and some siblings (but not his brother Patrick).  Both Census state his father b Ireland.   He married in Fall River in 1887 at age 32 to Annie BARRY age 20. The marriage recorded he was a Clerk, b Fall River, parents Patrick & Ann.  She was a Domestic, b Ireland, parents Patrick D. & Eliza. It was the first marriage for the both of them.  The 1910 Census says Bernard's mother Ann arrived in US 1845 and their address is: 642 Maple Street.

In 1870, Bernard is 15 and in Fall River with his family:
Patrick McDONALD 45, Wool Sorter, b Ireland
Ann McDONALD  45, Keeping House, b Ireland
Thomas McDONALD  17, Works in Wool Mill
Bernard McDONALD  15, Attending School
John McDONALD 14, Attending School (b abt 1856)
Patrick McDONALD 12, Attending School (b abt 1858)
Mary A McDONALD  11, Attending School
Hugh McDONALD  8, Attending School
Catherine McDONALD  7, Attending School
All children b MA.

1910 DEATH: Patrick E McDONALD Single age 52 (born abt 1858)
Died 5 April 1910
Residence: 642 Maple Street, Fall River
Occ: Barber
Parents: Patrick McDONALD & Ann O'BRIEN
Informant: Mother.

1912 DEATH: Ann McDONALD, age 81, b Jan 1831 Ireland
Died 12 Apr 1912
Maiden Name Ann O'BRIEN
Husband: Patrick McDONALD
Residence: 642 Maple Street, Fall River
Occ: Retired
Father: Patrick O' BRIEN and Mother: Catherine (ms) SHERIDAN
Informant: Mary A McDONALD

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 April 14 18:28 BST (UK) »
If the 1880 census I found is the right one, this may be the birth & death of his sister Mary -

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FXZP-KGM

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NW5X-PDM

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 April 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt replies. I revisited the Fall River Public Library today to have another look at the obituary.After reading the obituary dated 12 April, 1912, I am convinced that the Anne McDonald on the record of death I have and the Anne Mc Donald in the obituary are one and the same. The address is the same, husband's name, etc.
I am also sure that she was not the mother of my g grandfather. The obituary lists her children as Thomas F., Bernard J., John M.,  Hugh B., Mary A. and Catherine. It further states that her son John is a janitor at the Borden School. As I Said earlier, my John is living in Weymouth at that time. In fact his son, my grandfather was born in Weymouth in 1912.
 Incidentally, I have never been able to find a birth record for my John Patrick in Fall River. However, I have a McDonald family in Fall River on the 1880 Census which lists the following: .
Patrick 35
Anna 35
Sarah A. 10
Mary A. 9
John 5
Catherine O'Brien.
I have always believed the Catherine O'Brien listed in the census to be the mother of Ann O'Brien McDonald. The record of death on Ann lists "Catherine (Sheridan) O'Brien as the mother!
I also have an 1870 census with the same family, with Catherine, without John and Mary! If it weren't for the obituary, I would say this was his family, but that "John M. in the obituary.....
Oh well, I'll keep searching. Please let me know if you come up with anything, and thank you both very much.
Steve

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 April 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
If it makes you feel any better, my grandmother is listed in her brother's obituary from 2008 as living in her hometown, when she really had passed away nearly 20 years earlier. 

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 03:36 BST (UK) »
Update:  I have made good progress seeking this line's story.  A couple of trips to the Fall River Library yielded obits for Patrick, Anna, Sarah , and Mary.  Basically, my great grandfather's entire family had died by the time he was 15. This would explain his relocating to Weymouth.
I was very fortunate due to the fact that every obit in the Fall River Daily Evening News gave the address of the deceased. Healey St is where this family was listed as residing in the 1880 census, and the residence of those deceased.
I am quite certain that Mary and Sarah were the daughters of Patrick and Anna. Another son, Thomas also died (age 1 yr), in 1874.  Incidentally, Sarah, Mary, and Thomas are the names of 3 of my grandfather's siblings!
I am still seeking info on Patrick & Anna's marriage.  Record of death for Patrick gives parents as Thomas and Sarah.  Record of Death for Anna gives John and Catharine as parents. I believe they were most likely married in 1868-9, due to the fact that their first, Sarah, was born in '70.  Question is, where were they married?  Maybe married in Ireland shortly before coming to the States. It would be great if I could determine origin in Ireland.  Any info gladly accepted.  Much thanks and appreciation for all who helped!