Author Topic: Worthingtons of Carlow  (Read 4839 times)

Offline worthyone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Worthingtons of Carlow
« on: Sunday 25 September 11 00:36 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate my 3× great grandfather John Worthington.  He was a shoemaker (perhaps in Bagenalstown.)  He was born about 1764 and died about 1832.

According to some records, he married Mary Delaney and had at least four sons John, Francis, Michael and Edward and a daughter Catherine.

I believe that Mary may have been Roman Catholic while John was Church of Ireland.

At the RCB Library in Dublin, I have found baptismal records for son John's children -- John in 1791, Edward 1794, and Catherine 1795 -- which show his living in Dunleckney.  Also, I found there baptisms for children of son Edward -- Catherine 1793, Fanny 1795, Bridget 1797 and Annie 1799 -- which say he lived in Leighlinbridge.  But I can find nothing more than John's being a shoemaker.

Might anyone have more to share regarding John and Mary and their families?

Bill

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Worthingtons of Carlow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
Bagenalstown is in the civil / CofI parish of Dunleckney - but the records for the parish only go back to 1791, so not early enough to show John's baptism if he was born in the parish. Many CofI records for Co. Carlow, including Dunleckney are available to view on www.irishgenealogy.ie , and these show a number of Worthington entries back to the early 1700s - see : Worthington, Co. Carlow

The dates involved are a bit early for most directories, but I did find one entry that might be of interest in Pigot's 1824 :

Thos. Worthington, publican - Burrin-st, Carlow town

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline worthyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 11 16:06 BST (UK) »
Shane, many thanks for your reply.

The baptismal records that I have came from the irishgnealogy.ie web sight.  In July, I was in Dublin at the RCB Library and had a chance to see and read the actual records.  (I could see and touch, but not make copies.)

Until now, I hadn't heard of Pigot's 1824 Directory.  You had sharp eyes to find Thomas Worthington.  I'll have to dig into it.

Thanks for your help.  The chase goes on....

Bill

Offline bigdogmom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
According to my 2ggrandfather's (Francis Murray b. 1841 in Carlow)obituary, his mother was Jane Worthingham.  Knowing how some names get changed through history, it could have been Worthington.  Is there a Jane in your Worthington family that would fit in that time period, married to Hugh Murray b. 1811 Ballintemple?

Offline worthyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 June 12 20:24 BST (UK) »
I have found a Jane Worthington who was born 04 Mar 1813 in Dunleckney and daughter of Francis and Elizabeth Worthington.  I suspect that he may be my 2nd great grand uncle and John's brother.

I found Jane's baptism is recorded in the "Registry for the Union of Dunleckney - 1802" which is kept at the RCB Library in Dublin.  Do you have any information to support this?  Do you think she might be your Jane too?

Bill

Offline worthyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 February 13 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Here's a picture of Jane's baptismal record.  I saw the original at the RCB library in Dublin.  Does this coincide with your information?

Might you have any information of Her father Francis?  Even better would you have any information on his parents.  Since John was Francis' brother, this would help in establishing them firmly in co. Carlow.

Bill