Author Topic: grisold family cropredy  (Read 4801 times)

Offline fionakeeble

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
grisold family cropredy
« on: Tuesday 11 February 14 22:03 GMT (UK) »
im descended from Elizabeth grisold born in Oxfordshire around 1826, her father was joseph grisold b 1794, married Hannah gardiner, joseph's dad was Richard grisold b1750.. any help would be great. Fiona barker was keeble

Offline Matriach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: grisold family cropredy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 14 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
Try contacting the Oxfordshire Family History Society if you are unable to get to the Record Office at Cowley.  I've seen the name written as Griswold - have you tried other spellings?

Good luck with your research, Matriach
McClinton, McClintock - Ireland, Wigtownshire, Ayrshire
McCaskie - Ireland, Wigtownshire
McGill - Ayrshire
McDonald, McArthur, McKenzie - Nairnshire
Dridge/Jones - Hants/Sussex borders
Gostelow - everywhere
Lawrence/O'Brien/Moody - POrtsmouth

Offline simonp17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: grisold family cropredy
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 April 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
    Looking at the Oxfordshire Family History Society records, I have found several generations of your GRISOLD family in Cropredy and Mollington.

Elizabeth GRISOLD, the daughter of Joseph, a farmer, and Hannah, was baptised in Mollington on 13 December 1821. Joseph and Hannah had two other children baptised in Cropredy, John in 1825 and Thomas in 1828.

Joseph GRISOLD from Mollington married Hannah GARDNER at Fenny Compton (in Warwickshire) on 10 December 1818.

Joseph GRISOLD, the son of Richard and Fanny, was baptised in Mollington on 30 March 1794.

It seems probable to me that Joseph's parents were the Richard GRISWOLD and Frances KING who married at Cropredy on 13 June 1777 and that they were the parents of all of the following baptisms:

Richard GRISWOLD, son of Richard and Frances baptised in Cropredy in 1778
    Thomas GRISWOLD, son of Richard and Frances baptised in Cropredy in 1779
    Mary GRISWOLD, daughter of Richard and Frances baptised in Cropredy in 1781
    Anne GRISOLD, daughter of Richard and Fanny baptised in Mollington in 1786
    John GRISOLD, son of Richard and Fanny baptised in Mollington in 1788
    William GRISOLD, son of Richard and Frances baptised in Mollington in 1791
    Joseph GRISOLD, son of Richard and Fanny baptised in Mollington in 1794
    Gorge GRISOLD, son of Richard and Fanney baptised in Mollington in 1797

Richard GRISOLD from Mollington was buried in Cropredy aged 60 on 22 July 1813. Frances GRISOLD from Mollington was buried in Cropredy aged 70 on 26 July 1824.

Looking for a baptism for Richard GRISOLD around 1753, we find one for Richard GRIZWOLD, the son of Richard and Mary at Cropredy on 2 November 1753. The same couple had John baptised in 1752 and Elizabeth in 1755.

Richard GRIZWOLD from Cropredy married Mary HASLEWOOD also from Cropredy at Mollington on 26 October 1751.

Going back another generation, the Richard who married in 1751 was probably the Richard GRISOLD, son of Richard and Elizabeth, who was baptised at Cropredy on 29 October 1714.

His parents were presumably Richard GRISOLD from Cropredy and Elizabeth CHEKELEY from Great Bourton who married at Claydon on 5 October 1706. The couple had the following children baptised in Cropredy: Elizabeth in 1706 (a couple of months after the wedding); Anne in 1708; Mary in 1709; Richard and William together in 1711 (this Richard was buried in 1712); Richard in 1714; Thomas in 1716; Emmie in 1718; and Sarah in 1720.

I cannot see any GRISOLD records in the area before 1706.

I trust all this is helpful.