Author Topic: Charles Mc Aulay/Bridget Brice  (Read 7021 times)

Offline Cheskauk2013

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Mc Aulay/Bridget Brice
« on: Saturday 05 April 14 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have been trying to search for parents listed on a marriage cert for Mary Mc Aulay - who married Cornelius Kilday in 1859, the location is Campsie,Stirling. I am unsure if this is where her parents are from. I have tried to search for them in the area but haven't found anything. I have also tried to look in Ireland,there are a couple with similar names however I feel that they are not matching up due to there ages on a census in 1901 and location (I could be wrong). The marriage cert only lists the names of Mary's parents, there is no information on the marriage cert for Age,rank or profession and residence.

I have found 3 Charles Mc Aulay on Scotlands people 1881 census because i do not have a D.O.B for him or Bridget.   ???

Using the name Charles Mc Aulay/I have also tried changing the spelling of his surname Mc/Mac Auley.

I would very much appreciate any help or advice.

Many thanks,

Francesca  :)

Offline Cheskauk2013

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Mc Aulay/Bridget Brice
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 April 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
The location.

:)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 April 14 20:58 BST (UK) »
Have you found them on the 1861 census to try to confirm birth places? Did Mary's parents show as alive or deceased at the time of the marriage? What was father's occupation?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 April 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
St. Paul's Catholic Church, Lennoxtown - aka St. Machan's, see:

http://www.saintpaulsmilton.org.uk/saintpauls/histories_st_machans.htm

and

http://www.welcometolennoxtown.co.uk/churches.htm#St. Machan's Church

Anne  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 April 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
Francesca, adding link to this post in particular as it seems to indicate that Mary may have been from Ireland?

Hello,

I am still investigating all this information but I came across something by accident and wondered if it could be Mary on a website,

Below is the part I believe may be about Mary,

Return to an order of the Honourable The House of Commons, dated  24 May 1870,-for.
Return of all poor persons removed from Scotland to Ireland from the 1st.Jan.1867 to the 31st. Dec. 1869.

CountyParishNameAdult Male   Adult FemaleChildren under 16   From what port sent   What place sent to

Kirkintilloch   Widow Cornelius Kilday,   1       6   Greenock   Donegal[/left][/pre][/center]

Also (sorry for the long post) but I have the marriage cert of Cornelius Kilday and Mary Mc Aulay,1859,Campsie,Stirling however their ages,rank or profession,residence are unlisted so I wonder if there may be a reason for this? Cornelius does not list his parents but Mary does.

Any help much appreciated,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 April 14 13:51 BST (UK) »
Cornelius Kilday died at the age of 52 in Kirkintilloch in 1866? Did this help you with any further info on his side of the family? This entry shows on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Search/results.asp

The death date would fit with possibly Mary, his widow, being sent back to Ireland after his death if she was claiming poor relief.

I can only see two children for them born in Scotland post their marriage in 1859: Biddy b. 1863 (about whom the other post is about in the main) and Mary b. 1866. Both entries in Kirkintilloch.

I can see possibly Cornelius by himself in 1861:

Cornelius Kilday, 40, agr. lab. b. Ireland boarding at the Tavin household in Campsie, Stirlingshire.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 April 14 14:00 BST (UK) »
Because the family were Roman Catholic, when you say you have the 1859 marriage details for Cornelious and Mary, is this from the Catholic marriage register (would explain why there was little details on this) or from the statutory register (although the above image looks to be from the statutory register). Daughter Mary's birth and baptism I think show on the Catholic register dabase on Scotlands People.

Added: just checked on the RC marriage database on Scotlands People and couldn't see a mention of the marriage there.

Do you have any estimate on what could be Mary McAulay's age. You said her age didn't show on her marriage entry to Cornelius which is unusual.

It will be hard to find family details with the Irish and Roman Catholic denomination as you have found  :-\ Can't really see any trace of Mary with parents in Scotland for the years before her marriage so far.

Monica

Offline Cheskauk2013

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 April 14 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate your time.  :)

Hello Monica,

Thank you for the post. I will take a look at the 1861 census (I never thought about that, ???)

On the marriage cert there is not any other information beside the parents names for Mary.

A mistake on my part,thank you for pointing this out. I never thought to link the topics. It was mentioned that Mc Aulay is an Irish surname so with this in mind I came across the post as I wasn't having much luck finding her in Scotland.

This is a good point Monica. :)

The marriage is listed as a statutory marriage. This is something I never knew. I have managed to find a lot of information about Biddy and her family who moved Kirkintilloch to Govan. However,I haven't found anything to say that she was with her her parents. I have being trying to find something about Mary's age but i don't really have anything to get a better idea.

I also already have the death cert for her husband Cornelius and that only says he was married to Mary Kilday.

I have attached the Marriage cert.

Offline Cheskauk2013

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 April 14 20:17 BST (UK) »

Hello Anne,

This is very interesting, thank you very much for the web links.