Author Topic: Annie O'Malley from Mayo  (Read 60432 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie O'Malley from Mayo
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 23:21 BST (UK) »
You have done very well there and this is bringing it all together - congratulations.  :)
I just have to say though that I did mention James with Uncle Durkin earlier and then this was strengthened when you posted the baptisms. ;)

It looks as though Bridget and remaining family left after 1911 to join her brother and family in Liverpool.

It seems strange that there was such a big gap between her death and the administration of her estate.  Also, Winwick, was a well known mental asylum  - I'm not sure if it was any other kind of hospital but it may be that Bridget was a patient there.
Her death certificate might help:
 Mar 1915   Warrington    8c   359
 Bridget O' Malley  51 yrs

heywood   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 13 October 11 00:19 BST (UK) »
I thought it was odd that it took 10 years as well.  I found it quite by accident hunting around for other O'Malleys in Liverpool. I was hunting 78 Soho St.

I believe the address is associated with the butcher shop. I found an old liverpool picture on line referring to the piggeries on Soho Street and also an old 1871 Commercial Directory of Liverpool p. 169 under category Butchers  Walker E. and T. 78 Soho St E.    But it seems people lived on the premises somewhere as well.

I knew Annie was in Liverpool that is where she met my grandfather.  I knew Mary & Catherine came to the U.S. and lived with Annie & Joseph Peter for a while.  I knew Tom was running Uncle Durkin's butcher shop during WWII when my father met him. 

This has identified Patrick, the butcher as inheriting Bridget's little estate.. James was in Liverpool with Uncle Durkin.. but where is little Bridget b. 1895? I never heard of another sister..like there was one but we don't know her name kind of thing . I did hear of steps but was told they all died young.   Most of the databases like mayo ancestors don't go beyond 1900 if you are just guessing dates to see if she passed away young.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 13 October 11 01:58 BST (UK) »
Bridget isn't on 1901 census with the family.

There are a lot of Bridget Malley births 1895 and there is one death in the indexes for a Bridget - age 0 in 1896 ... a possibility?

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 14 October 11 01:39 BST (UK) »
Possible.  But if The Michael Maley marriage to Bridget the widow ( I did ask mayoancestors if that is a transcription error showing her father Martin as Maley instead of Durcan...don't know if they wil respond to me or check)   is the right family, then 10 years later Michael has already passed away.  On the 1911 census Honor (11)  has younger sisters Margaret (9) and Ellen (7) also there. My grandmother, Anne (25) has returned I suppose to help her mother.

Bridget didn't answer any of the questions regarding children born or children still alive on the 1911 Census unfortunately.  So I cannot verify other children which may have died between census 1901 & 1911.

My Aunt, Anne's daughter, told me this in an email prior to my finding the info:

"Dear Annie, My mother's father died, and her mother married again. Both men were O'Malley's, but not related to one another. My mother was the oldest of 15 siblings and the second O‘Malley had TBC all the children of the second Marriage did too. And my mother nursed them till they died. She especially loved a little one named Ellie who eventually died also"

Prossibly this Ellen was the Ellie my aunt referred to.  Oh and I am named after my grandmother in case that is confusing.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 14 October 11 09:13 BST (UK) »
I think the scenario you have is right. There may be baptisms/deaths in church records perhaps 1901-1911.
As to the name, the Irish form is Maille, so you do see Malia/Melia, or hear the pronunciation of the name with a longer 'a' sound. Also, I don't think spellings were consistent.

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 14 October 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
Yes.  I know the spellings for O'Malley and Durcan are all over the place. Same person different spelling on almost every document. 

But it's funny I could find a civil and church record for the marriage of Michael and Bridget.  I could not find a church record for the marriage of William & Bridget only civil record.  I also could not find baptism reference for any of the children only birth. 

A Mayo website I was on said send an email to Father Mattie Long on (*) for church records in the Kilgeever Parish. So I did. But maybe they get a million emails. We'll see if anyone responds.

Mayoancestors responded and said they forwarded my request to review the Michael and Biridget marriage record for errors to the South Mayo Centre.

(*) email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 14 October 11 17:06 BST (UK) »
It may be that the church records are only in part because they are very poor or missing.

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 14 October 11 18:34 BST (UK) »
Well nothing ventured nothing gained I guess.  If I don't get any response about the church records, I'll look elsewhere:)

I did request Bridget's Death Cert from the GRO to see what it can tell me.  Response date is Nov 7 and then mail time so it will be awhile.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 14 October 11 19:13 BST (UK) »
Looking at Family Search records
Kilgeever it does look as though they would not be complete.
However, as you say, there is always hope.
I know the parish my family are recorded in has great big gaps and some that are illegible with all the variations in spellings too. :)