Author Topic: McDonough, Oliver (Swinford/Kilconduff area), O'Malley (Claremorris/Islandeady)  (Read 3689 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I have recently taken a Family Finder DNA test which appears to confirm that my Great-grandfather James McDonough who left Mayo in 1851, having very recently married a Margaret Oliver in Kilconduff, was related to other McDonoughs who also went to Bilston, in the English Black Country, at around that time.

I am now very interested to know if they were related to others who made the same journey.

I also have O'Malleys (William & Mary and their sons John & Martin, at least) who left the Claremorris/Crossboyne and Islandeady area of Mayo in the 1840s and 1850s to move to Dublin to become policemen, and from there, some to England and perhaps on to other countries too.

If anyone has any of these families in their history, and has taken a similar test, I would be interested to know if we have any links, as documentation for Mayo in the period 1825-1845 seems to be sadly lacking.

I have over 20 relatively close matches (3rd-4th cousin) and a couple of hundred possible more distant matches from this test but cannot find the (particularly baptism) documentation to map out these parts of my family tree.

McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline Rutherfordian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McDonough, Oliver (Swinford/Kilconduff area), O'Malley (Claremorris/Islandeady)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 August 14 18:08 BST (UK) »
I am researching my Irish Comer family in Bilston.  I know that Mary McDonough married Luke Comer (Kerrigan).  They emigrated to Plains, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania.

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McDonough, Oliver (Swinford/Kilconduff area), O'Malley (Claremorris/Islandeady)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 August 14 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Rutherfordian,

Do you know the father's name of the Mary McDonough who married Luke? Some of our McDonoughs also emigrated to Plains so maybe they were from the same family?
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)

Offline Rutherfordian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 August 14 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This is the information that you want.  The name should be McDonough.  Do you have any information about Comers?

Anne

Entry No 43
Marriage at the Catholic Chapel, Oxford Street, Bilston in the District of Wolverhampton, Staffs.

7th October 1855

between

Luke Comer, 21 yrs, bachelor, coal miner, Oxford Street, Bilston, father- Patrick Comer (deceased) an agricultural labourer; and

Mary McDonnell, 20 yrs, spinster, Oxford Street, Bilston, father- John McDonnell, an agricultural labourer.

Signed by Luke Comer, Mark by Mary McDonnell.

Witnessed by Patrick Kelly and Catherine Walsh.

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 August 14 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I do have further info, and at least one cert for you, so will send you a PM with my email.

Unfortunately, I think that your Mary's parents were John and Bridget as Luke was the informant on Bridget's death certificate.

This means that Mary was not a sibling of my great-grandfather James, but may have been a cousin!

I have lots of information and possibly also images of the Holy Trinity register entries for the baptisms of some of Luke and Mary's children, but will be busy today so it might be later in the day or even later in the week before I can find and send them all.

Sheila

Offline Rutherfordian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 August 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila,

I am not sure of my Comers relationship to Luke, although I have researched this family for many years.  On the 1870 Census in Plains, Luke Comer and his two daughters, who were born in Bilston are living with Mark Comer.  I have been trying to find out if Mark is the brother of my gt. gt. grandfather Patrick Comer, who remained in Bilston, then moved to Lancashire.  Luke's wife Mary McDonough must have died early, because he married Honor Duffy.  A lot of families from Bilston went to Plains including Duddys, Duffys and Comers.

I look forward to receiving the information when you find it.

Kind regards,
Anne

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,

I just came across this thread again and was not sure how far we managed to pursue this (due to health issues, I sometimes have to drop the research).

One thing to note is that the names are different on every record.

You mention two daughters.

However, I have found, Bridget, baptised 5/1/1851, daughter of Luke Kerige and Bridget Kerige (with a note that the family name, might be Kerrigan).

then, Catherine, baptised 29/5/1853, daughter of Mark Kerrigan and Mary Walsh.

then, Mary, baptised 4/6/1855, daughter of Mark Kerigan and Mary Walsh.

then, Mark, baptised 7/9/1856, son of Mark Comer and Mary Welsh.

then Patrick, baptised 15/3/1857, son of Hugo Comer and Maria McDonnough.

then Bridget, baptised 23/1/1859, daughter of Luke Comer and Mary McDonough.

This seems likely to be more than one family, due to the proximity of some of the baptisms, but you would need to look at the complete records to check the dates of birth.

Do you have names for the daughters that you are sure belong to this family?