Author Topic: Warren-Wetnall-Buckley 1700's  (Read 13074 times)

Offline abbey road

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Warren-Wetnall-Buckley 1700's
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 September 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
better late than never !!!!!!
But i do tie in with the Partridges you mentioned on your post sunday 06 june 10
There are two local Partridge families that married each other c1817 i believe they could have been cousins.
I am doing the family history of both branches as well as the Partridges of Wishanger Glouscestershire of whom i believe they are descended from.
Where do you fit into the tree?
Regards,
Robert

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 17:10 BST (UK) »
Probably entirely irrelevant; but in case you're not aware, apart from "Warren Street" in Stockport a popular and prominent hostelry used to be the Warren Bulkeley pub (Corner of Warren Street and Bridge Street). Demolished and re-built as a Laura Ashley shop, the original facade was reconstructed on the side elevation. Unfortunately street view doesn't extend to you being able to see it on line.

Offline SearchinginShropshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 April 14 21:34 BST (UK) »
Searching for a Morris connection -Elizabeth Morris sister to Samuel Cheeke Morris.  Would this be the same person as your Elizabeth Morris?

Offline Alpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 April 14 09:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, "my" Elizabeth was the sister of Samuel Cheeke Morris.
Cheers,
Alpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 April 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
We have only very sketchy information on the Morris family.  My 2nd great grandfather - George Morris - arrived in the US just in time to join the Union army during the Civil War.  He married in 1866 and fathered a son - William Henry and died shortly after.  The only clue we have to his English roots is the bible in his possession which was handed down from John Skitt who signed the inside cover with his name and Longnor Hall.  This was recently traced to John Skitt's will located in the UK National Archives and led me to a list of John Skitt's relations:  Morris, Loxdale and others - although no Massey's were on the list.  We think that Samuel Cheek Morris may have been an uncle to George.  If any of this is a match for your family, I would love to share information!

Offline Alpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 April 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hello
I can't help you very much as the name Skitt means nothing to me.  However, I do know that Richard Warren married Ann Loxdale, 16 Dec 1759 at St Mary, Stafford, England and they had five children, none of them called Elizabeth. 

But, Elizabeth Warren knew Joseph Loxdale Warren.  She (possibly eloped with and) married Thomas Morris of Ribbesford, Worc on 2 Mar 1782 at St Peter Cornhill, London.  He was the son of Mary Cheeke and Thomas Morris, and he was christened 23 Apr 1762.  Apparently in the Royal Navy he was buried in a garden at Port Antonio (Jamaica?).  Before that they had three children: Samuel Cheeke (chr 23 Feb 1783 - 25 Jan 1839) who married Sarah and had one son Samuel (maybe also some daughters),
Elizabeth (bpt 29 June 1785 - 31 Dec 1838) who married John Massey, and
Joseph (chr 7 Jan 1787 - ??)

Elizabeth Warren/Morris married secondly Robert Meek on 15 Dec 1791 and had three more sons.
Samuel Cheeke Morris inherited the property of his grandmother Mary Cheeke/Morris.

Elizabeth Morris and John Massey (my 3x great-grandparents) have descendants in four generations with the name Loxdale as a Christian name.

It is through the Cheeke family that I was able to trace a very circuitous route back to William the Conqueror and his wife Matilda who was descended from Charlemagne, King of the Franks.

The information I have given you comes mainly from familysearch.org
If you Google Shropshire Archives and key in Samuel Cheeke Morris, Loxdale etc, you will find more information. Likewise Staffordshire Archives, etc. And if you do find a connection to the Morris and Cheeke families I will happily give you some more information about them.

I would be very interested to know exactly what John Skitt's Will said in regard to Loxdale, as this might help me to solve that mystery.

Cheers,
Alpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 April 14 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
John Skitt's will is available at the UK archives - you may be able to find the link by entering John Skitt and Longnor Hall.  The Family Search center also shows a William Morris baptised in Baschurch (where the Cheek family had property) with parents Thomas Morris and Elizabeth - date of baptism is 21 June 1789.  Joseph Morris baptised at the same place on 7 Jan 1787 also with parents Thomas Morris and Elizabeth.  And a daughter Elizabeth baptised in Baschurch on 3 Jun 1792.  If you are correct as to the date of your Elizabeth - then it seems likely that the 3 I've found from Baschurch are from a different line.  The family bible in our possession - and the will naming Thomas, Samuel, William, John and Joseph Morris - as well as all the Loxdales may not connect to Samuel Cheek Morris at all.  I'll keep searching and let you know if I have a breakthrough.

Offline Katrina1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 May 14 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Alpha
   I am currently researching my paternal ancestors and found your pst regarding Lord Buckley / Bulkeley, my interest is that this lord is strongly connected to my line of Buckley's from Sr Richard Bulkeley/Buckley of Baron Hill, Beaumaris, Anglesey, Wales.
I did note that Lord Thomas Bulkeley / Buckley married an Elizabeth Warren as I am still working on this line I am discovering that there is a vast amount of work to do to connect my Buckley line however I have got as far as John Buckley birth 1680 death 1773 In Oldham, Lancashire married to Lady Mary Howard birth 1687 death 1729 I have yet to find John's father I am still going through the research process this will also include visits to the central library for heraldry books.
If I come across anything that helps you for Thomas and Elizabeth I will let you know.
Regards
Katrina Meyrick (nee Buckley)
Buckley's of Madeley Shropshire, Rochdale, Oldham Cheshire, Bulkeley's of Cheshire and Beaumaris Anglesey Wales Stanton, Turner, Taylor, Peabody. Woodall, Perkin, Wadsworth, Whittaker.

Offline glimpse39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 June 15 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Alpha  I joined RootsChat just yesterday, so don't really know what I'm doing yet. In any event, I saw your post saying you're interested in Hobbs of Hambleden. My partner, Judy Bowles, has found that her (I think) g-g-g-grandfather, Robert Hobbs, was born in Hambleden in 1809. Later he lived in Marlow, where his granddaughter, Kate Hobbs, met Thomas Bowles. They married in Hambleden. From research on the internet, I rather think that Robert's father was one Francis Hobbs.

Would you be familiar with any of these names?

Kind regards, glimpse39