Author Topic: Richard Henderson Hill, b.1900 Seacombe-Baptismal Records?  (Read 4193 times)

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Henderson Hill, b.1900 Seacombe-Baptismal Records?
« on: Wednesday 02 April 14 16:02 BST (UK) »
Richard Henderson Hill was born in Seacombe, Birkenhead in 1900.His parents were Richard and Annie Hill. His siblings Alice ( b.1890 ), Charles Victor ( b.1897 ), James Austin ( b.1904 ) and Samuel George ( b.1906 )were all born and baptised ( Alice and Charles Victor ) in Liverpool. I can find no details via LDS Baptismal Records of Richard Henderson Hill's baptism.Of course he may not have been baptised. Is anyone able to find any details for me ? Presumably if he was baptised in Seacombe or Birkenhead any records would now be kept in the Records Office in Chester ?

Pirhana.
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Henderson Hill, b.1900 Seacombe-Baptismal Records?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

was born in Seacombe, Birkenhead in 1900

His birth was registered in the December qtr 1900 in the Birkenhead RD - CheshireBMD shows it was in the sub district of Wallasey.  Given it was the last qtr of 1900 - any baptism could have been in 1901

Baptisms could take place a long time after a birth (if at all) so more info is needed to help narrow any search for anybody prepared to look through the various parish registers

What was his full date of birth and at what address in Seacombe was he born? 
What religion were the family?

Where are the family in 1901

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
To caroleW, Thanks for your reply. I'm only able to answer one or two of your questions, I'm afraid. I don't have Richard H. Hill's birth certificate so I don't know the exact date of birth or where his parents were living at the time of his birth. One of the problems may be that his father ( also Richard Hill ) was a seaman. Although I know where members of the family were living at the time of both the 1891 and 1911 censuses I have found no trace of any of them so far in 1901 despite checking via various sites.The only thing that I know for certain is that the family classed themselves as " C.of E." Alice Hill ( b.1890 ) was baptised at St. Cyprians Church in Edge Hill Liverpool and Charles Victor Hill was baptised at St. Clements Church, Beaumont St. , Toxteth, Liverpool.

Pirhana.
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Offline MeganR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know this was posted in 2014, but after searching my family tree and my great grandfathers name, I was directed to this webpage. My mum is the eldest granddaughter of Richard Henderson Hill, he was born on the 4th September 1900 and died in 1979. We have a lot of photographs of other family members taken in Seaforth but do not know who they are.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 May 15 00:33 BST (UK) »
Found Charles in 1901 - Prospect Vale Stanley Cottage Wallasey

Christina Henderson   50 b Scotland
James  27 b Scotland
William 18 b Liverpool
Marie  23 b Liverpool
John Beardsworth 22 cousin b Liverpool
Charles Hill   3 visitor b Liverpool
RG13 Piece 3406 Folio 146 Page 50
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
To meganR and caroleW, very interesting and thanks. To meganR, my grandmother ( maiden name Alice Hill ) was Richard Henderson Hill's sister. He also had three brothers ( Charles Victor, James Austin and Samuel George ). His brother Charles Victor was married in 1925 to a May Robinson at St. Thomas's church in Seaforth and Richard Henderson Hill was one of the witnesses. Some of the photographs you have may be of this.Richard Henderson Hill himself was married in 1930 to a Margaret V.Ritson at St. Clement's church, Toxteth, Liverpool.

Pirhana.

Offline MeganR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 20:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you CarolW and Pirhana.
To Pirhana thank you for your information. We have a letter, written by (we think) Charles Victors wife when he was lost at sea. We also have a photograph of their children when they were young. We do have a wedding picture which looks like Richard Henderson Hill is the witness, Margaret V Hill is a bridesmaid, but both their parents are present (the Hills and the Ristons) so we are unsure.

We also have a picture of a little girl who looks like she is Scottish dancing with a kilt on. There is another picture of this little girl with her parents. My mum was wondering if this could be your grandmother?

Here's a little bit of information about Richard Henderson Hill. He was also a seaman (merchant) with the Cunard white star line for 25 years. He was on the maiden voyage of the Mauretania and also the Queen Elizabeth when she made a secret run from Glasgow to New York at the beginning of the war. He was on board the Empress of Asia when she was sunk in Singapore Harbour in 1942 and was a prisoner of war from three and a half years.

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 May 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
To MeganR, thank you for the further information regarding Richard Henderson Hill, particularly his wartime experiences! Regarding the weddings and photos which you mentioned I don't know whether this will help , but here goes;when Charles Victor Hill married in 1925 the witnesses are shown as an R.H.Hill ( ! )and a Barbara Burridge. It's very possible that the future Margaret V. Hill ( nee Ritson ) may have been there as a bridesmaid , but I don't know for certain. In 1927 James Austin Hill ( Richard's brother ) married a Lilian Nelson at St. Catherine's Church, Edge Hill , Liverpool.The witnesses are shown as R.H.Hill( !) and M.V.Ritson ( !). Although I haven't checked this for definite the fourth brother ( Samuel George Hill ) may have married a Rachel Davis in 1928, but I don't know whether it was a church or civil wedding and I don't know who the witnesses were.The witnesses at Richard's wedding to Margaret Ritson at St. Clement's Church, Toxteth in 1930 are shown as a Henry Dinsdale, Dorothy Florence Ritson and Violet Constance Ritson. The sister of the four Hill brothers, Alice Hill  was married in 1915 to an Alfred Dinsdale.

Pirhana.