Author Topic: Finding the church name in baptism records Cork  (Read 5756 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding the church name in baptism records Cork
« on: Saturday 04 January 14 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I am a newbie when it comes to Irish records. I just had great success with my Ulster relatives, and now starting on the Cork ones. I was thrilled to find relevant baptisms on http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/  - even better to have the actual documents! but I don't know how to get the name of the Church..... can someone tell me what " Recorded Parochial Area RINGRONE, BALLINDINE AND TEMPLEFINES (COURCY'S COUNTRY OR BALLINSPITTAL)" indicates? My 2 X great grandmother was Elizabeth Ross, parents Nathaniel Ross and Margaret Buckley. I think I have found the death of Nathaniel Ross in 1881 but I can't find a death for his wife Margaret as yet. I have discovered siblings of Elizabeth:  Nathaniel bap 1840 and Mary Anne bap 1828 (died 1878). These people were supposed to be wealthy, with Nathaniel Snr employed by a shipping company, but I can find no trace of him except in Dean St, in Griffith's Valuation (verified by previous family history). I'd appreciate some guidance! Cheers, Louise in Perth, Australia
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the church name in baptism records Cork
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 January 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Wouldn't have thought someone employed by a shipping company would have been classed as wealthy.
For reference here are the children of Nathaniel Ross & Margaret Buckley-
Mary (1827) http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/9c17740024195
Elizabeth (1828) http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/877d7f0024454
Nathaniel (1840) http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/40d3d20085210

The 1881 Nathaniel Ross death was in Cork (age 87 so born c1794) but I'm wondering if the Dublin CORK entry in Griffith's is actually the same Nathaniel Ross.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 January 14 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - it was a Cork Entry: Occupier:    Nathaniel Ross
Lessor:    Anne Carew
County:    Cork
Barony:    Cork
Parish:    St Finbar
Townland:    Dean-street
OS Page Numbers:    74

Really, I don't know what 'wealthy' means here...... he was meant to be in shipping, and his daughter said he was an 'accountant'. Maybe better off compared to the Cuttle family  (that Elizabeth married into)!. I thought if he was in business, he would show up in a trad directory, but not yet.
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 January 14 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, just corrected error about Cork (not Dublin)  :-[

If he was 'in shipping' and possibly an 'accountant' then I suspect shipping clerk  or similar. Since he was likely an employee rather than employer then he's not likely to be listed in directories for that period.

If you look at the full details in Griffith's it says house offices yard & garden with a very modest value.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 January 14 12:09 GMT (UK) »
with reference to the names
They refer to townlands and parishes of the area

This link gives a map of each townland for reference

example
Civil parish of Ringrone,  was in the barony of Courcey's, in the Poor Law Union of Kinsale

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 January 14 12:17 GMT (UK) »
...great link, thankyou! somewhere in the parish of Ringrone? How can I connect that with a particular church? or is it not possible?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 January 14 12:27 GMT (UK) »

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 January 14 12:43 GMT (UK) »
thankyou.... that seems to take me back to the original site, although I have a better understanding of where the area is. I found this:
Courceys Parish is a union of Ringrone, Kilroan, Templetrine and Ballinadee. The parish was first called Courceys on the official list of 1814. The parish derives its name from the deCourcey family who had the Manor of Ringrone and the title Baron of Kinsale.
Church at Ballinspittle: Post Penal
The church built at Ballinspittle in 1752 by Father Denis McCarthy, PP, is believed to be the oldest post-reformation church in Ireland. It is believed to have been dedicated to the Blessed Trinity. The site of the present church was purchased by Canon D. Murphy (1914-19) who also built the bell tower and was given authorisation by Bishop Daniel Coholan to bless the new Stations of the Cross in 1918.

So it could be the parish church of Ballinspittle, dedicated to the Blessed Trinity  (?)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 January 14 13:44 GMT (UK) »
very possibly; although I have connections to Kinsale my knowledge of this area is slim

this is a link to the current parish
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder