Author Topic: McAdam  (Read 3377 times)

Offline larry.t

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McAdam
« on: Saturday 27 November 10 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching my GGGGgrandmother Mary McAdam's family, her father was Alexander McAdam born 1756 in Ayreshire and married a Mary Little born 1765, I have looked into the Waterhead McAdam's etc and have come up empty. If anyone can help I would be grateful.......................Lawrence

Offline KarieK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McAdam
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 December 10 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Larry
I am also tracing McAdams from Ayrshire and have looked into the waterhead tree and came up with nothing.  Where in Ayrshire was Alexander born and do you know where they married.  I am primarily looking in Ayr, Ayrshire.  My gr gr grandmother Annie McAdam was born in Ayr 1810.
Karen
Kerr/Lauchlan/Montgomery/Cook-Dalry, Ayrshire
Stewart/Wylie/Small/Jack-Kilwinning, Ayrshire
Davidson/Urquhart/Lindsay-Dreghorn, Ayrshire
Henderson-Kilbirnie, Ayrshire

Offline larry.t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 December 10 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,
      I originally received all my information from a long lost cousin in California, called Robert Sheldon Telford, His GG Grandmother is the same as mine. He issued a complete lineage on Rootsweb under the name of RS Telford database, but I am starting to question these records, because he said that Alexander McAdam came from the Waterhead family, but my further research says that there was only one surviving son, and that was John Loudon McAdam, son of James McAdam and Susanna Cochrane
Their children were, James, Jacobina,Gissel,Elizabeth,Catherine,Sarah,John Loudon  and two children that died young.
     I have two possibilities for Alexander which fits, #1 Alexander born in Dumfries 1756, and  #2 which makes more sense, Alexander born in Brigham Cumberland, 1763       I hope this info' helps...................Larry

Offline Robuste

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 June 14 08:20 BST (UK) »
It would be ironic if there was any connection between a Telford family  and a McAdam family given the revelry between John Loudon McAdam and Thomas Telford.

Whose Children as those in your list? I don't think they are the grandchildren of James and Susanna McAdam. If they are I shouldn't exist :) Some of the names are certainly typical McAdam / Cochrane names, and any other John Loudon McAdam would have to be related.

Offline Robuste

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 June 14 08:28 BST (UK) »
Alexander does seem to be a common christian name in the Craigengillan branch of the family though... they were in Ayshire too of course... could be worth looking at. I'm not sure that anyone has established the exact connection between Waterhead and Craigengillan but I think they are almost certainly descended from a younger Waterhead son somewhere.

Offline Robuste

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 July 14 08:05 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if larry.t or Kariek are still watching this forum post.
I think that it is unlikely that they are descended from James McAdam of waterhead born 1662 who married Margaret Reid as their descendants are reasonably well known.
However they could easily be descended from earlier generations of this family. Do you have any males with the McAdam surname in your families who could have there Y DNA tested at www.familytreedna.com ? My closest matches are two men in the USA that in theory there is a >90% chance I have a common ancestor around 8 generations ago.... ie about the time of the James an Margaret mentioned above. They don't have details of their last ancestor in Scotland but believe it is probably Ayrshire. If either was interested you could send me a pm and discuss it further.
Rod

Offline Amethyst500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Reply to Larry.t - Alexander McAdam - If you are still looking for information, AM is my 4x GGF, let me know.