Author Topic: Help! What happened to Dr. James Howie  (Read 8956 times)

Offline jimmymac90

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help! What happened to Dr. James Howie
« on: Monday 18 June 12 03:37 BST (UK) »
James Howie (Physician Surgeon) married Margaret Mcvitie in Old Cummnock 1806. They moved to Kilwinning where they had at least six children including Charles, my G.G.Grand Father and his sister Jean. Charles moved to Dundonald where he worked as a Blacksmith’s labourer and Jean ended up dying as a pauper in the Irvine poorhouse. Not what you would expect from the children of a physician/surgeon. I can find no record of the deaths of James or Margaret, which must have been after 1824 when their last known child, Margaret, was born. Nor can I find any records of the other children.
I would love to know what happened to bring this family down to such dire straits, especially Jean, ending up in the poorhouse.
If anyone has come across this family line, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help! What happened to Dr. James Howie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 July 12 12:51 BST (UK) »

Margaret McVitie [1785 - 1828]  I found this on Family  Search.

Offline jimmymac90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 July 12 03:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks normamac, if that is her that could be part of the answer. I know they had about six children and if Margaret died in 1828 James was left, a widower, with six kids varying in ages from four to eighteen. (This is where the imagination takes over. Did he turn to drink? Or, as a physician, drugs? Ending his life a gibbering wreck and leaving his kids penniless to end up in the poorhouse).  :)
Perhaps there was a more mundane reason. I’ll have to keep looking.
Anyway, thanks again.

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 July 12 06:34 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Are you sure he was a medical surgeon  In old occupations a barber/hairdresser was also known as a surgeon.

This may be Margaret  born 1824  in the 1851 census

29 Housebank,
Grange St.
Kilmarnock
Ayr

unmarried age 27 born kilwinning   occ .   cook

7 children born to this couple on Family Search. 2 named John ,1 born 1807 and another John born 1811.James D Howie born 1781 married 9th Aug. 1806.

Offline jimmymac90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 July 12 01:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks again normamac that could well be Margaret in 1851.

I’m pretty sure James Howie was a medical surgeon based on the OPR on SP. When he married in 1806 he is recorded as James Howie, Surgeon, of Kilwinning, on the births of his various children he is recorded as James Howie, Surgeon, James Howie, Physician and Dr James Howie. On the death certificates of his children Jean and Charles, both after 1855, their father’s occupation is given as Physician/Surgeon.

Again pure speculation, but based on what you’ve given me, Margaret McVitie dying in 1928 and Margaret in the 1851 census, it looks like something happened after his wife’s death to break up the family. My G.G. Grand Father, Charles, was working as a labourer in Dundonald in 1841 and it now looks like his sister Margaret is in domestic service in 1851.

The family you mention is the right one with the two Johns, I’m assume the first one died in infancy. I’m not convinced about the John D Howie born 1781 though, this would make him 25 when he married in 1806 and, as at this time he was a surgeon, it seems a little young, I must admit I don’t know how long it took to qualify in 1806 though. The problem I have is that there a lot of Howie’s living in Ayrshire at this time, as I’ve found when chasing a lot of false leads on SP.

Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated.

Offline rickcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 July 12 04:31 BST (UK) »
Can I ask if your Dr. John Howie had any younger brothers?  I started researching my family and some of my older cousins have information but have not been willing to share much with me.  I do have a note saying that my ancester to emigrated to the US had a brother named Dr. John Howie but I am not sure that the birth dates will line up.  My ancestor was born in 1811.

Offline jimmymac90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 July 12 02:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry Rickcd but it is Dr JAMES Howie. Whether he had any brothers or not I’ve no idea as I’ve not managed to figure out who his parents were, I’ve narrowed it down to about eight couples but not sure about any of them. I would agree about the dates though. My James Howie had a son Robert born in 1810 and another son John born in 1811 so I doubt if he also had a brother born around the same time.
What was your ancestors name and do you know where he came from? I’ve looked at a lot of Howies in Ayrshire over the last couple of years and I might have come across him.

Offline smidget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 July 12 04:44 BST (UK) »
Jimmymac90
Have you come across John Howie born 1816 in Kilmarnock to James Howie and Elizabeth Crooks? He had an older sister (name unknown) and an older brother James Howie b.1814. Brother James had a son Dr. James Muir Howie of Newcastle, born around 1845.
John Howie was very involved with the Miner's Relief Fund in Co. Durham. He was my gg grandfather. I strongly believe I have the correct parents but would like to verify this somehow.
Janet

Offline jimmymac90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 July 12 04:36 BST (UK) »
Smidget
I’ve been going through all my old notes but that’s one I don’t have. Very interesting though, another Dr. Howie. I’m beginning to think it’s some kind of family tradition. Oldest son gets the farm and the second son goes into medicine type of thing. I’ll keep looking and if I come across anything I’ll let you know.
Jimmy