Author Topic: Advice required for birth certificate  (Read 7199 times)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: Advice required for birth certificate
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 15 May 14 11:24 BST (UK) »
This is for Deirdre784

Sorry to but in to this topic but I see you are looking for names in Somerset & wonder if you have tried the web site run by ian sage if not just type ian sage into google & you will get his home page - then click on Parish Registers & you will get links to all the free parish register sites in Somerset

Its a good site & I use it regularly when working as a FHS volunteer researcher in Weston Library with the FHS

I hope this is of help

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare on holiday in WOR
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 16 May 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Again
I don't think my Burfords will be any help to you as they are in the 1700s SORRY

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Emmajo2014

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I ordered the Birth certificate for Martha Jones. Her father on there is stated as George Jones. Despite being in the census for 1901 and her father being George Burford. She has even listed as George burford on her marriage certificate as her father. Could it be possible that Ann put Jones as his surname as they were not married?

I cannot find a marriage certificate for Marthas parents George and Ann and yet on Anns death certificate it states she was widowed and her husband was George Burford. Very confused!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
Could it be possible that Ann put Jones as his surname as they were not married?

Yes.

Was Ann the informant? Do other things tie in such as address and George's occupation?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 21 June 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
Just a thought, was Martha married more than once & was her first married name Burford & she may have changed her fathers surname to accomidate this but her maiden name could have been Jones - it happens & has on my tree a few times

Good hunting

All the very best

Phil

ps I could have made this clearer so I hope you follow my meaning
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 21 June 14 12:21 BST (UK) »
I cannot find a marriage certificate for Marthas parents George and Ann and yet on Anns death certificate it states she was widowed and her husband was George Burford. Very confused!

Not that unusual. I always assumed that my aunt and uncle were married but couldn't find a marriage anywhere. Luckily my uncle had an unusual name and eventually I found his marriage, but to someone else, I then found this lady's death in 1968, after my aunt died. So I presume that he left his first wife but couldn't marry my aunt as he was already married but not divorced. My aunt just took his name and lived and died with it. On her death certificate she is described as "wife of". 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk