Author Topic: Salt Maker?  (Read 9191 times)

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
Salt Maker?
« on: Sunday 07 August 05 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I am studying my family history - the Knight family of Droitwich in particular - and have noticed that several of my family members were 'salt makers'.  does anyone have any idea about this profession and does anyone know of any sites that contain old photos of Droitwich and the salt mines(?) etc

Cheers
Jan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Maker?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 05 13:51 BST (UK) »
I don't think it was mines. I think it was wells. They pumped the salty water to the surface (I think it was more salty than the Dead sea) and then extracted the salt in the salt works.
You can purchase a pictorial history of Droitwich from Phillimores
http://www.phillimore.co.uk/acatalog/Bookshop_Individual_places_in_Worcestershire_117.html
Worcestershire county council have also produced a publication
http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/home/cs-archeo-info/cs-archeo-publications.htm

And it you fancy the experience of bathing in the hot brine baths, you can book yourself in here
http://www.brinebath.co.uk/
I went as a child but the baths have been closed for years. They have now reopened a whole new health centre, so well worth the experience if you've never tried it and if you are in England a lot closer than the Dead Sea.

Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 August 05 22:43 BST (UK) »
Thanx for the post Jan

My Worcestershire side of the family were all salt makers/loaders as well as the bargemen who transported it so that answered my questions as well!

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 07:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda!

Does any one else know anything more about this process and can anyone recommend any Web pages etc where I can get information from - especially interested in the salt industry in or around Droitwich.

Many Thanks
Jan

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 09:26 BST (UK) »
Google throws up loads of sites Jan try this one it gives you the history of salt making and Droitwich http://www.saltsense.co.uk/aboutsalt01.htm

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 October 05 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hi slloyd

THanks for this!

what a fab site!

Cheers :D
Jan

TIVEY, WILDE,

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 October 05 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
      I used to work at Dampier in W.A.'s North West where the worlds biggest exporter of salt is, Thought you may want to see how they do it
http://www.dampiersalt.com.au/tnpn002785/prod/dsl/dslhome.nsf
                                                        All the best
                                                                   Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 October 05 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I come from what was (and still is) the UK's principal salt-making area - Mid-Cheshire.  many of my fathers ancestors worked in the salt industry, and the associated chemical industry in Mid-Cheshire which used salt as a raw material.

General information:  In the UK, towns which end in -WICH are usually associated with salt making or trading.  Hence DroitWICH, and in Cheshire we have NorthWICH, MiddleWICH, and NantWICH.  The Droitwich salt field ran down in the early part of last century, so I have relatives from Worcestershire who moved up to Cheshire to find work in their trade.

Salt-making:   most salt in the UK is extracted by brine-pumping.  In Cheshire there are two layers of rock salt.  The top layer was extensively mined in Winsford, Middlewich and Northwich.  These mines subsequently flooded and then brine was pumped out of the old workings.  This "wild brining" as it was called caused a great deal of subsidence as the old mine workings collapsed. 

Such working was outlawed about 100 years ago, and then all salt in Cheshire has been worked from the deeper layer.  This is done by controlled brine pumping in most cases, where a bore hole is made into the salt layer and then water pumped down and brine back up.  The  process is stopped once a certain dimension of hollow has been excavated, and then a new well is made. 

There does remain one rock salt mine in Cheshire, at Winsford.  This is also in the bottom layer, and is the source of all that "grit" which is put onto the UK roads and rots our cars so well!!

Brine is turned into salt by the process of evaporation.  Salt used to be boiled in big open vats or "pans", and the solidified salt cut into lumps and taken out.  You used to be able to buy "lump salt" like that in the shops when I was a lad! 

For more information and history on salt-making see some of these websites:

http://www.ncsw.co.uk/ for a present day salt-maker.
http://www.lionsaltworkstrust.co.uk/ - a preserved salt-works and good history source.
http://www.saltmuseum.org.uk/ the Northwich Salt museum
http://www.british-salt.co.uk/education/history.htm - more history from British Salt

The motto of Northwich on the Northwich Coat of Arms is "Sal est Vita".  If you hated Latin at school, then you'll not know what that means!!  But basically it means "Salt is life" - a double-play really because salt IS necessary for life, we can't function without it.  And salt has been vital to Northwich and its inhabitants for many centuries.

Garry Brookes

Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Lancashire - Forsyth, Haddock, Hanlon

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Staffordshire - Habberley, Mills, Billings, Breeze

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 October 05 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Garry

Thanks for taking the time to answer in such detail - this is most fascinating!

Cheers
Jan ;)

P s Cute Foto!

TIVEY, WILDE,