Author Topic: TORRISDALE BURIAL GROUND - Peggy James?  (Read 16259 times)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
TORRISDALE BURIAL GROUND - Peggy James?
« on: Saturday 31 July 10 12:28 BST (UK) »
I was photographing the last few war graves in the North of Scotland for the War Grave Photographic Project last week. 

Whilst photographing an outstanding one in Torrisdale Burial Ground I happened to notice one headstone for a Peggy James age 35 who was lost at sea on SS Sagaing on 19 October 1939 along with her two children.

I looked up the ship when I got home and it was attacked by a U-Boat the previous day but is reported undamaged so wondered how three could be lost at sea.

The memorial appears to have been erected by her husband.

I just wondered if anyone with any knowledge of the area knows any more of the story?

Martin Briscoe
Fort William

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline robertloakes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TORRISDALE BURIAL GROUND - Peggy James?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 October 11 18:15 BST (UK) »
Martin, Hi

I have more detail for the Peggy James you mention.

Her husband was a Jack James(born Abingdon, Oxs). HE is my wife's grandfather.

He married again to a Peggy Joy Belton in 1943/1944? and he died just after D-Day in Herioville near Caen France. He is buired in Ranville France. They had one daughter Angela James now Angela Tate.

I have been trying to get further info for my mother in law on the whole affair and having this extra info helps.

Where exactely was the grave? My mother in law would like to visit some time.

Have attached one pic. Would you like more pics of them and/or further info at all?

Regards

Robert Loakes

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 October 11 18:39 BST (UK) »
Go to this site and enter TORRISDALE

http://www.infromthecold.org/war_grave_cemeteries.asp?from=search

It will bring up an aerial view, if you zoom out you will be able to see where it is.

I can send the pictures that I took if you wish, send me an EMail Address by Private Message.

Have you seen Jack James' grave?

http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=2296711

MB
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 October 11 18:41 BST (UK) »
It looks as if the correct name of the burial ground is SKERRAY

http://her.highland.gov.uk/SingleResult.aspx?uid=MHG44759

MB
O'Shea - Quebec

Offline robertloakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 October 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
Martin, thanks for all that. I have sent a message to you web page contact email. Did you get that. Regards

Robert Loakes

Offline RoyW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 March 13 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I came across this post as I have been researcing an incident that presumably occurred at the same time. My Grand parents were aboard the SS Sagaing with their children on the way back from India via Malta and following what was at the time thought to be a U boat attack on the 18th October 1939  they also lost 2 children from an innappropropriately launched life boat on the SS Sagaing.A third child was in the boat but survived and amazingly my mother suvived a fall from the lifeboat deck to the one below!
The ship was part of convoy HG3.that ws attacked on the previous day by U boat  with the loss of the Yorkshire.
I have a statement made by my Grandfather about the incident he was in the RA.(Iwould attatch it if I knew how) I have been unable so far to get a copy of the ships log.
There is another thread on this site titled lost at sea by a Teddy Edards that appears to be about the same incident.I have left message but no reply.

Offline robertloakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
Roy,I guess it is Roy?
My mother in laws father's 1st wife was lost with 2 children on the sagaing as noted in the original post by Martin about the cemetery in Skerray.
Do you still need further information?

I have via Martin also heard from someone else who lived in Canada who was on the sagaing at the time of the accident in oct 1939 and knew the people who were lost.

Would you like further info?

If you have anything that you could share, that would be good too.
Thanks Robert Loakes

Offline RoyW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,
I have a typed account of the incident written by my Grandfather if you would like a copy.
I have also been to the National archive and seen the Ships log.It was not possible to get copies and the document is not for digitisation.The log is in a file with only a couple of others.The document has been subject to the 30 year rule and is marked to be preserved and to be reviewed under supervision only and we were!!
The are some differences in the way the log has been written when compared to the others in the group.The logged account does not quite tally with that of my Grandfather.I have pictures of the logs pages on my I pad.
I thought that maybe there would have been a board of trade enquirey but I wouldn't really know how to find the relevant record although I have had a go.
I stopped reseach for a while as my Mother became quite upset and began again to have nightmares seeing the boat torpedoed on the previous day going down.
My mother remembers the lost lady and the children from the previous post.
I am not sure how to attach this  stuff on this site but I can handle E mail. I notice from above that it may be possible to send a private message with an E mail address but I dont know how to do that Sorry.
Have got to go now but keep i touch
I will see if I can find some time to learn how to use this site.
Roy

Offline robertloakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
Roy that is great

My email address is robertloakes@yahoo.com if you want to email me.

I will get a transcript done for you too saying what I have found out.

Where did you go to see the log?

Regards

robert