Author Topic: Mystery of the Grieving Patton Heiress  (Read 58716 times)

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
Mystery of the Grieving Patton Heiress
« on: Thursday 29 May 08 04:43 BST (UK) »
I collect antique curved glass frames  of Victorian vintage and often they contain a charcoal drawing of a person's relative done in the days when artists visited people in Canada to create these likenesses as photography was a luxury especially for the poor. Two such charcoals of a very old man (likely a farmer) and his wife were given to me in Deep River, Ontario, Canada  ten years ago minus the frames but because the vendor had noted that the back of the wife's charcoal had the following script:

"Janet Patton- Howard's great grandmother, lost a little boy with scarlet fever crossing the Atlantic to Canada-carried him dead in her arms for two weeks so that he could be buried on dry land. This same Janet was heir to Patton thread fortune in England but refused to cross the ocean again to claim it. Another relative in Canada ( a lawyer) made the return voyage and claimed his share"

There is also a short "tree" which transcribes as:

Howard Mac  -  John Beaton + Amelia Thurlow - Janet Patton+John Beaton  //  Janet Beaton daughter ( sister of grandpa John Beaton) - Elizabeth Janet Beaton ( Nanny)- Janet Moffat

Presumably John Beaton is the name of the old man on the other charcoal. The group of women listed after the double strike are called "Janet's Ring". Janet in the charcoal looks to be in her late 70's. The charcoal was probably done before 1900 and she is cited as being a great grandmother. So her birth could well be late in the first quarter of the 1800's.

The story of the mother and child have haunted me for a long time and I have resolved to try and tell some of their genealogical story if not reunite this history with any modern ancestors who might cherish their memory.

I have so far been very unsuccessful in even identifying the correct lines of Patton ( presumably in England) and Beaton ( in Canada) to trace and would welcome any leads from RootsChatters.

I will try to post some photos when I figure out how to make  digital copies and upload them! The charcoals a very big.

Thanks very much, Lumber-Jack
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of the Grieving Patton Heiress
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 May 08 04:54 BST (UK) »

Hi

According to the IGI - and this is a submitted entry by the way, so pass the salt with this one......

John BEATON married Amelia THURLOW 26 Dec 1883 N. Lavant, Lanark, Ontario Canada

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 May 08 05:00 BST (UK) »

Once again from the IGI

Children for John BEATON and Amelia THURLOW :-

Annie May BEATON  born  17 August 1886 Darling Lanark Ontario ( Extracted Birth Record so pretty sure it's right )

Janet Elizabeth BEATON  born 12 Sept 1888 Alamonte Lanark Ontario ( No real source listed for this one )

John T BEATON born 3 April 1891 Alamonte Lanark Ontario ( Submitted Entry )

Minnie BEATON born 5 March 1893 Alamonte Ramsey Lanark Ontario ( Submitted Entry )

Cheers
Karenlee

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 May 08 05:15 BST (UK) »
Just bookmarking this, as it looks like it might develop into a good 'un  ;)

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 May 08 05:22 BST (UK) »

Just checked the 1881 for Canada and found the following :-

1881 Census Canada Ontario Lanark Darling
C-13233/Dist 112/F/Page 15

BEATON
John Head Marr 71 Farmer Ethnic/Origin Scottish born Cape of Good Hope Africa Religion Church of Scotland
Janet Wife Marr 69 Ethnic/Origin Scottish  born Scotland Religion Church of Scotland
Thomas Son Unmarr 27 Farmer Ethnic/Origin Scottish  born Ontario Religion Church of Scotland
Ellen Dau Unmarr 23 Etnic/Origin Scottish born Ontario Religion Church of Scotland
John Son Unmarr 19 School Teacher Ethnic/Origin Scottish born Ontario Religion Church of Scotland
Janet Dau Unmarr 16 School Teacher Ethnic/Origin Scottish born Ontario Religion Church of Scotland

Hope this is helping

Karenlee

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 May 08 05:38 BST (UK) »

Went back to the IGI and found a marriage

Janet PATON married John BEATON 15 July 1839 Gorbals Lanarkshire Scotland

This is an Extracted Marriage so is pretty right.

Just as it's getting interesting I gotta go pick the kids up from school    ---------------   typical

Have fun guys

Cheers
Karenlee

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 May 08 05:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Karenlee, that information all fits because I was just photographing the charcaols and  on the back of John's (ie Janet's likely husband) which seems to have been used as a writing pad, I found the impresion of a pen/pencil stating: Mrs John Beaton, Main Street, on Island, Almonte which is in Lanark township , adjacent to Darling Township and Ramsey and down the Ottawa valley from Deep River. So I can draw a "Tree" for the Beaton's and follow up. Janet being Scottish also fits as that is where the major thread companies came from....Coates and Clark. So does anyone have a line on a likely Patton lineage?
Here is Janet's picture if it works! Thanks Lumber-Jack
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 May 08 05:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks yet again Karenlee.....so we know it may be spelt Paton and Scottish and Beaton linkages are solid. Will have to go into the Scotland censuses. Don't seem to be able to attach a photo of Janet as it exceeds 500kb limit! Lumber-Jack
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 May 08 06:16 BST (UK) »

Just made it back from the school pick up.

I have checked the UK Census .... briefly before leaving..... and did not find anything that I felt matched what you were after.

I will have another look now, while the starving hoardes raid the pantry before piano lessons at 5pm

Karenlee