Author Topic: Agnes Johnston 1863  (Read 8310 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Johnston 1863
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 January 14 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Billy,
Just reread the thread and a point jumped into my head :)

Re Agnes's age on 1891  English Census. Please bear in mind that Agnes the cook probably didn't give her details herself. It was most likely her employer or if it was a huge household with lots of staff, the head of the domestic servants who provided the details. They may have estimated her age  :)

Did you rule out the Peebleshire born lady in Lanarkshire?
Looby :)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 January 14 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.

It was only Agnes and Catherine Donoghue ( born Northumberland ) who "lived in  but I`ve looked on Family Search and there is Catherine Donoghue, born Northumberland about 1861, so she could have been the 30 year old and Agnes could have been the one who should have been listed as 25. As you say, an error could have been made either by the employer or the enumerator.

I had been thinking this was not my Agnes as I thought she always worked in the woolen industry, but another look at the 1881 Census shows her as not working.

I haven`t ruled out the Lanarkshire Agness, but I haven`t forgotten her. Thanks

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 January 14 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I decided to get onto the Lanarkshire Agness straightaway. She`s not mine, that Agness was the wife of David Johnston. My Agnes ( spinster ) married in Hawick in 1892. On the 1891 census her husband to be was living with someone else !!

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 January 14 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hate to throw a spanner in the works but there is a 40 year old Agnes Johnstone on the 1901 England Census at Belford Northumberland :( . She is registered as a servant.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XS9N-ZLF

You would need to look at a better transcription/original to determine whether this is the Cook at Idlerton.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 January 14 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Meant to add-
Where are Agnes's parents at the 1891 Census?
I would have thought an unmarried woman at the time would have either been living with family or in service.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 January 14 14:44 GMT (UK) »
As I put at the beginning I have everything about Agnes Johnston born Innerleithen 1863, daughter of James Johnston and Mary Ballantyne, except for her whereabouts on the 1891 census.

On the 1881 census she was with her parents, sister Mary and 2 nephews in Selkirk.

In 1891 James and Mary Johnston were in Hawick, alone.

1892 Agnes Johnston married James Black 1892 in Hawick
1901 Scotland Census Agnes Black aged 36, marr, occ. wool carder, born Innerleithen,lived Hawick with Adam Black aged 7, son,born Hawick, also Mary Johnston aged 65,widow, her mother.

It`s just the 1891 census I`m puzzled over, but as Agnes does not show up on the Scotland census I`m edging towards the cook at Ilderton.

My latest thought is that she may have been living with someone else from her family as in the past I had to search for this family , using a child`s name, so I`ve that track to follow.

Thanks for your help

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 31 January 14 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Billy,
Sorry for asking you to repeat info but I misunderstood -
Quote from reply 2- To correct myself my first post should read James and Mary Johnston were in Hawick in1901

I thought you meant that you had not found them either in 1891 ;)

I don't think the 30 year old Scottish cook at Ilderton is your lady, not when 10 years later there is a 40 year old Scottish servant (could still be a cook- original would need to be looked at) only a few miles away at Belford.

If Agnes was married at Hawick and her parents were in Hawick that makes me wonder if she's in Hawick or nearby and her name's been mistranscribed??
You mention that on the 1891 Census her husband to be is living with someone else. Do you mean he's lodging or do you think he's co-habiting? If he is living with a lady have you considered that this could be Agnes  :o? She may have given false details :o
Don't mean to miscall your ancestor but these things did happen :-X

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 31 January 14 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Looby, I`ve taken a look at the 1901 Agnes in Ellingham/Belford. I think she must be the Ilderton cook although now ( 1901 ) she is a housekeeper/domestic, so I need to work on the family aspect for 1891;she may have been with one of her siblings ( 6 of them !! ), but definitely not with her mother and father.

On 1891 the husband to be ( widower, I have the death of his first wife ) was listed in Hawick living with his son and Kethern Conner ( boarder ) unemployed millworker.
Thanks

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 January 14 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Think Ketherin Conner could be a Catharine Connor ???
There is a girl of that name on the 1871 Census at Melrose born 1863. But can't see her on 1881.
Good luck with your search.