Author Topic: maria challoner nee conner?  (Read 5608 times)

Offline rodc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: maria challoner nee conner?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi dathai,
Yep..both of those were already known of and have been explored.
Their birthplaces or records of registration will have to be looked at again.
The other post re: Ballaghkeen was looked at and there seems to be a church there that may hold some records worthwhile chasing down.
Castle Ellis records were found in the hands of a former minister by my collaborator and from them the correct name of : Maria Connors is given. She was apparantly of the protestant faith and some whispers from the past said she came from the Enniscorthy area, her own ancestors evidently having been among those killed in 1798.
Thanks again,
Rodc

Offline rodc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: maria challoner nee conner?
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 February 14 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Maria Connors was the name. It is still thought she originated in the Enniscorthy district and the Griffiths Valuations have uncovered plenty of likenamed persons, but no link to her as of yet.
Possibility also that she was from Wexford Town where it seems there are also lots of Connors.
Castle Ellis Church is presumed to have been of protestant denomination and from what I can find out was de-established somewhere about 1870. Then it seems the buildings were allowed to go to ruin. I found the old graveyard nearby and the vicar's house also seems to have been ruined.
Can anybody add to this?
Can anybody supply the name of the last minister there. I have the one up until 1856 when he died but think the next one might be a source from which more can be extracted.
Thanks
Rodc