Author Topic: Violet May Carson , living Edinburgh 1930's.  (Read 4825 times)

Offline Thermo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Violet May Carson
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 June 14 01:26 BST (UK) »
My mother was brought up as W.M. Paton. Violet May (Mary) Carson was not known by my mother. I suspect that it was an adoption. There were no other siblings of my mother. So my interest is in possible relatives in either Ireland or Scotland. The birth certificate would seem to suggest Violet May was unmarried, but whether she was sent to Edinburgh or had been a resident we don't know.

David
Stevenson - Neilston, Paisley, Glasgow
Hillcoat - Paisley
Grant - Kinlochluichart, Kingussie
Paton - Lothian, Ayrshire
McCulloch Paisley, Glasgow
Watson - Ayrshire, Yorkshire, Glasgow
Ross - Forres
Regan - Monmouthshire
Carson - Belfast
Rankin - Glasgow and Paisley

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 June 14 04:32 BST (UK) »
So your mother was adopted, presumably at birth by a Paton family from Belfast?

The birth record found by Trish still might be worth purchasing, as she looks likely to be your mother's birth mother.

You might think that if the Patons came from Belfast, and if the 1908 Belfast birth of Violet is the correct one, then the Carson and Paton families may have known each other in Belfast. Violet may have been sent away to have the baby. There may have been some informal arrangement whereby the Patons would take the baby after birth. This might explain the inclusion of Paton as a middle name as Violet already knew who would take the baby?

Unsure when formal adoptions started in Scotland, but I think it was about 1927 in England. Have you looked for any formal record your mother being adopted by the Patons?

Are the Carsons and Patons related? Often babies would go to a relative ...

What are the names of the Paton's who 'adopted' your mother? Have you located them in the 1911 census?

Offline Thermo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 June 14 14:09 BST (UK) »
No the Carson line is Belfast. Paton line is Scottish. In the 1911 census John Paton (15yrs old) resident in Glasgow. The Adoption of Children (Scotland) Act, 1930 introduced legal adoption into Scotland that year, pre 1930 adoptions were arranged on a private basis, either by individuals or by a Charitable Organisation.

David
Hillcoat - Paisley
Ross - Forres
Regan - Monmouthshire
Carson - Belfast

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 June 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
What was your grandmother's name?
Pauline
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline Thermo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 June 14 09:32 BST (UK) »
G Parents were John and Catherine McKenzie Paton (nee: Grant)

David
Hillcoat - Paisley
Ross - Forres
Regan - Monmouthshire
Carson - Belfast

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 June 14 10:14 BST (UK) »
Right, I think we're getting there.  :-\

To recap ... until your mother purchased her own birth certificate in the 1980s she thought that John and Catherine Paton were her parents? Her b/c told her that her real surname was Carson and her mother was an Irish girl from Belfast called Violet May Carson? Presumably the Patons adopted her at some stage?

It still seems possible, that because Paton was used as one of her registered birth names, that Violet knew the Patons and had planned to give the child to them.

I would think that purchasing the birth certificate of Violet May Carson might be worth a punt.  :-\  ( though how you would ever know if she was the right Violet, I don't know, unless her address was Cranmore Park and it would be a bit of a stretch for the Carsons to be in the same house from 1908 to 1931.  :-\)

So we have determined that you have found John Paton in the 1911 Scottish census. Have you looked for any Violet Carsons in Belfast? If you were to purchase Violet's birth certificate you may get her father's name which would help in the search for the family in Ireland).

Have you contacted the relevant authorities about the possible adoption of your mother by the Patons?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 June 14 10:20 BST (UK) »
It would also be worth looking for a death and marriage for Violet May Carson in both Ireland and Scotland.

Offline Thermo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 June 14 10:59 BST (UK) »
I have looked on Family Search but the nearest I could find was Mary Carson
Oct 1908, couldn't find Trish's entry. I will be approaching the various adoption agencies to find out any additional info on identifying Violet's family history. I know that Voilet's family may have been aware of the pregnancy, they may well not have. Also they may not want to make contact due to any number of cultural issues. I would hope that someone who recognises the name, date or father's profession or locations, they could assist in identifying Violet. As I said I will be contacting the adoption Agencies and allow them to make contact, hopefully with a succesful outcome.
In the meantime I would appreciate any help in finding Violet in either Belfast or Edinburgh.

Thanks David
Hillcoat - Paisley
Ross - Forres
Regan - Monmouthshire
Carson - Belfast

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 June 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
You are right - it is worth putting the names out there so anyone searching in the future may stumble upon this thread.

Trish might be able to point you in the right direction to find the 1908 birth certificate of Violet.