Author Topic: Ballachulish  (Read 60548 times)

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballachulish
« Reply #54 on: Friday 22 February 13 12:27 GMT (UK) »
If you can get hold of a book "Records of the Diocese of Argyll and The Isles" by Craven (published about 1907) there is a section in it that lists the old Episcopalian families of Onich and North Ballachulish. Quite a few MacKenzies mentioned in it.

Offline cathymay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

My great grandfather, Donald CAMERON was born at the South Ballachulish Inn 29 May 1822 (ha that's exactly 191 years ago today!) to Angus CAMERON and Christina MCINTYRE. Angus and Christina are buried on Eilean Munde. Angus was the Ferrymaster and Innkeeper at the time.

Donald came to Australia about 1850, and his sister Clementina came several years later.

I am interested in any information anyone can give me, particularly if any of the South Ballachulish Hotel was standing at that time? I know there is a small stone building on the left side of it that I am hoping was there back then. I contacted the hotel, but they were quite unhelpful at the time.

I do know Christina's ancestry, but am at a loss to find Angus'.

Many thanks in advance for any information!

Cathy

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy
the present Ballchulish Hotel was built around 1870 and was designed by the well known Inverness architect Alexander Ross. (Ross also designed Alltshellach House on the opposite side of Loch Leven which was the residence of Alexander Chinnery-Haldane, Bishop of Argyll and The Isles.)
Good luck with your Cameron research.
abrach1

Offline hilarie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 04:57 BST (UK) »
Martin:  Googling Angus Adolphus McKenzie took me to this site.  I have been doing research of the Duncan McKenzie from Cloverdale, British Columbia. Duncan had a sister, Lilly who married a John Brooks in Ontario.  Their daughter was Kate Almira Brooks.  Kate's granddaughter just sent me an except from it which lists her uncles.

"I, Kate Almira Brooks was born Oct.31,1869 at our farm on Grovenor's Road at Village of Princeton (Dr.Benham) Brant County, Ontario, Canada, mother Lily Stuart MacKenezie, born in Ballachulish, Argylshire, Scotland. Grandmother died when my mother was an infant. There were four brothers: Hugh, Willliam, Dougall and Duncan. Grandfather came to Canada with his family of five. He had charge of the Suspension Bridge at Niagara for a time. I think he went from there to Burlington near Hamilton. Some of the boys moved to Kincardine to go fishing. Uncle Dougall lived in Hamilton,; he was an engineer in a foundry there. He used to visit us often. Uncle Duncan went to  BC when I was about ten years old, 1879. He named the place Clover Valley. I didn't know any of the others (uncles)."

With this information, plus the obituary of Duncan, I found the passenger list of the Perthsire for 1844.  It confirms that the five siblings were William (with wife), Duncan, Dougal, John and Lily. The father's name was Hugh.  As several descendants of those siblings were named John Hugh McKenzie, it seems likely that the John from the record and the Hugh from Kate's recording were the same person.  I found an 1841 Scotland census that lists the same siblings in Balachelich parish, Duror, Argyll.  The father's name was written as Ewe (the way the census taker heard it?) and the mother was Margaret.  I didn't find a death record for her, but she must have died between 1841 and 1844, which fits with what Lily told her daughter Kate.  Also, the 1851 Canada census that has the Isabella Anderson family (Duncan's wife) has a Hugh McKenzie, son Duncan and daughter Lilly living next door.

Kate's granddaughter wanted me to post this for other members of her family to see.

Hilarie 

Offline ljwallie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 07 September 13 06:07 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was Angus Adolphus MacKenzie. He was the son of Duncan and Isabella MacKenzie. He was born on Oct. 19, 1853 and died on Jan 30, 1935 in Mission, British Columbia, Canada, and was married to Agnes Rachel McKinley in Owen? Sound, Ontario, Canada.  He was a ships captain on the Great Lakes. He had one son, Charles Adolphus MacKenzie (my grandfather).
I know he was born in Ballachulish, Scotland, but am not sure when he came to Canada.

Offline scault

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hello my name is sue,
I have ancestors from Appin, Ballachulish.
My x 3 great grandfather John Clark 1805 ish was one of the slate quarry workers as was his father John 1776.
John 1805 married a Catherine McDonald and his father John married a Ann McGregor. I was just wondering if there is anyone living in Ballachulish who has family from this time. i would love to find someone related it would be fantastic.  Can I ask please if there are ant photos of the quarry workers or names of them anywhere in the village.

kind regards

Sue

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 16:04 BST (UK) »
Sue, a couple of websites for you,

http://www.durorandkentallen.co.uk

http://oldappin.com/

Skoosh

Offline scault

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you

sue  :)

Offline Lizspiers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 15 January 16 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi from Western Australia,

I have a McKenzie/Mackenzie family who were in Onich near Ballachulish, and would welcome suggestions about where to proceed further to find information about family members, or their ancestors. I visited the Archives in Fort William a couple of years ago and found records of the family as tenants of Lochiel.

Angus McKenzie: possibly born in 1786 to William McKenzie and Kate McDonald. He died between 1844 and 1845 at Onich acc. to the Lochiel Estate records, which show that his eldest son Donald has taken over the tenancy of Tor Castle Farm "as heir of Angus McKenzie." Estate Records also show that Angus leased lands in several locations besides Tor Castle/Torcastle, including Salachill, as well as croft 9 at "Oanich" from about 1820. The 1841 Census has him as a 60 yo farmer, not born in the county. He is married to Betsy [Elisabeth McPherson: b 3 Jan 1793 Crathy Croy, Laggan to Alexander McPherson and Mary McDonald] who is 55 yo and not born in the County.

Angus and Betsy's children are:
1) Margaret McKenzie: b 1816, m John Campbell 1829-1830, migrated with him, their nine children, and two of her sisters to Australia 1855 on the Storm Cloud, d. Lilydale, Tasmania, Australia 4 Oct 1892.

2) Donald McKenzie: b abt 1818, 1841 - he is Ag Lab, not born in County, at Torcastle, 1844/5 - he is "heir of Angus McKenzie", d. 1852 - Tor Castle is handed to Thomas Paterson because Duncan McKenzie, heir of Donald McKenzie has "gone abroad".

3) Elisabeth McKenzie: b 7 Jun 1819 Strathmashie Laggan, 1841 - she is independent and living with her eldest sister, Margaret and family, at Loch Laggan Inn [Kinlochlaggan], 1855 - she migrated to Tasmania with two of her sisters, including Margaret, on the Storm Cloud.

4) Duncan McKenzie: b abt 1821, 1841 - he is a 20 yo Ag Lab, not born in the County, between 1841 and 1852 he goes "abroad". [Not found in Australian records]

5) Catherine McKenzie: b abt 1822, 1841 - she is a female servant, not born in the County, d abt 1886 Undated and unnamed newspaper clipping found among other family papers in Tasmania reads: McKENZIE-On the 23rd inst., Catherine, the daughter of the late Angus and Betsy McKenzie, of Torcastle, Argyleshire, Scotland, aged 65 years.

6) Isabella McKenzie: b 2 Jun 1825 Strathmashie Laggan, 1841 - she is a 15 yo servant at Wilton Melton or Milton, 1855 - she migrated to Australia with her two sisters on the Storm Cloud, d 4 Apr 1879 in Melbourne Australia.

7) John McKenzie: b abt 1820, 1845 - he takes over his fathers croft at Oanich "John McKenzie, son of Angus McKenzie, deceased." until 1865 [records for Lochiel Estate are not available after that date].

I have reliable sources for the information above, and have traced most of the descendants of Margaret and John Campbell's family, but would welcome more information and or advice, especially about Donald, John or Duncan's family. I have searched for their deaths using Scotland's People but have not found any conclusive data.

William Campbell was in Oanich at Martinmas 1786 when he and 5 other tenants [3 were Camerons, 1 Macmartin, 1 Mach--t] agreed on a yearly rent payable to Donald Cameron of Lochiel, so it is highly probably that William was the father of Angus McKenzie. BTW, not until after 1855 does Oanich become Onich in the Estate Records.

In case it helps others: in a written report I received from the Lochaber Archives in Fort William in 2010:
"In 1750, four MacKenzies possessed land in North Ballachulish; two at Onich; one in Glenshellach; two in Corriechurrachan, and one at Coruanan...
In the Lochiel Report for 1774 there were five MacKenzie tenants at North Ballachulish and their names are given as follows: "Donald McKenzie, Duncan roy McKenzie, John <cKenzie, Duncan McKenzie, and Donald McKenzie, ferryman." All paid 1 pound in rent with the exception of the ferryman, who had to pay 2.10/-. Each person appears to have had a lease for 21 years, which was up in 1777.'
In the baptismal register for North Ballachulish, 14 McKenzie males and 6 McKenzie females were baptised between 1774 and 1789."

I do have the Bygone Lochabor book, but it does not have information about my McKenzie family.

Many thanks for reading this,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth,
I am most interested in the information you have here, as I believe the John MacKenzie in the 1774 report of 5 MacKenzie tenants may be the father of one Ewen MacKenzie who was born in Onich, but lived Blarmachfoldach. I would very much appreciate knowing whether you have found any more information on these 5 tenants at this time.
Thank you
Liz