Author Topic: John Griffiths born Holywell 1851  (Read 6998 times)

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Griffiths born Holywell 1851
« on: Tuesday 25 September 12 21:48 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please, I am stuck on the parents of John Griffiths and have made attempts with birth certs with no success. John Griffiths married Elizabeth Roberts on 06.02.1869, they had 9 children, Thomas, William, Margaret, Elizabeth, Mary, Edward, John, Jane and George in this order. Lived in Greenfield, Holywell. I think his father may have been William and his mother, Mary, born 1804. I am not certain of the parents details as this name is so common and it is so easy to end upon the wrong path. Thank you for reading and for your help. Kind regards, Kessy
Griffiths and Mercer from Prescot, Lancashire. Maple from Wiston, West Sussex and Keeley from London.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Griffiths born Holywell 1851
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 23:41 BST (UK) »
As your so sure of the marriage date,I take it you have the 1869 marriage cert?What is John's father's occupation given as?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 00:06 BST (UK) »
I have the birth certificate for their son William and have checked their marriage and cross referenced it with Elizabeth Roberts. I am certain it to be correct but I do not have a copy of it. Of course I could be wrong. I have tried to get John Griffiths's birth certificate but have ended up with the wrong one. Quite a few with the same name and same place/date of birth, so trying a few other avenues first. Any help, tips are much appreciated.   
Griffiths and Mercer from Prescot, Lancashire. Maple from Wiston, West Sussex and Keeley from London.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 00:22 BST (UK) »
I'm still amazed that you can give an exact date for their marriage?The marriage is listed on North Wales BMD as a Civil Marriage.Therefore you would have no Parish Register to find the exact date?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 00:41 BST (UK) »
I'm also a bit worried about the birthyear of Thomas.It is given consistently as c 1868?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 21:29 BST (UK) »
I do not recall where I obtained the date but the quarter and year are correct. Thomas was born out of wedlock, I noticed this too. I have the census for 1881 and 1891 showing the family. I have also looked at the birth certificate of two of the children William and George to clarify the parents are correct and they are. If I could locate John's birth I would get a certificate. I thought I had narrowed it all down and got a certificate only to find it was not the right one.
Regards, stuck Kessy!

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 22:29 BST (UK) »
Its not easy to pinpoint John seniors birth,there are probably about twenty or so at least born in the Holywell District at this time.I've even looked on North Wales BMD but there are no pointers to him there either.All I can really suggest is that you follow up on all the children and put there facts on a Webpage.You never know you may find someone else who has John as their ancestor.

Just a thought,have you got all the details for the Elizabeth Roberts?You have to explore every available angle.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 22:50 BST (UK) »
Looking at the naming of John and Elizabeth's children,tell me what you think about the two possibles I've found?

I am looking at an Elizabeth Roberts in 1851 given as born in Holywell the daughter of a Thomas and Mary Roberts.I found last night a John Griffiths in the 1861 Census born in Holywell in c 1850 the son of a William and Margaret Griffiths.I will give full details if they are of interest.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 September 12 15:21 BST (UK) »
William, thank you so much looks like you may have struck gold. So sorry, looking through my certificates I do have their marriage certificate. 1869 - John Griffiths was a Smelson? (or the like, cannot read it properly) his father was William Griffiths and he was a labourer.

Elizabeth Roberts - domestic Servant - lived in Greenfield and her father was Thomas Roberts (deceased at the time of their marriage) and was a labourer in life.

They were married in the Elevensen Chapel, Greenfield, Holywell according to the rites and Ceremonies of the Independents by Certificate  by me (taken from bottom of certificate)

I would love to have the information you have discovered. Thank you.