Author Topic: Belfast Ireland and John Kennedy  (Read 1216 times)

Offline sandyjc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Belfast Ireland and John Kennedy
« on: Sunday 24 June 07 17:02 BST (UK) »
Is there any hope for me to ever find my John Kennedy, born 21 May 1801 in Belfast, who immigrated to South Carolina, USA, in 1819 and married Barbara Kirkpatrick there?  Barbara was born in Ireland in 24 Feb 1798.  Both of these names are so common and I don't have either of their parents names.  I found one John Kennedy born that year in Belfast, but he was a foundling.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  I have looked through the links and resources provided on this chat site.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast Ireland and John Kennedy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hello sandyjc,

Welcome to RootsChat.

You may be able to trace John and Barbara if they had children. Their Christian names might assist you to trace their grandparents. You could then check to see if the couples you find had a child named John or Barbara in the family who match the dates you already know. 

The faith followed by your Kennedys might also assist in pointing you to other sources. If you've found the names of John and Barbara on a passenger list the names of some of the other passengers and the areas where they lived may also be useful to you.

Christopher.

Offline sandyjc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast Ireland and John Kennedy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 20:52 BST (UK) »
Christopher, thanks for the response.  I do have a lot of information on children and grandchildren on my John Kennedy and where they were located. The problem with their names are the Andrews, Thomas, Johns, Margarets, and Marys   :)  It's just hard to find the older ones without something unique.