Author Topic: Dropping Mc in Argyll Surnames  (Read 4007 times)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Dropping Mc in Argyll Surnames
« on: Wednesday 29 January 14 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Evening,

For quite some time I have had a curious dead-end, which I have no got further leads on due to FindMyPast's realse of Indian records.

I have an ancestor from India named Annabella Keenan, also spelt Keinan. The church resords now on return reveal that she was was born 1791-2. Now, I can't find anyone named Annabella Keenan, or various variants thereof. But there are two Annabella McKeenans baptised in Argyll. One of these happens to be in 1791.

So my question is, in the period, 1790-1810, were there any trends where Argyll families would drop the Mc in their name.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping Mc in Argyll Surnames
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

I believe that the Mc and Mac could often be dropped or picked back up. Spellings could alter greatly (probably because a lot of people couldn't read and write and when names were recorded it depended on how the minister/church clerk/ enumerator wrote it down).
I have an Ayrshire ancestor from the same era 1790's whose name McIlhose is also recorded on OPR's etc. as McElhose, Hose, and Hosie.
Dropping the Mc was a way of Anglicising a name- http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=551&560
Scroll down to the Effects of Immigration and Migration on the above link for a brief explanation.

Do you know that your ancestor came from Argyll? You mention checking Indian records. Did she spend time in India ( army connections?)?
Looby :)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 January 14 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I had completely forgotten of my Arran ancestors who are known variously as Murphy, McMurphy, Murchie and McMurchy, in the same period the late 1700s.

I've got Annabella Keenan in India, first mention in 1811 on marriage, to a barber and perfumer. One child was children named William Pauling Smyth and another James Ross Smyth. There is a Richard Pauling listed as a witness on her marriage. Her burial gives her as born 1791-92, so I think it likely she is the one baptised in 1791.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 January 14 00:20 GMT (UK) »
How do you know she was born in Scotland?
With the name Keenan she could have been Irish or maybe even English.
Did she die in India?
Would there be a death certificate?

Sorry for the questions ;) Just trying to think of ways to establish her family background

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 January 14 01:40 GMT (UK) »
I don't know where she is from, but all of the individuals on this line appear to be Scottish. I have traced one line back to Fife. I don't think its likely she is English, but Irish is a possibility.

There were no death certificates in this period. Tracing back to Britain is as difficult as from anywhere else in this period.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 January 14 01:46 GMT (UK) »
As well as FindMyPast, have you tried the Families In British India or the India Office Family Search sites?

The India Office site shows the marriage of Annabella Kienan to William Smith with "i" instead of "y".

However, the same site also shows the births of James Ross Smyth (you have mentioned) and Mary Annabella Smyth (1815) to father William and mother Annabella Kiernan with an added "r".

The site also show the widow Annabella Smyth marrying Patick Boyle in 1821 but you may already have that.

Offline ARROWHEART

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi David.
Yes there are reasons why Highland Families would drop the Mac  from their names, particularly if moving into lowland areas.This happened in many cases when the individual or family was in transit to the main ports in lowland areas.Before being transported by emigration abroad.In the Highland and lowland history there was much animosity between old Highland celtic families and lowland scots.This was not only through highland clan raids, but also political and Religious differences. ;)ARROWHEART
Davies-Bradshaw-Lowe-McEwan-Kerry-Wolff
Also research interest in potter families in Merseyside ,Prescot,st Helens areas and Scotland and Glasgow.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 February 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I believe I'm descended from a Perthshire couple called Patrick Gallitly and Jean McRobbie. On their headstone in Moneydie churchyard her name is carved as Crobie. I suppose that was easier to carve than McRobbie, but I can't believe the stonemason would have taken the liberty of changing the name to that extent unless that was roughly how it was pronounced. Mind you, in an age when many people were illiterate, I don't suppose the families of the deceased would always have been able to tell the mason how to spell their name.

Harry

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 February 14 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your input.