Author Topic: COMPLETED: Why Would My Great Grandfather Go To South Africa 1903/1904?  (Read 7744 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
COMPLETED: Why Would My Great Grandfather Go To South Africa 1903/1904?
« on: Tuesday 02 August 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
Not having had any experience with South African family research, I wonder if somebody could help me (or point me in the right direction) as to why my great grandfather, William SWINDAIL b.1856, and his stepson, Benjamin Fairfax MANN b.1880, would go to South Africa 1903/1904?

Australian Immigration Records show both "W SWINDAIL (b.1856)" and "B SWINDAIL (b.1880)" leaving Sydney, Australia, on 14/8/1903 aboard "Ninevah" bound for Natal, South Africa. Further records show both "Mr SWINDELL (b.1856)" and "Mr MANN (b.1879)" returning to Sydney, on 29/11/1904 aboard "Geelong", from Capetown, South Africa. 

The only South African connection I know of is, the stepson, Benjamin MANN, served with the 2nd NSW Mounted Rifles during the Boer War 1901-1902. Both were stonemasons, so was it possible they were seeking employment for reconstruction as a result of damage caused during the Boer War, though I am unsure whether there was a great deal of structural damage caused?

I have all their Australian history, its just the South African history that has me wondering.......................  ???

Thanks

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline prince2010

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why Would My Great Grandfather Go To South Africa 1903/1904?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
I am not sure that there was much structural damage during the Boer war (I am no expert on this  ??? ) but all the battle sites that I remember seeing were out in the veld (bush) where there was very little infrastructure around.

Was Natal maybe where a connecting voyage was made onto the UK?
Kent/Somerset/Essex/London : Smith, Thompson, Moor, Phillipson, Goward, Jenkins, Roberts, Longhurst, Cooper, Henshaw, Ling
Lancashire/Derbyshire : Prince, Savage, Holmes, Maiden, Taylor

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 11 12:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can't recollect any major structural damage in the Boer War which warranted stonemasons from overseas to help in any reconstruction. The ship they sailed on was going to England, however, the Passenger List indicates where each passenger was to be disembarked - Natal was their port of disembarkation.

I know the period of 14/8/1903 to 29/11/1904 (less sailing time) is a small time frame to find any information on these two, however, if one doesn't try, one will never find out.

As I indicated, I've had no previous experience with South African Records, though I did manage to find the South African Archives, which didn't help greatly. A search did find "Record of Conduct of Service of Benjamin MANN - Discharge by Purchase. 1901/11/15 to 1903/10/26" which could relate to my(?) Benjamin MANN, however, there was no other information supplied.

I did find another site for old South African Newspapers, but it was by subscription, and as my query is more inquisitive than a necessity I didn't join.

I just thought a "local" may have some ideas where to have a quick look for South African Records.   :)

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 August 11 13:31 BST (UK) »
I've surfed using the word "architecture" and found that the beginning of the 20th century seemed to be a kernel for the appearance of architects and major building.

Surfing for "Natal" brought up the city of Durban which seems to be in a province of Natal ...

<<Durban (Zulu: eThekwini, from itheku meaning 'bay') is the largest city in the South African province of KwaZulu-Natal >>

and the result for "1903" was this:-

<<...the building of The Emmanuel Cathedral which was started in 1903.>>

I think we could all agree that most churches use stonemasons.

http://www.emmanuelcathedraldbn.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44:the-emmanuel-cathedral&catid=1:latest-news
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 11 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering where you found records of passenger records to SA from Australia? My Gr Grandparents left Australia possibly from Thursday island or somewhere in QLD for SA possibly via England between 1893 and 1894 when I found a shipping record from England for my Gr Grandma and her eldest son bound for Cape Town.
names Manual and Eliza Pascual with a child Vincent born 1893 on Thursday Island.

Thanks

Gillian

WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 August 11 09:20 BST (UK) »
Rena - thanks for your reply. Yes, a possibility, but nothing to confirm helping to build that structure or any other structure?

Gillian - I wasn't searching any particular immigration records, just a general name search on Ancestry. Narrowing down all the results, I found the outward voyage to South Africa was in "NSW Departing Crew & Passenger Lists 1816-1825 and 1898-1911". The inward voyage from South Africa was in "Victoria Australia Assisted & Unassisted Passenger Lists 1839 to 1923".

Therefore, I suppose a general name search for your ancestors, hoping that you may "jag" one of them on a Passenger List, whether it be an Australian Passenger List or from another country?

Les

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 August 11 12:38 BST (UK) »
Gillian - outbound, they are also listed in "Western Australia Crew and Passenger List 1852-1930" as the ship sailed into Albany, WA, on its way to South Africa.

Les

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick update on this topic.

I've just been reading old Australian newspapers of the day, and in 1903, there were many reports of good work prospects and money to be earnt in South Africa for Australian tradesman, including stonemasons to rebuild homes damaged in the Boer War.

By 1904, the news articles had completely reversed, indicating there was little work, and in particular, there  was actually no work whatsoever for stonemasons.

These years of 1903 and 1904 fit in perferctly for my stonemason ancestors who went to South Africa in 1903 and returned 12 months later.

Les

Offline prince2010

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Interesting and now all the SAffers are trying to get to Aus.

Try this site, it requires a login which I didn't try but this is the official archives department for the local (KwaZulu) Natal government. They apparently have 3 repositories, in Ulundi, Durban and Pietermaritzburg. Durban wasn't really where the Boer War was fought so the other 2 are more likely to have what could be of interest to you.

http://www.kzndac.gov.za/LibrariesArchivesMuseums/Archives/tabid/235/Default.aspx

Good luck.
Glenn

Kent/Somerset/Essex/London : Smith, Thompson, Moor, Phillipson, Goward, Jenkins, Roberts, Longhurst, Cooper, Henshaw, Ling
Lancashire/Derbyshire : Prince, Savage, Holmes, Maiden, Taylor