Author Topic: Giles Frost and his family  (Read 7487 times)

Offline manui

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Giles Frost and his family
« on: Saturday 28 May 05 17:25 BST (UK) »
I've just found the NAAIRS website, but its search facility was 'page not found'.
Giles Sumner Frost was born c1861 in |or near Newmarket in Suffolk. He was living in London with his widowed mother in 1881, but he was not with her in 1891 and I can't locate him anywhere in 1901 in England. He must have emigrated between 1881 and 1901.

A distant relative was corresponding with a descendant in Pietermaritzburg until a few years ago - then that SA contact died.

All I know is what my grandmother told me:
Giles was in the jewellery trade. He married a 'Bohemian' lady called Emily, and they had Ludwig, Sophie, Lily and Gordon (NB not necessarily in that order);
and what someone else found out for me:
A Giles Frost died in 1950 in the Natal area (not sure if this was definitely the right Giles - he would have been nearly 90)
A Gordon Reisman Frost died in the Natal area in 1961.

Gordon's second name being Reisman gives me reason to believe that he could be Giles and Emily's son.

How can I find out any more about this family, please?

Manui

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Giles Frost and his family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 May 05 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Just quickly reading the posting without doing any lookups or anything, I know that the Frost family had a jewelery business - I got my engagement and wedding rings from them 27 years ago. The dad was probably in his 60's then and his son was Bruce.
I will try and get hold of Bruce and see what he knows - they had been my husbands family jewellers for years.
Ruth
i think the archive site is overloaded tonight - it bombs out when it is! i will keep trying for you
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manui

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 May 05 19:25 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thankyou. If it is the same Frost family, that will be brilliant and I can't believe you were able to come back to me so quickly.
Giles Frost was my grandmother's uncle, her mother's younger brother. Although Nan was never very literate, she had a fantastic memory for family details. It seems she is being proved right again because, in 1881, Giles was a hairdresser and not in the jewellery trade, so I had no proof of what she told us.

Manui

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 May 05 13:03 BST (UK) »
 Hi Manui,
Here is the death notice info from NAAIRS so it certainly looks like the right one.
i have spoken to Bruces wife and she says that she does not know of a Giles Frost but would ask him or his mum - she is 87 years old so is likely to know if he was related. I hope to go to the archives reasonably soon so can look up the death notice for you. I see Gordons death notice in 1966.
Will let you know what Bruce knows.
Ruth
     FROST, GILES SUMNER. BORN IN NEWMARKET, ENGLAND. PR/SP FROST, EMILY.             DECEASED ESTATE.                                                     STARTING  19500000                                                              ENDING    19500000       

Offline manui

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 May 05 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much.
If it is the same family, I have a photo of Giles' mother, Lydia Sumner, some of his Frost siblings, another of his Frost grandparents' tombstone in Exning,  and lots of family details if these things are of interest to them.
Manui

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 May 05 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Just had a long conversation with Bruce. Unfortunately not the same family as they came out from Scotland in 1902. He has not heard of the name at all but said there is  a Prof in cape Town that has done the Frost family tree so Bruce said he would check and see what he could find. I think I will need to take a trip to the archives now!
Will let you know the next instalment when i have news.
Ruth

Offline manui

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 May 05 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your efforts. Quite a coincidence that two different Frost famillies should have been in the jewellery trade in the same area. (Assuming that Nan was right, that is.)

Just found a reference to the person who died recently-ish. She was Mrs M Frost, known as Billie, and it will have been at least four years ago now that she died. My notes say she had a daughter called Felicity. No reference to ages, though, so this is very vague and may be muddled, or else there was another Felicity in the family.

An oldish photo shows some of the family and on the back is written:
Sophia (the eldest (- I'd forgotten that!)) in stripe frock in middle, on left her two daughter Valerie and a boyfriend on outside - Felicity next to her mother then me and our brother Gordon, Sophia's husband Frank at back.

Offline TWB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 April 14 20:01 BST (UK) »
Giles Frost was my great-uncle  - the brother of my maternal grandfather, Frank Frost. Here are the ancestors of Giles and Frank:

Frank Frost, born 17 Feb 1868, Newmarket, Cambridgeshire, residing in Exning, Suffolk, married, 31 May 1893 , The Parish Church of St. Anne's, Bermondsey, London, Emma Weedon, born 13 Sep 1870, father: William Thomas Weedon. Frank’s brothers were: Dennis, Alfred, Giles. Sisters were: Doll, Kate. Children: Frank, Edwin, Ethel, Lydia, Violet Emily, Nell, Norah Kathleen.

Dennis Frost, born in Exning, near Newmarket, Counties of Cambridge & Suffolk, and baptized 11 Jan 1832. Married, 16 Nov 1854, The Parish Church, St. Clement Dane's, Middlesex, Lydia Sumner.

Ambrose Frost, baptized 20 May 1805, Cotton, Suffolk; married, 8 May 1828, Exning Parish Church, Suffolk, Sarah Cornwell (born 1805, Exning, Suffolk, according to 1861 Exning census).

William Frost(I), born 9th June 1776 and baptized 10th June 1776, married, 10th  Oct 1799, The Parish Church, Cotton, Suffolk, Sarah Garnham, baptized 1778 in Cotton, Suffolk.

William Frost(II) and Sarah (Baxter) Frost – William Frost was baptized 6th Nov 1752 at Horningsheath. William Frost and Sarah Baxter married 27 Dec 1773 at Horningsheath.

Giles Frost, born about 1723 in Suffolk (possibly Horningsheath), married Mary Harvey, 7th June, 1750 at Horningsheath. Giles died and was buried 30th June 1756 at Horningsheath.

Offline satis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

This is my first ever post on rootsChat.

Giles Frost was my great grandfather's brother. I see that you have a photo of Lydia
Sumner, my great great grandmother. It would be sensational to  it. Her son William
Denis Frost was my great grandfather.

I eagerly await an answer - Satis