Author Topic: landsborough/tait/carson  (Read 22622 times)

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re:LANDSBURGH gravestones
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 June 11 15:15 BST (UK) »
I'm butting in again
(Space isn't a problem here -- just keep typing or type your text in a word processor file and cut and paste it here.)
Just returned home from a morning voluntary duty in D&GFHS Research Centre in Dumfries.
Still not too busy at this time of year, so I had a look for Landsburgh and variations in the rest of Dumfries and Galloway -- found this very old McLandburgh burial in Stoneykirk graveyard in Wigtownshire.  Apart from the MIs I provided already for Kirkpatrick Irongray etc. there doesn't appear to be any more in our DGFHS archive.  Hope these have been of some use.
(NB: It is quite common in Wigtownshire to drop the Mc from surnames when recording BDMs. Also note that there is a Stranraer and a Perthshire connection recorded in this MI.)

Location Stoneykirk Wigtownshire
Source: Survey published by Dumfries & Galloway Family History Society in 2001
(See www.dgfhs.org.uk)

Erected by Robert WILSON
In Memory of
John WILSON in Auchenclay, who died 16th Decr 1742 aged 74 years
& Jean McQUISTON his spouse, who died March the 18th 1740 aged 68 years
And Jannet WALLACE, spouse to Robert McLANDBURGH, who died Decr 30th 1768 aged 95 years & Margaret WILSON, spouse to Alexr. McFREDERICK, who died June 9th 1768 aged 24 years & Grizle WILSON, who died July 13th 1768 aged 20 years
Also Alexr. WILSON, who died in Stranr. Febr 27th 1777 aged 75 years
And Margaret LANDBURGH his spouse, who died March 14th 1794 aged 86 years
Also the said Robert WILSON, son to the above Alexr. WILSON & Margaret LANDBURGH, who died in Stran[----] June 21 180[3] aged 7[3] years
[Reverse of stone]
Also William WILSON, son to Alexr. WILSON & Margaret LANDBURGH, who died at Dunning, Perthshire, Janr 1760 aged 24 years

Extent of burying ground is 3 graves breadth on the south side of the stone with 6 more to the north along the front of the stone the east the same breadth of graves on the back side of the stone to the west
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline darlomac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: landsborough/tait/carson
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 June 11 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hello again. How lucky am I, from having no info I now have lots thanks to you.  I would love to see the family tree. What a joy that must have been to research and really hard work. A chap has sent me a link to photos of the church at Iron gray and it looks so beautiful. The Taits and Carsons will take me years to research and that will keep me going when I retire. (that cannot come to soon as I will then have time to visit Dumfries.). I did know about the family search site but have not had a lot if time to go into it. Thank you for confirming what I thought about the "mc" being dropped from the surname. This will now help me researching another part of the family the McConchie's and Conchie's. Hope to hear more from you soon. dm.

Offline darlomac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks very much for more Landsborough info. It must be so good to work at the family research centre in Dumfries.  My grandmother Mary Agnes Carson lived at 33 Wallace Street Dumfries with her mother Janet Carson and brother Hugh Carson in 1901. Can you tell me anything about Wallace Street please. dm

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 19:11 BST (UK) »
[quote ] My grandmother Mary Agnes Carson lived at 33 Wallace Street Dumfries with her mother Janet Carson and brother Hugh Carson in 1901. Can you tell me anything about Wallace Street please. dm

Hi dm,
Not much I can say about Wallace Street.  It is short residential street of traditional red sandstone buildings in a quiet street lying parallel to St Michaels Street which is a busy through road.  Try Googling "Dumfries, Wallace Street" without quotes and you will get a map, try images and you will see some typical buildings.
Earlier you wrote:
<<The only time I came to Dumfries was in the 70's with my parents and mum and I spent an afternoon looking round St Michaels churchyard to try and find Gravestones of the Tait's and Carson's to no avail.>>
You should have tried the High Cemetry -- is this what you were looking for?

In Loving Memory of
Hugh CARSON, mason, who died at 20 David St., Maxwelltown, 19th July 1886 aged 37 years
And Janet TAIT his wife, who died at Brighton 18th Sept 1905 aged 62 years, and is interred here
Also Janet their daughter, who died in infancy 
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie

Offline dolour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 June 11 09:30 BST (UK) »
hello again,
had a busy week so sorry I haven't replied earlier. I have been trying to take photos of the family tree ,but I'm afraid the print is so small that they are far too blurry & even worse if you try to magnify them. I will keep trying.
Meanwhile I have re-read the accompanying booklet(140 pages) & to be honest a lot of it seems to have a pretty tenuous link to William L on our branch. However it is interesting & whilst I can't copy it all , I'll try & give you the salient bits . If you want to discover more about W L in Australia you can find that on the www.( just google him).
There as alot of research of the info in the booklet, records of land titles(sasines) ,but there also seems to be quite a bit of guess work. Since doing my own family tree I know that you need to have correct sources. After W L , born in 1768, there is pretty definite proof, but the parish records for 1768 stop in April & williams birth is not recorded.My husbands cousin seems to have depended on naming customs to "prove" his parentage. This may well be correct, but I don't think it's acceptable as proof!
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news on this score, maybe there is more info out there now? have you tried "Scotlands people "on the net? I'll try again to photo the parish records of which there are many in the book, but a lot that really don't concern your particular branch.  As I said before ,it's so easy to go off at tangents with different branches, but if you want to know about the parish records ,I'm quite happy to write it out bit by bit.  I would suggest for your research,if you're looking right now,to stick with "irongray"Kirkpatrick Irongray" Urr ,possibly "Balmacllellan & Dalry. + the churchyard memorials for these areas. They are in the booklet ,so if you can't find anything elsewhere i'll write them out for you.   "johnner kid"is obviously helping a lot too, ( & is better at photos than I am !). It's great that he has access to Dumfries records ,so hopefully between us all we can arrive at the truth for the Landsboroughs!. I'm still positive that you share the same 'line' as my husband though,so howdy cousin !!!!     Good luck with the Tait ,Carson side too. I'll keep in touch
dolour!

Offline dolour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 June 11 11:05 BST (UK) »
hi once more,
After I wrote earlier I decided to have a quick look at William L in Australia, there is loads on the net. More interesting than that though
is that there was a link to another genealogy site called We Relate, have you heard of it ?.It has info on the Landsboroughs which does seem to support the stuff I have( I'll have to study it more carefully when I have more time )
However, quite exciting from your point of view there is info on the Taits,which I feel sure must be your relations, & also the Carsons ,but I couldn't find Hugh.
So to go to the site just google WeRelate & then put the surname in the right hand box .I do hope you get some new info from it, it cerrtainly looks promising. please excuse my typing errors, ( I'm hopeless).
dolour

Offline darlomac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 June 11 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply to you but my lovely 87 year old father in law died two weeks ago and we have just held his funeral.  I haven't heard of "werelate" but intend to give it a go. Once again thanks for info on the Landsboroughs and hello cousin. You have no idea how good that feels to say it. When I started the search for my mother's family I did not think that I would have any luck at all but you have blown all my ideas out of the water. The one thing my mother was very sure of was that the family were very well to do and very well conected but her own mother would not give much away.  But considering that she had an operation to remove a brain tumour in the early 1920's I now think is was more likely that she had very little recollection. I will continue to search for the Taits and Carsons as well as my lovely Landsborough's and I have now got a lot of info from Scotlands people. I'm now awaiting the arrival of my greatgrand mothers death certificate as this will help in the search for my search in the Brighton area.  Will talk to you soon. dm

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 June 11 16:13 BST (UK) »
Am I reading your message correctly?
Did you order the ACTUAL Certificate from Scotlandspeople?
If so that is unnecessarily expensive -- except when you need a certified document for legal purposes.  You can download a graphic image of the certificate for about one UK pound.
Sy

OOPS! Yes I did read your message wrongly! I now see you ordered the English Certificate -- they do not offer the same service as is available from Scotlandspeople. 
Sy

Offline darlomac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 July 11 15:13 BST (UK) »
 :)  Hello to Dolour and Johnner Kid. I'm now back on the research trail after the trauma of the last few weeks. I now have my great grand mother's death certificate and she was staying with her son Robert Gibson in Brighton. I have found him on the early Scottish Cenus forms with the family being shown as a nephew and a boarder but no mention of him a the son of Janet Carson (nee Tait). He was born 1867/68 in Urr. How would she have registered his birth. I'm thinking that she gave him his father's surname but I cannot find him on Scotlands people.