Author Topic: Help with Andrew Boddon of Carsphairn  (Read 18798 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Andrew Boddon of Carsphairn
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 22 May 14 14:05 BST (UK) »
Could I just thank who ever resurrected this thread  :-*

I re-read it and went on a search in the FindMyPast online records and have just found William's burial in Llanfor in 1833  with an approx date of birth of 1782.  His address is given as the same one as my 3xgreat grandparents lived in when they moved from Kirkcudbrightshire.

Hi

Thanks for checking for me. His name is mentioned in a letter than one of my ancestors wrote and I've been trying to locate this particular Bodden family for a few years.

The letter refers to his early life and just before his death circa 1833.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 22 May 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
Welcome back Tom ;D I have just merged your two profiles together.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pennymercer127

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 23 May 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

I'm a descendant of Marion McMillan and Rev Peter Mercer. Marion was the sister of Margaret McMillan, who married Andrew Boddan.

I'm interested in more information about Marion's relatives, including her sisters. Marion and her husband emigrated to South Australia in 1855, but I only just discovered recently that Marion and her children were back in Kirkpatrick Durham at the time of the 1861 census which was a surprise to me.

I'm keen on building up a story about the life of my ancesters and their children, so this means I'm keen to excahnge certificates or other records or photos that help with knowing more about occupations, where they lived, family relationships etc. I'd love to know more about Margaret McMillan and Andrew Boddan and anything else you may know about the family in Scotland.

Penny
Melbounre, Australia
Mercer, Baulch, Craig, Mullins, Hearle, Wilson, Sharrock, Curran, McMillan, Johnson, Maxwell, Phelps, Hulm, Jasper, McElwee, Bryant, Garwood, Evans, Locke, McGill, McDevitt, Madders, Faulkner, Murphy, Bowles, Garwood

Offline glesgaguy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 23 May 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

I'm a descendant of Marion McMillan and Rev Peter Mercer. Marion was the sister of Margaret McMillan, who married Andrew Boddan.

I'm interested in more information about Marion's relatives, including her sisters. Marion and her husband emigrated to South Australia in 1855, but I only just discovered recently that Marion and her children were back in Kirkpatrick Durham at the time of the 1861 census which was a surprise to me.

I'm keen on building up a story about the life of my ancesters and their children, so this means I'm keen to excahnge certificates or other records or photos that help with knowing more about occupations, where they lived, family relationships etc. I'd love to know more about Margaret McMillan and Andrew Boddan and anything else you may know about the family in Scotland.

Penny
Melbounre, Australia
Hi Penny
I presume you have all the information on Marion's father Robert McMillan?

Marrions' sister Margaret married Andrew Boddon (a surgeon) they had 4 children Elizabeth(b1830)  Robina (b1832) My ancestor, Jane (b1834) and Robert (b1841)

They stayed at Crocketford for a spell before moving to Carsphairn where Margaret died in 1845 and then Andrew in 1850.

The children went to stay with the McMillan grandparents at Newbank, they can be found in the 1851 census at that address, although my ancestor Jane is not included in this census (must have been elsewhere)

Robert McMillans last Will and Testament causes me a problem as he mentions all his sons and daughters as though living, the will is dated 1847 and executed in 1853 but according to the pre 1855 Mls for Carsphairn graveyard Margaret died in 1845, and also interestingly enough names two more daughters...Marion died 1843 aged 9 months and again Marion died 1845 aged 7 months...named after their aunt Marion perhaps?

Do you have any more information about Robert McMillan? Also there are old pictures of Newbank Mill (the house Marion would have known) on the web if you Google the name.

Tom

Offline newforest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 24 May 14 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom Matt and welcome Penny.
Great to have the thread alive again. I also have not been on site for a while but have progressed a bit with tying up my line, and can hopefully add a bit more detail to some of his siblings but have not identified much in the way of professions etc other than scant details on census etc.
Will post what details I have and maybe gain a bit more for my records.
Jane

Offline pennymercer127

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 26 May 14 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have census records for some of the family in 1841 and 1851, copies of parish records for some family events in Kirkpatrick Durham and Urr, including the baptism record of Jane Boddan at Urr.

I have Robert Millian's will and that of Elizabeth McMillan, his wife. I also have photos of Newbank Mill, and Robert McMillan's dyeing handbook, taken when I visited there in 1991. To answer the question about Robert, he was born at Irongray 8 Feb 1776, but the Irongray parish records have a gap just at the time he would have been baptised.

I have copies of marriage and baptism records, and quite a birth, death and marriage certificates for the family of Marion McMillan and Peter Mercer, and one photo of Marion McMillan (Mercer) and of her gravestone at Cheltenham cemetery in Melbourne.

PM me your email address if you would like to exchange scans.

I didn't have death dates for any of the Boddon family, so didn't realise about the anomaly mentioned by Tom in Robert McMillan's will. Actually, I have very little about the Boddan family.

I wonder if any of you have researched what it meant to be a surgeon in the 1830s-1840s? I've always thought that this would be an occupation for someone living somewhere bigger than Carsphairn.

Penny
Mercer, Baulch, Craig, Mullins, Hearle, Wilson, Sharrock, Curran, McMillan, Johnson, Maxwell, Phelps, Hulm, Jasper, McElwee, Bryant, Garwood, Evans, Locke, McGill, McDevitt, Madders, Faulkner, Murphy, Bowles, Garwood

Offline glesgaguy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 26 May 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
Penny

It seems you have found as much as possible.

Regarding Andrew Boddon's title as Surgeon, it seems he was doing little more than performing minor surgery and as someone said earlier in the thread they used to be Barbers although he must have had some training, maybe he could do amputations, which would be required around Carsphairn as I understand there were some mines in the area, although I don't think it would be full time work and that's why Robert McMillan refers to him as "sometime surgeon"

My research into Andrew Boddon found a Will made by an Andrew Boddon d1839, I thought this might have been his father but Andrew the younger is not mentioned in the Will as being related, however he is mentioned in the Will as being a creditor, at the time the Will was executed it states:

Principal sum in promissory note by Andrew Boddan, Surgeon Crocketford to the defunct dated 14th November 1825.....£200.00... Interest due thereon...(unreadable)
Principal  sum in Bill by the said Andrew Boddan, Surgeon Crocketford to the defunct dated 28th January 1828 payable three days after date.....£66.5.6
Interest due....(unreadable)
On which no value whatever can be put the debtors being utterly insolvent

So it seems Andrew Boddan wasn't doing too well at that time but had well to do namesake who must have been a relation, but I can't find the connection.

Does Robert McMillan's Dyeing Handbook mention any names or contacts? I ask because Marion's sister Margaret (my GGG grandmother) her daughter Jane married a widower Silk Dyer from Glasgow, he had his own silk dyeing business, so I presume there was a business connection.

Tom